Jim Carrey Online
You are here: HomeBoard index General Discussion Off Topic

It's So Frustrating

Here is where you discuss everything under the sun, just keep it clean.

It's So Frustrating

Postby Cheryl Anna » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:20 am

I went to a relative's mobile home for the weekend. I had a lot of anxiety about it:
First of all-my 2 year old golden retriever was going, and this was her first trip to another person's house.
Secondly--As a lot of you know-I have Cerebellar Ataxia (I have been becoming more and more physically handicapped since I was 17)
The trip was 3 hours. The dog was so good in the car-just stayed near my feet all the time.
When we got there I left one wheelchair at the bottom of the steps, climbed the steps, and used another wheelchair inside the house.(My older brother put the outside wheelchair away at night-the dog did not need to go out at night, and he said he would take her out in the morning.)
The first day, it was hard to climb the stairs-I almost fell twice, and the last day I fell backwards onto the steps. My brother took her out the first morning, but on the second morning- he got the wheelchair out so I could.
I had to sleep on a 3 inch mattress. It was fine the first night, but the second night I grabbed the wheelchair to get up and the arm rest came off and I fell on the mattress and the dog (The dog and I were not hurt).
It's hard to become handicapped.
I did have fun, though.
When I walked the dog in the mobile home park-I lifted my feet and let the dog run. FAST----FUN!!
And--I had fun seeing the relatives.
Cheryl Anna
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby xmassmurdere » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:48 am

sorry to hear you were handicapped. on the bright side, you DID have fun
xmassmurdere
Horton Hears a Who!

Postby wonderbunny » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:15 am

My father has been using a wheelchair and walker for short trips for the past six months. He's been slowly deteriorating. I empathize with your struggles. He is absolutely beside himself loosing his mobility. My parents also live in a senior retirement mobile home and there are only stairs to enter so he stay inside most of the time. He was hospitalized two weeks ago for surgery and upon his return, he started up the stairs and collapsed at the top. We did the 911 and CPR, he was returned to ICU and he hasn't moved since. Now he's suffered a stroke and his legs no longer move. He can't speak either. Thank God for the firemen who saved his life. We visit, but what a differece a month makes. I can only imagine the joy you felt with your dog pulling you in your chair - Wee!
wonderbunny
Lemony Snicket

Postby quirky » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:29 am

Cheryl, you need some Jim interviews on tape. I'f you're willing to pt me your address, I will send them to you.

You always make me realize that no matter how rotten things seem, some people have it worse.

Love,
Jill
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Jimenem » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:40 pm

I couldn't possibly truly understand your frustration, but I can speculate and it seems that your handicap has not hindered you in any way (apart from mobility) you still have a fun loving spirit, and a good heart. You are truly an inspiration to us all! :D
Jimenem
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Niobe » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:31 am

You know wheelchairs are so practical for those who need them, but they are so damn annoying too.
I was in one for a while after an RTA a few years back. I couldn't walk for a long time and was equipped with a wheel chair. There are so many pros and cons to using them, but I have to say I fell out of mine countless times. Frustrating at the time, but I have to say I had to smirk at the ridiculousness of it sometimes.
Cheryl, those damn chairs seem like no help at all sometimes, but then again you have smile at yourself and realise what you can do at the same time. 8)
I hope you can continue to control the little quandries life throws at you and come out smiling.
:D
Everybody should believe in something.
I believe I'll have another coffee!
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Return to Off Topic