You are here:
Sonic the Hedgehog topped the box office for a second time23 Feb 2020
By Tommy Pihl (Web correspondent)
In its second weekend, "Sonic the Hedgehog" outpaced Harrison Ford and a CGI dog "Disney's The Call of the Wild" to take the top spot at the North American box office.
The CGI and live-action Jim Carrey hit based on the popular Sega games, smashed the $100 million milestone at the domestic box office after collecting $26.3 million at U.S. theaters in its second weekend and its total is $106.6 million after ten days.
We at Jim Carrey Online expect it to finish around $165 million, it will bring it up in Top5 all time for Jim Carrey. Sonic is Jim's first movie to break the $100 million milestone since 2009's A Christmas Carol and Sonic is looking to finish up as Jim's highest grossing movie since 2003's Bruce Almighty which grossed amazing $242 million.
Internationally, Sonic added another $38.3 million, pushing the international cume to $96.5 million for a global tally topping $203 million. New openings were led by Russia with $6.3 million while the UK still leads the way overseas with a cumulative total of $19.1 million.
Next week it is set to open in Indonesia, Finland, India, Poland and Vietnam. China may be pushed for a later release.
Top Video Games
The movie now sits just behind The Angry Birds Movie as the fourth largest video game adaptation domestically of all-time.
1. Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019) - $144.0 million
2. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) - $131.1 million
3. The Angry Birds Movie (2016) - $107.5 million
4. Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) - $106.6 million
5. Rampage (2018) - $101.0 million
6. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) - $90.8 million
7. Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back (1998) - $85.7 million
8. Mortal Kombat (1995) - $70.5 million
We at JCO will keep you updated as more news come.
-- Source: Box Office Mojo. Click to comment this article.
» Send to friend
« Newer article | Overview | Older article »