Jim Carrey Online

Couple questions about ESOTSM

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Couple questions about ESOTSM

Postby KC8t80 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:51 am

Who is the faint voice at the beginning of the movie? the one where Joel is at the house on the beach. Is it Naomi or Clem?

What is clem sniffing in the train scene? Some kind of inhailer?

and

Is drawing Joel's career or just a hobbie?
I am part of an elite group of people......THE MEN OF JCO.

(Standing member since July 18th, 2005)

THE FEW AND THE PROUD!!!!
KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Niobe » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:45 pm

Hmm, can't quite remember that faint voice at the beginning (good excuse to watch the film again! :wink: )

The thing Clem is sniffing is a bit like the 'Vick Sticks' my Dad used to use on his nose. They unblock your nose when you have a cold or something. All menthol like. You give it a good ole sniff and it really does do the trick.

I'm trying to remember if they mentioned in the book (screenplay one) about Joel's job, but I can't remember so I'll have to go back and check, but I'm thinking that his job may involve something like that. Got that psychic feeling...... *do-do, do-do...*
Everybody should believe in something.
I believe I'll have another coffee!
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Re: Couple questions about ESOTSM

Postby Niobe » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:05 am

KC8t80 wrote:Who is the faint voice at the beginning of the movie? the one where Joel is at the house on the beach. Is it Naomi or Clem?

The movies gods were clearly smiling down on me tonight, as what turns up on TV but the very film!! :D
Anyways, that voice is so faint it's hard to say who it is. But he is talking about Naomi at the time, so perhaps it's supposed to be her? :?
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby KC8t80 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:26 am

that was my thought....but i figured it was clem....since the beginning of the movie is after he has his memory wiped so certain things they show tend to have an audio-like flash-back and the house is sugnificant to her and Joel.

but who knows.

KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Clemmy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:03 am

I don't remember any voices besides Joel's at that part of the movie... I'll have to watch it again... But, now that you mentioned Naomi... there is a deleted scene in which Joel calls Naomi and basically says that it is not a good idea to get back together at that point... then he calls Clem. So... who knows...!
Clemmy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Niobe » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:06 pm

If you have the two disc version you get to see even more deleted Naomi scenes. She actually seems very sweet too. Well, as much as you can say that about a fictional person. Lol.

Some of my favourites scenes are the deleted ones from Clem's flat when she and Joel are talking (the 'Blue Ruin's bit). They do pretty much all the bits from the original screenplay, and I think those scenes are so beautiful, sensitive and intimate. :)

As for that voice.....I'm gonna have to watch the whole of the start of the film again (what a chore! :roll: ) and try and listen/view in context.
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby KC8t80 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:18 pm

i'm left out the addtional deleted scenes snice i only have the single disc DVD.....i can only get the 2-disc online.

but i am going to watch it again and see if it is who i think it is.

KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby nina » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Some of my favourites scenes are the deleted ones from Clem's flat when she and Joel are talking (the 'Blue Ruin's bit). They do pretty much all the bits from the original screenplay, and I think those scenes are so beautiful, sensitive and intimate.

that is from the two disc version, right? cause I can't remember that from the single one..
"Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile,
and finds in your presence that life is worth while.
So when you are lonely, remember it's true
Somebody somewhere is thinking of you."
nina
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:58 pm

yep......it's worth getting that one..................

fluffy :wink:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby nina » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:04 pm

yeah, I want that one soooooo much!! anyone who wants to buy it to me? O:) .......
nina
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Niobe » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:07 pm

nina wrote:yeah, I want that one soooooo much!! anyone who wants to buy it to me? .......

I think you need to sweet-talk a relative with a credit/debit card and get them to buy it online for you. :wink:

There's a lovely interview with Kate Winslet and Michel Gondry too. Lots of great extra extra's. 8)
Plus in mine you got a fantastic little press book thingy, not sure if that was standard but it had some gorgeous photos and quotes inside. Like this one from Jim:

"The screenplay hit a nerve in me. Although it's complex, it's very relatable. It's one of those rare times where you are involved in something that makes you thankful for your painful experiences, I could not have played the part without living it."

Aawwww, bless him.
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:44 pm

yeah it hit a nerve with me too.................that's what drew me to this site i guess........but there's something else.......i'm still figuring it out.......

fluffy :?
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Niobe » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:09 pm

True.....if Jim hadn't have played Joel Barish in that film I'm not sure I'd have made it here to JCO. :-k That film, his portrayal, Joel's character, the stuff I've read and found out about the film and its making since.......just blew me away. I've seen some remarkable films in my life, but I can honestly say that no film has ever made an impression on me like ESOTSM did. Has. Some things just touch you like that......

But, there is something else about Jim too....there's some kind of draw there that other actors can't manage....
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby nina » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52 pm

Who is the faint voice at the beginning of the movie? the one where Joel is at the house on the beach. Is it Naomi or Clem?

I had to check this, it made me really curious, and I found out; It's Clementine :wink: the faint voice is saying "It's our house, just for tonight, we are David and Ruth Laskin" just like Clementine said when they were at the house in his last memory.
nina
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Niobe » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:45 am

Whoah! Well spotted Nina. =D> You must have had the volume turned up real loud to catch those words.
Another mystery solved. 8)
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Next

Return to (2004) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind