Jim Carrey Online

Portrayal of Mexican-Americans

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and PSP.

Portrayal of Mexican-Americans

Postby tomviccon55 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:08 am

My father joined the army at 17 years of age and joined his four brothers to fight in Europe in WWII. Both of my uncles on my mothers side served in WWII as well. My Grandfather on my mothers side fought in WWI. My Grand Uncle on my fathers side fought in WWI. I lost a second cousin in Korea and one of my cousins fought in Vietnam.
My father came back from Europe and got his degree in Mechanical Engineering as did his old brother. My oldest brother is a lawyer. My nephew is a reporter for the Boston Globe. I have a second cousin that is a doctor working in Houston's Medical Center. We also have a registered nurse, two accountant, artists, musicians. etc.
My Aunt Adella and my Uncle Nick went to the conservatory of music, in the late thirties! My Aunt became a piano teacher and taught hundreds of students to play classical music. My uncle was a fantastic jazz pianist, he passed away this year.

Why does Hollywood continue to portray Mexican-Americans as gardeners,
illegal immigrants and house keepers? We are dark rich brown Mestizo (Spanish and Indigenous) Mexican-Americans and we work in all industries and professions. ....I can't even speak Spanish!
Did you know Mr. Carrey, that Mexicans and Mexican-Americans have fought in every American war, including the Revolutionary War.

If you were to beleive Hollywood, Mexican-Americans never contributed to the growth or the development of this country. Saving Private Ryan did not portray one Mexican-American in WWII, though we served and died in great numbers. Pearl Harbor, Hamburger Hill....My uncle Ernest helped to liberate a concentration camp during WWII, but Spielberg refused to cast a Mexican-American in Schindlers List or in any of his movies for that matter.

And by the way, this is a very funny movie, but I must stand up for my people.....and I could care less what any of you racist think out there, so keep your Klan mentality to yourself.

I'm only asking you Mr. Carrey...help us to stop this disgracefull dicrimination of the Mexican-American in Hollywood. Anthony Quin and Montalban tried to break those barriers, but they were only two Mexican men against a sea of blue eyed racists.

Thanks for giving me a place to post my anger
TC
tomviccon55

Postby xmassmurdere » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:16 am

there still are numbers of illegal immigrants in southern california. but not everyone (not me at least) think that all mexicans are illegal immigrants and gardeners. it is unfortunate that you feel so upset but it wasnt really jims fault so you shouldnt put all of the blame on him. and he is only one man.
but other than the racist part it is good to hear that you enjoyed the movie
xmassmurdere
Horton Hears a Who!

Postby quirky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:54 pm

but they were only two Mexican men against a sea of blue eyed racists.

Speaking as someone who has blue eyes....how can you rail against the portrayal of hispanics and then spit out something like that? Do you have a mirror? Also, you won't find a bunch of Klan members here.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby johanson » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:38 pm

I understand your frustration, but I agree with Quirky...how can you spit all that out and put the blue eyed racist comment in there? It demeans your message. Do you understand how this makes us blued eyed people feel? You must. However, the issue is that I am sure there are many, many Mexican-Americans out there who have done and will do much for this country and our world. The other fact is that unfortunately, we do see on the news the escalating illegal immigration into this county and it's frustrating, and not very comical. Jim put a spin of humor on something that needs to be addressed in our country, but he is not to blame. Jim has had his experiences in working with many groups of people. I mean, he is Canadian and Canada is very diverse. He is a compassionate person and supporter of all people and there isn't many people like him in Hollywood. I would ask you what about the Mexican-Americans in the movie, who seemed more than willing to spend their day filming this and had a great time? The babysitter in the movie was Mexican-American, very sweet, very smart. My feeling is that if you wish things to change, you cannot ask another to change it for you. If you want change, you must change first and you have to make the first move. To sit back and wait for Spielberg, Howard, Schmacher, Shaddac, to make the moves and make it right, you will wait an eternity. If you care about these things, you need to be proactive, not reactive. Also, you are limited in your understanding if you think there no Mexican-American influences in Hollywood...there are many and maybe they need to hear from you. I wish you luck and prayers in your efforts. The first thing you could do is turn your anger into positive energy and start by looking in the mirror. My best friend is Hispanic, I am a Norwegian. She never calls me a blue eyed racist.
johanson
Copper Mountain

Postby quirky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:39 pm

I'm very white, I have blue eyes and blonde hair and my last name is Kaiser.

A lot of people might make an assumption because of those traits, that I'm racist...that I'm stupid...I've had it HAPPEN.

I approach people on an individual basis. I was never taught to hate.

I've seen a lot change in this country over my brief span of years here...I've seen George Lopez, Jimmy Smits, JLo and I applaud the efforts of anyone who does more to help the melting pot that is America by EXAMPLE....and not just by verbiage.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:40 pm

Obviously living in Britain we don't have Hispanic nationals but we really are a melting pot and it adds to our culture.
We teach integration and acceptance in schools and embrace other cultures and celebrate their festivals........
We do have racism however, i'm not trying to say we don't. One day a gay Indian friend of mine and i were in town shopping and he took my hand....i was quite happy it was innocent enough but apparently people behind had commented 'whats she doing with him'??.........and 'what's he doing with a blonde?'.......i was oblivious, i really came away feeling naive because i'd been brought up to be almosty oblivious to colour.....
At the moment in Aberdeen we have a huge influx of Eastern Europeans, due to the European Union agreements and i can see trouble ahead......if only folk could just accept people for what they are..........lifes hard enough........

fluffy :wink:

and i'm a green eyed Celtic blonde...........where does that put me in the melting pot??..............
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby quirky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:48 pm

In the ER, I occasionally worked with a second generation American named Miguel. Because of his name, many assumed he could translate for patients. He didn't speak Spanish and the reason he gave was, "the language of this area is English."

This would work on the life is funny thread, but I'll share it here.

One day I was training him, but we were also VERY busy...so he had to jump in and register some patients.

One of our regular patients with sickle cell anemia came in and Miguel asked him the reason for visit. He said, "sickle cell."

Miguel put "sick as hell" on the chart. I laughed 'till I cried.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby carreyd away » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:54 pm

I am Italian descent, my grandfather was a mason. Most Italians are portrayed in movies are bricklayers or mob guys. I don't take offense to it. I laugh. I am also Irish, I think we all know that the Irish are portrayed as drunken Red Sox lovin' slobs. And I laugh at that too. Comedy is a reflection on real life, it is not necessarily a bad or racist comment. Look at "My Name is Earl" I don't think my white trash bretheren are out protesting. Probably 'cause they drank their gas money...

My neighbors are from Mexico, they have three generations Mexican Americans in their household. They own several houses, own a chain of 3 landscape companies and their mother runs a maid service. There sons and daughters have all graduated from college with Agri-Business degrees. They employ many Mexican and South Americans who come into this country. They are very family oriented, they make a decent living as "gardeners." Why is being a gardener such a bad thing? You should see their yard, it is absolutely heavenly. The oldest son has come over and helped me re-landscape my back yard into a tropical paradise. I didn't hire him as mexican cheap labor, I hired him because of his ability to create and maintain beauty. I live in a Mexican neighborhood, I love it here, I wouldn't live anywhere else. There are always celebrations around my neighborhood, music, dancing and the food! I could go on for hours. One neighbor and I have a "Tamales for Ravioli" agreement. She makes home made tamales, I make home made ravioli. Works for me. So I didn't see that the mexicans in the film were portryed as lesser citizens just because they dug a hole for a hot tub in the film and planted a lawn. But in my community, I see that every day. So am I supposed to pretend it doesn't happen because someone might be offended? And is there irony in the fact that my Mexican neighbors have Mexican gardeners?
Last edited by carreyd away on Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
carreyd away
A Christmas Carol

Postby quirky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:59 pm

But in my community, I see that every day. So am I supposed to pretend it doesn't happen because someone might be offended?

That's just the pivotal question, isn't it?
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:10 am

lol.....and we all know that the Scottish are still all living like Braveheart........lol..........and all the blokes have red hair and look like groundskeeper Willie..........lol.......
And the women all dress in tartan shawls and we drink whiskey all day long............lol...........and eat porridge and turnips.........lol.......

Fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby quirky » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:14 am

You forgot to mention haggis. You gotta mention haggis.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby rirumo » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:40 am

unfortunatily i feel what all have a bad conception of us referent the jobs( the mexican people); but for i read about the movie and i dont feel what exist any denigrate or discrimination :roll: :P all oposite, but always, ( i agree), always in the movies put in jobs like gardeners or narcotraficants or domestic service;or worst like a lazy people ( us dont like that) or put Mexico like a little town with spanish music or something like that , i just say Mexico its a big, big city. Yes, in the D.F ( distrito federal)all corruption and many troubles, but in province and all countries ( like Yucatán )not, no ofense, its my humble opinion. :D :P :oops:

I´M A HARAJUKU GIRL...With WiCKed Style....
I Wanna be a Sweet Escape...
(Always keep the retro Style)
rirumo
Me, Myself & Irene

Postby fluffy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:52 am

OMG how could i forget Haggis??.......i should be ashamed of myself...........lol........thankyou for reminding me.......lol......

Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby quirky » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:44 pm

fluffy wrote:OMG how could i forget Haggis??.......i should be ashamed of myself...........lol........thankyou for reminding me.......lol......

There was also no mention of kilts and a sporran.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:06 pm

yeah ok...........you win...........lol.......
just think of the complete Scottish stereotype..........and that's what some folk genuinely think we are like.......lol.......
Sod the fact that we are world leaders in just about everything, despite our diminutive size..........
nope, according to some, we shag sheep and eat haggis...........lol..........

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Next

Return to (2005) Fun With Dick And Jane