I went to see Kick Ass 2 today!
And this is my review!
First of all SPOILERS ALERT!
If you haven’t seen the movie – please do not read this review.
I have no intentions of giving too much away but it may give you enough curiosity to know more… ^^’ Considered yourself warned!
After waiting for more than a year for this I was really happy and anxious to see it.
I have to admit it though, I did check the comic book prior to seeing the movie and I found out I was right regarding the destiny of some characters. I just flip through it but I saw enough.
I saw the first movie just to have a context for this one and after reading some mix reviews about the second, I personally didn’t felt like see it.
The only reason why I went is obviously, Jim Carrey.
I went to the first session of the nearest theater available which actually had this movie. I was disappointed at the fact that not all theaters would have it which I later found out to be a distribute company decision. I went with my dad and we were the only two people in the screen room in that session. Actually it’s not bad since it had just premiered.
I was surprise to find that I actually like the movie. I didn’t love it but I did like it.
I warn my dad about the violence of the movie which obviously has. The action scenes are pretty cool, especially if you’re someone who likes a good action movie.
There are two scenes I personally find tasteless. I didn’t think they were too bad but they definitely could be avoided and cut it out since it doesn’t bring anything to the story. I also notice one small scene of just a few seconds that was shown in clips/trailer that wasn’t there. I personally don’t like that… and in case you are wondering in the scene where both groups meet to battle and Night Bitch says: “ I know how to start this party!” and gives order to the dog to attack and therefore start the battle. That scene is in one of clips, not in the movie. Also the scene where Colonel explains Kick Ass the dogs secret identify is missing from the movie.
About the actors (Gonna leave the best for last – Jim Carrey of course!) :Chloë Grace Moretz
– I have to admit. The girl can kick some serious ass! She’s one of the best for me in the movie, when it comes to the main cast. All characters have a bit of sense of humor in this movie but she it’s the one with the best action scenes. You can see the struggle in her characters life has the tries to be a normal girl. Chloë did an awesome job in this movie.Aaron Taylor-Johnson
– His character will go through a transformation in this movie that no one is expecting… not even him. ^^ For the main character I was expecting a faster improvement on his skills but I also understand that he’s the normal guy trying to do something good and has to learn, how to get there. Aaron did an ok job but I actually think it’s not because he not a good actor but simply because the normality of Dave in comparison to Mindy makes it hard to compete.Christopher Mintz-Plasse
– When I read that he played the comic relief in the movie I thought people where joking. After all he plays the villain. But this is a villain you can’t really take seriously cause he doesn’t do anything… he bosses people to do it. He did make me laugh in some moments though. Christopher Mintz-Plasse was able to give this villain a goofy feeling. Not sure it was on purpose but if it was, thank you. If it wasn’t, thank you. ^^Olga Kurkulina
– Oh my God! For her first acting role she did a pretty damn good job. Along with Chloë she’s the only one of the villains who actually is worth fighting with and actually stay in the theater to see. Personally I hate her character for reasons I can’t disclosed yet. She’s the badass of the badass… if you consider “ The Mother F**ker” and amateur villain, I guarantee you she’s the pro!Rest of cast
- I could be talking about all the rest of the cast individually but it would take forever. Yet I have to praise Morris Chestnut , John Leguizamo, Garrett M. Brown, Donald Faison, Lindy Booth, etc. For being the voice of reason of Mindy, Chris D'Amico and Dave. Also for the support on showing that it’s when it gets tough that people stand by our side.
But no matter how much I appreciate this actors my main reason to see this movie was Jim Carrey.
The biggest down side for me is that Jim is only in 10 minutes of this movie.
I have to be honest enough to say that I don’t think the author was fair is his statements regarding the fact that Jim chose not to promote this movie. Not only cause he didn’t do his homework but also because of the hypocrisy of the situation.
I think it’s hypocrite to use the image of Jim in the way they did to promote it and he’s only in 10 minutes of a 100 minutes movie. I get it why they use it, after not, not much talk show publicity was being done, but in that case he should have done his homework and shut the hell up. So, since I’m review the movie…. I think Mark should swallow his ego.Now. About Jim. ^^
For me, he’s the best in the movie along with Chloë.
He plays a real cool dude and the vibe of goodness it’s definitely transmitted.
Even though he mentors these people by creating the Justice Forever I was so sad at how his storyline ended. It really touched me and trust me that when you guys see the movie you will feel it too.
You can tell he really did care a lot about the community and the people who join Justice Forever. In fact I have to add that the sound track during his scenes was perfect! It gave even more impact to them! Well done!
My favorite scene is the last we see of him in this movie. I felt a range of emotions all through my body and heart. I felt angry, I felt like crying, I felt happy, I felt God… I felt! I can stay indifferent and it’s all thanks to Jim as his amazing performance. One I wish I had seen more of!
Oh and the dog is so darn cute! Her real name his Cinna and interacts so well with Jim.
Overall I would give the movie a thumbs up to watch, if not for anything else… the 10 minutes of Jim Carrey are damn worth it!
I took some pics of the promotional poster I found. Don't mind the last one with me. I ask my dad to take a pic of me near the poster but my dad sucks at taking photographs and the photo is blurry... ^^
FYI: The Portuguese tittle for this movie is "Kick Ass 2: Agora É A Doer" which means something like "Kick Ass 2: Now It's Gonna Hurt" - they added the subtitle so they can put something in Portuguese, they normally do this. I was happy to find though that in the subtitles they keep the English names of the characters. Thank the lord!^^