Jim Carrey Online

Box Office

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Box Office

Postby TNPihl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Distributor: 20th Century Fox
Cast: Jim Carrey, Carla Gugino, Ophelia Lovibond
Release Date: June 17, 2011
Theaters: 3,338
Production Budget: $55 million
MPAA Rating: PG
Running Time: 95 minutes

How much do you think it will gross on the 3 day opening weekend? And how much will it gross domestic (US gross)?
Join Jim Carrey Online on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Re: Box Office - Predict

Postby TNPihl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:46 am

$110 million
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby Nick » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Wikipedia says that the film's budget is $65 million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_Popper's_Penguins_(film)
Nick
Batman Forever

Postby indy-jones » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 pm

$40 to 50 million depending on how much Green Lantern will be getting!

In the next week, it will drop significantly when Cars 2 and Bad Teacher come out!
indy-jones
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Postby Nick » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Opening weekend: $30 - 35 mil.
Gross domestic (US): $135 - 140 mil.
Nick
Batman Forever

Postby TNPihl » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:52 pm

It grossed $6.5 million Friday. Weekend between $17-22 million
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby TNPihl » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:09 am

$6.5 again Saturday. It was bad, it should have grossed more. Typically family movies will have a boost on Saturdays. :( Weekend between $17-19 million.
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby grinchy steve » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:39 am

I don't get it. When "The Number 23" or "Phillip Morris" came out, I thought it was normal they wouldn't score big time. But this is popular Jim Carrey material, with penguins, a solid summer movie for the whole family, right on time. The trailers, clips and posters were all showing that.

If thát's not working for Jim ... what will? Some of the reviews shared the same point. "Jim Carrey is now officialy in the world of Murphy and Williams." They mean that they were big stars that tried some different things and then started to shine in family-movies where they had to share there time with another ... something and tried to claim there status as hottest comedian ever but failed. Will Ferrell is also there now. (Land of the Lost) I guess that might the impression or thought people had?

It's exactly what I was thinking when I first heard about the project. Jim Carrey needs a project like "Bruce Almighty" or "Ace Ventura 3" (old glory is hot) to do that. He needs his own movie, where HIS character is the big star and things aren't about something else. And if that's not working, I think it happened : The world is looking for something new. On the bright side : There's not one comedian out there that had the almighty status thát long and keeps scoring big time while 75% of the reviewers still claim Jim is a big talent and he's not the reason why the movie is bad. There's the difference between Carrey and the old gang like Murphy.

Next week : CARS 2 ... Popper is not able to keep up with that. On the bright side, in Europe this movie will score, I'm sure. Most people keep up with the established artists like Jim Carrey. They don't constantly throw the old out for something new (unlike USA) ... Ferrell, Carrell, the Apatow-gang, ... they aren't half as popular here as they are in the US. They are not even realy big stars that everyone knows. And then there's Jim Carrey.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby TNPihl » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Welcome back Steven. :)

Yea I was also a bit surprised when I saw the box office results. It will not be the big success we hoped for. With many Summer movies out the next couple of weeks it will be very difficult for it, I doubt it will have big legs. Saturday and Sunday should have been the days for children to see the movie. I guees the problem is that many children haven't seen many of his big hits in the beginning of his career. Dumb & Dumber and Ace Ventura are more than 16 years old now. So just his name is not a guarantee for success anymore.

It will probably gross between $55-80 million in the USA. I also think it will be a bigger hit in the rest of the world. It will easily gross $100 million.
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby ilyjimcarrey » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:13 pm

I just want to say: GO FEMALES!! XD 56% of the population is awesome. haha! :ace: I went of friday to see it and thought it was amazing!
ilyjimcarrey
Copper Mountain

Postby Mrs.Popper » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:20 pm

Jim Carrey did every press junket he was suppose to do.It was the Marketing dept to sesiouslyto blame.Fathers day weekend was one week to late to release it.It was up against super hero Green Lantern.Fathers always drag their offspring to their childhood hero movies.Marketing did not research that angle,and back here,Omaha is hosting College World series,so most Dads have sons at that event.Also,Marketing should have picked a rainy season to premiere it,bad weather drives people to Movies.I would know,I was a theather employee for 3 years.Ya did your best Jim. it should go to DVD sales asap if Numbers dont go up at Box office.
Mrs.Popper
Introducing Janet

Postby Mrs.Popper » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Oh yeah ! and Cars 3 comes out next week & Tom Hanks new Movie. The other Cable guy started 3 weeks ago promoting Cars 3. Him and Jim Carrey were on 2 different Morning shows at same time last thursday trying to Out promote.like I said, Jim carried the Movie Great as he is,marketing dept ....let him down.O.K I'm done bashing marketing.Just wanted to defend Jim.
Mrs.Popper
Introducing Janet

Postby chips and dip » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:49 pm

I agree with everything that Steve said. Something like Yes Man was the right idea, which is why it did so well.
The obvious problem with it was the difference between him and the rest of the cast. Even then, in my opinion, it would've been fine if they would've just acknowledged it through a joke or otherwise.
Something in the pg-13 range that most kids can still see is where he can thrive. It attracts the biggest target audience possible.
The biggest thing that needs to happen, no matter what project he picks up next, is that Jim needs total creative freedom. It's been said before and this isn't the last time it will be said. :D Give him a good character (or let him create his own), turn the camera on, and let him go. :D :lol:

It's worked every time. :D
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Whilst i've not seen it yet i confess i thought it a little strange to release it in Summer when everything about penguins and snow implies an Xmas/Winter movie.......
Yes Man was a success because it suited him........he was well advised..... :D
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby cotton » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:55 pm

The commercials are saying its the number one movie in America and you guys are acting like it did really bad
www.youtube.com/user/jimcarreyonline
cotton
JCO Staff

Next

Return to (2011) Mr. Popper's Penguins