Jim Carrey Online

Possible bad news

Discuss this movie. Filmed April 29-June 30, 2008
Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Possible bad news

Postby fluffy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:59 pm

reported in the times online.

McGregor gay film too risque for cinema
I Love You Phillip Morris, which features a graphic homosexual romp, has failed to find a US distributor

Toby McDonald
A prison comedy starring Ewan McGregor and Jim Carrey as gay lovers may not be shown in American cinemas because it is considered too risqué.

I Love You Phillip Morris, in which the stars play inmates who find love behind bars, has failed to find a US distributor and is expected to go straight to DVD.

Film industry insiders said the movie, which features a graphic sex scene and frequent references to gay sex, had fallen foul of anti-gay prejudice in America.

Carrey plays Steven Russell, a married policeman from Texas, who comes out of the closet and then becomes a conman to fund his flamboyant gay lifestyle.

He is sent to prison, where he meets and falls in love with Morris, played by McGregor. Following Morris’ release, Russell escapes from prison four times to be reunited with him.

The $13m (£9.3m) film is based on the true story of Russell, who was sentenced to more than 100 years behind bars because of his repeated escape attempts.

The independent movie, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year, has attracted mixed reviews, with one critic for Variety, the movie bible, remarking that the “clingy physicality of Steven and Phillip” and “spectacular, ride ’em-cowboy sex scene” would give some fans of Carrey’s mainstream movies a heart attack.

Lewis Tice, director of publicity and marketing, at distributors TLA Releasing, said he believed the graphic homosexual sex depicted in the film had turned off distributors.

“The depiction of the sexual activity was far more than I’ve ever seen in a mainstream film with a mainstream celebrity,” he said. “There’s a graphic sex scene in the first 10 minutes that I was surprised to see.”

Tice added: “Lesbian gay bisexual and transvestite cinema is still seen as an underground, specific genre. When it comes to Hollywood mainstream, they want the widest audience possible for the amount of money they spend.”

Scott Stiffler, author of Why Hollywood Avoids Gay Movies, added: “Mostly straight, multiplex-going audiences don’t want to see a romantic comedy in which two dudes get it on; unless it is meant as a joke.

“Even Brokeback Mountain, which grossed $83m domestically, couldn’t come close to the $120m gross that I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry [about two heterosexual men who enter into a civil partnership as part of a pension scam] made in the US.”

Britain is one of only a handful of European countries where a deal has been secured to show the movie, which is due for cinema release this summer. The film is currently being re-edited in a last ditch attempt to find an American distributor. If it fails to do so, it will go straight to DVD.

The failure of the movie to secure a cinema deal in the US will be a blow for both Carrey and McGregor.

Carrey, who was paid more than £10m per film following the success of The Mask, has had a string of recent flops.

Meanwhile, McGregor’s political thriller, Incendiary, in which he starred alongside with Michelle Williams, failed to set box offices alight.

Yesterday Andrew Lazar, the producer of I Love You Phillip Morris, insisted a deal will eventually be found.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article5908016.ece

:?
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby lammy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:27 pm

:? Too bad Jim hasn't expressed his feelings about the whole thing.
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby grinchy steve » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:24 pm

There's one thing I hate about those articles. Saying things that aren't true at all.

"Carrey, who was paid more than £10m per film following the success of The Mask, has had a string of recent flops. Meanwhile, McGregor’s political thriller, Incendiary, in which he starred alongside with Michelle Williams, failed to set box offices alight."

Carrey had only two movies that were supposed to do good at the box office that didn't get the highest numbers ever. 'Fun with Dick and Jane' and 'The Number 23', wait ... what am I saying? They both did well. They did better than 70% of the movies coming out each week. So, tell me, where are the flops?

McGregor never was and still isn't the guy that gets people to the theatres and I guess he'll never will be. Saying 'Incendiary' didn't score some high numbers is like saying most people have ten toes. You know, that's not the kind of movie and/or cast that are supposed to get box office gold.

... okay, on topic, shall I ...

IF this article is true/right in any way, that's bad news for both of them. It's like a black spot on their carreer when you think about the near future and the projects they will get, or not. For the movie-lovers or fans it won't make a difference, however. The reasons don't make any sense to me. It should get a distributor ... now.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby TNPihl » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Last week Variety wrote about the US distribution. I think they are very close to a deal now. There are still good chances for it.
Join Jim Carrey Online on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby lammy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:21 pm

One question...(lol) while shooting the movie Jim never asked himself if some scenes in the movie were a bit to much for a movie? :lol:
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:22 pm

nah........he was enjoying himself too much to notice...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby 123Dan123 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:11 pm

This is just a journalist writing bull**** to get attention to his articles.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Return to (2010) I Love You Phillip Morris