Jim Carrey Online

Phillip Morris leaves Sundance without a distributor!

Discuss this movie. Filmed April 29-June 30, 2008
Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Phillip Morris leaves Sundance without a distributor!

Postby TNPihl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:29 pm

Many of the unsold movies have found a distributor. A handful of high-profile films that entered and left Sundance Film Festival was "I Love You Phillip Morris. :(

Text from an article:

Also still on the table were “I Love You Phillip Morris,” a gay-themed loved story with Jim Carrey.

“Spread,” which featured Ashton Kutcher as a gigolo, was considered a hot title, but it did not sell until late Friday, for about $3.5 million, to Anchor Bay Entertainment.

Some of the unsold films will eventually find distributors for prices lower than sellers would like. Others will wind up making their debuts on cable television rather than in theaters. Still others may ultimately land, as did “Humpday,” on video-on-demand services, which are beginning to transform the independent film market.

Full article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/26/busin ... ce.html?hp
Join Jim Carrey Online on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby fluffy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:36 pm

geez.........don't let that happen to this film!!!!!............. :(

fluffy :(
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby chips and dip » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:51 pm

fluffy wrote:geez.........don't let that happen to this film!!!!!............. :(

Please...
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:57 pm

chips and dip wrote:
fluffy wrote:geez.........don't let that happen to this film!!!!!............. :(

Please...

If I only knew more about how the whole distributing goes/which I need to learn for a project am on the way to doing...I'd give more of an opinion. Can anyone here inform me on how the process goes? By the way that news sucks.
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:00 pm

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
this is way too exciting a movie to get shafted, the critics LOVED the movie....the performaces were great!

fluffs :(
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby 123Dan123 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:05 pm

I can't picture this movie not getting a distributor. I still think it'll find one.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby SA JCFan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:25 am

I think the problem is how to market the movie if they decide to distribute it. They can't treat it like like that "Chuck and Larry" or "Brokeback Mountain". Also, since it's from the writers of "Bad Santa", the raunchiness might be a turn off too.

This is going to be tricky.
SA JCFan
The Cable Guy

Postby indy-jones » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 am

I'm sure there's plenty of independent distributors that might be interested in a film as groundbreaking as this. Look back at Focus Features (Universal) that took a gamble with Brokeback Mountain and succeeded. Maybe they can take another gamble with it, or I think that Paramount Vantage should release it because that's my only random studio thought!
"Snakes! Why it had to be snakes?"
-Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
indy-jones
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Postby chips and dip » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:57 am

Focus Features did Eternal Sunshine.
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 am

Ah-okay I understand now. They are looking for someone to multiply the film to have it seen at the theatre? Don't most independent films go through this process? If it was a real production agency they wouldn't go through this process? Sorry about the questions. :D But do the ones that are produced by a production agency still have to go through the same process? Without Sundance there is no way? I have to know before I really make an opinion. :D
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:15 am

And I just wanted to add this: It's okay if another country sees it before US. I mean the movies for P.R. always come in a month later than the US. I don't mind. As long as it gets seen in the US. No biggie. :D
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby grinchy steve » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Normaly most films do find a distrubitor at such a festival. I'm realy suprised that Philip Morris didn't. I thought 'Fox Searchlight', 'Independent Films' or perhaps 'Focus Features' would be the one. I'm sure someone will take the risk eventually.

There's one thing I like to correct. There's been said that IF the movie can't find a distrubitor for the USA, it won't be showing anywhere else. That's not right. I can't think of a title right now at this moment, but it has happend before that a movie does show in Europe, although it doesn't have a distrubitor for America yet. Also, maybe you will be able to see it at other festivals all over the world.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

It will find a Distributor Soon!

Postby Citizen24 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:19 pm

I think it'll be picked up pretty soon we have to keep in mind that possibly of all the flicks which were shown at Sundance Festival this is probably the most Priciest one in terms of Budget (although by Jim's Standards it is a low budget film) therefore the asking price of this film will be much more higher than the other ones which were picked up by the studios. But with Great Reviews all around and the fact that it has Jim in it, it's just a matter of time before the producers & the studios come to an agreement.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
Citizen24
High Strung

Postby sianlee » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:14 pm

I can't believe they cannot get a distributor. I really want to see the movie :(
sianlee
Horton Hears a Who!

I have some opinions on why it didn't go or why its ...

Postby Canadian Jayne » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:29 am

taking time, but I'm not sure he would appreciate my
comments, so perhaps it's best to keep my opinion
to myself.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Next

Return to (2010) I Love You Phillip Morris