Jim Carrey Online

Phillip Morris Reviews

Discuss this movie. Filmed April 29-June 30, 2008
Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Postby 123Dan123 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:50 am

chips and dip wrote:Wait! It's not coming out in America?!

It probably will, they'll get a distributor eventually for US.

As for the review, yet another positive one. I'll be honest, it sounds like there are gonna be some uncomfortable moments for a lot of viewers, but oh well.

I can't wait to see it. Also it says it has a distributor everywhere besides US at the moment. Does that include Canada?
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby chips and dip » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:43 am

I would geuss Canada has one but I don't know. :?
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby cotton » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:27 am

According to Tommy it can't be released anywhere until the USA gets a distributer. Once they get a distributer then the USA will get a release date then other countries will too. So in other words Chips if we don't get it nobody will. ;)

Here is another review

http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=4807955
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby lammy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:46 am

It's not like it's a xxx movie. :roll: This can change the way some feel about gays. But I bet if it were 2 females it would have been taken before it was made. LOL :D
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:29 pm

it'll get a distributer.......it might not be immediately but it WILL get one :wink:
have faith.........

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby grinchy steve » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:07 pm

Sure it will. I'm a bit suprised it didn't yet, but there's no doubt with the positive vibe around this, someone will take the movie under his wings.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby TNPihl » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:27 pm

I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS

by Scott Knopf (2009-01-24)
2009, Un-rated, 100 minutes

So they guys who wrote “Bad Santa” (2003) directed a gay romantic comedy? This should be interesting.

The buzz around this movie sounded a lot like this, “It’s the movie where Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor kiss!” So, that’s what I went into it expecting. If all they do is kiss, maybe it happens in a Truth or Dare game. Maybe they have to kiss to hide from the cops. Remember Gene Hackman walking through the dance club in drag at the end of “The Birdcage?” Something like that. But this isn’t the movie where Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor kiss. This is the movie where Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor kiss—and then blow each other. Shocking as that was, even more surprising was watching Carrey cross the “finish line” into some random guy’s posterior. But don’t let all the gay sex fool you, this is a love story.

Steven Russell is a gay con man. But he wasn’t always…well, he was always gay…but he wasn’t always a con man. Make sense? After finding out that he was adopted, a small town boy decides to become the best person he possibly can. He joins the police force, marries a lovely woman (did I mention he hadn’t come out of the closet yet?), and has an equally lovely daughter. After using his police connections to find his birth mother, he and his family move to Texas where he gets a job working for a produce company.

Everything seems peachy keen until a SURPRISE T-BONE CAR CRASH, everyone’s favorite overused movie sequence happens. Now Russell has two things in common with Anton Chigurh, the other thing being a haircut that makes you appreciate your own barber. Anyway, long story short, he comes out, leaves his wife, lives the glamorous life, and cons companies out of their money to pay for it all. He’s found out, thrown in jail, and there he meets the love of his life.

Ewan McGregor is adorable, and might I say, very huggable as the titular character, Phillip. Always one to see the good in a person, Russell’s soft-spoken lover has been taken advantage of in the past. These lines are blurred in his relationship with one of the world’s most infamous con men. When it looks like Phillip will be charged as an accessory for a crime he was completely unaware of, the scales lean towards ‘yes’. When Russell lays down a speech declaring his love for Phillip and the purity of his intentions, the scale heads back towards ‘maybe.’

The believability of this relationship is one of the film’s strongest elements as there’s no doubt about how these men feel about one another. Their motivations are clear and understandable, we get why they do what they do and the film’s flaws are most definitely not in the actors’ performances.

The first thirty minutes of “Morris” are really funny. The last seventy minutes are not. There are amusing parts here and there but the film loses its footing after attempting to switch gears into a dramatic tone. Once it makes the change, it becomes hard to pinpoint exactly what the filmmakers are trying to do. A majority of the latter half follows Russell as he repeatedly breaks out of prison. It’s at this point that the story moves away from his relationship with Phillip and focuses on a series of gags that, if they didn’t happen in real life, would be seen as more distractive than necessary, especially with the amount of time they take up. By the end, the film feels uneven and unsure of itself.

That being said, it’s important to recognize the social importance of a film like this. In an election year that saw California vote against gay marriage rights (thanks a lot, Mormons), it became clear that while America is finally ready for a black president, they aren’t ready to support non-hetero love. The success of “Brokeback Mountain” showed that maybe people are heading in the right direction. My mom doesn’t watch R-rated movies and even she liked the gay cowboy movie…not quite enough to agree with me on Prop. 8 (thanks a lot, Mormons) but what can you do? “I Love You Phillip Morris” is an approachable comedy, not some artsy-fartsy piece of…well, art. Jim Carrey’s in this movie! Obi-Wan from the “Star Wars” prequels is in this movie!

Something tells me that if “Morris” can avoid the dreaded NC-17 rating, a lot of people who normally wouldn’t watch a “gay movie” are going to see this story about two men in love—not in lust—but in real, heart-fluttering, ‘til the ends of the Earth love. That’s something, isn’t it? I just wish the movie was a little better, and so will most of the people who watch it.

Film Threat:
http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?sec ... s&Id=11516
Join Jim Carrey Online on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby lammy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:54 pm

grinchy steve wrote:Sure it will. I'm a bit suprised it didn't yet, but there's no doubt with the positive vibe around this, someone will take the movie under his wings.

It's a shame no one has already. But yes as fluffy said have faith...it'll be in the US and it'll do just great. :D
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby TNPihl » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:48 pm

TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby 123Dan123 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:53 pm

The thing I'm seeing with the early reviews is, even the not-so-great reviews are not all that bad, and found something about the movie that they liked. And the good ones praise the film and the performances a lot. It's almost safe to say that Phillip Morris looks like it has a safe future with the critics.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby cotton » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:19 am

Yea I think this movie is going to be very good
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby chips and dip » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:26 am

cotton wrote:So in other words Chips if we don't get it nobody will.

Weird, huh?
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby cotton » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:35 am

weird but good. We don't have to worry about being left out. :wink:
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby fluffy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Who distributes the art house movies then?..........and European films get released without a US distributer......Luc Besson is a HUGE name. I'm not sure that movies have to get a US distributer b4 they can be released....they do have to be shown in LA for Oscar consideration though..........

fluffy :D
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby TNPihl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:51 pm

ComingSoon.net's The 25th Sundance Film Festival Wrap-Up.

The Best of the Fest:

1. 500 Days of Summer
2. We Live in Public
3. Paper Heart
4. I Love You Phillip Morris
- It's not often you'd have a movie starring Jim Carrey playing at the Sundance Film Festival, let alone being one of the best movies there, but there's something about the way Bad Santa writers Glenn Ficarra and John Requa were able to turn the true crime story of conman Steven Russell into a comedy vehicle for Carrey that makes it work far better than his recent dog Yes Man. While most of Carrey's strongest films have been dramas like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Man on the Moon, Ficarra and Renqua have found a way to bring an edgier approach to Carrey's usual comic delivery to make this one of his stronger comedies. Despite being a very funny situational comedy, it's also a surprisingly touching romance involving Russell's gay relationship with his fellow inmate Phillip Morris, played by Ewan McGregor. This was easily one of the most commercially viable films of the festival, so it's somewhat surprising it hasn't yet picked up for U.S. distribution.

5. Brief Interviews with Hideous Men
6. When You're Strange
7. Mary and Max
8. Black Dynamite
9. The Girlfriend Experience
10. Cold Souls
TNPihl
JCO Staff

PreviousNext

Return to (2010) I Love You Phillip Morris