Jim Carrey Online

"Ace Ventura Jr." - Status: On DVD in March

Discuss other upcoming Jim Carrey movies (not confirmed/rumours).

Postby Twigggy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:58 am

Opps I meant "abomination." Sorry about that. 8)
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Well, Twigggy in response, no not sarcastic...

Postby Canadian Jayne » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:37 pm

If people are curious enough)42,000 to read a site about Ace VJr.
then there is a good chance they want to know more, that is why I checked in on this subject.
Why it may be a success:
1) Geared to kids (I would think), kids movies generally make money.
2) Many children today are over weight, they are almost a majority.
Make movies for the mass, children can relate, but also movies can teach and do, for better or worse.
3) The content and message of the movie is what will make it a success or failure.

4) The child does not have to look like (Jim) Ace, alot of kids can look like the other parent or even a grandparent or Uncle, anyone else agree?

You judge to quickly Twigggy, you must be fairly young or an old fart set in his/her ways.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Re: Well, Twigggy in response, no not sarcastic...

Postby Twigggy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:13 am

[quote="Canadian Jayne"]If people are curious enough)42,000 to read a site about Ace VJr.

What?

"1) Geared to kids (I would think), kids movies generally make money"

Just like how "Son of the Mask" was geared towards kids? Did you forget that that movie was a monumental failure both with the critics and at the box office? I hate to break it to you, but children also have access to the internet as well and they're trashing this movie also. Go to "Ace Ventura Jr's" IMDB page and you'll see there's virtually no positive comments there about the movie.

"2) Many children today are over weight, they are almost a majority."

"Over weight" or overweight? And you had the nerve to call me fairly young or senile.

"3) The content and message of the movie is what will make it a success or failure."

And one of its writers and its director was responsible for such crap as "Beethoven's 3rd," "Beethoven's 4th," "The Sandlot 2," (the other writer, Jeff Sank, hasn't been credited for for writing anything), all three movies that were extremely unpopular with everybody (even the kids!). Check out their IMDB pages. Their user-ratings are almost indentical with "Dumb and Dumberer" and "Son of the Mask." Meaning virtually everybody, kids and adults alike hated them! Look at "Beethoven's 4th" and/or "The Sandlot 2's" user ratings on IMDB, and then click on the "Demographic Breakdowns" and you'll see that most kids (and adults) thought very lowly of these movies. Why you think the person who wrote/directed this crap will somehow magically do a good job with "Ace Ventura Jr." is beyond me.

4) The child does not have to look like (Jim) Ace, alot of kids can look like the other parent or even a grandparent or Uncle, anyone else agree?

No. I disagree with you one hundred percent (again). This isn't supposed to be a realistic drama or anythig where characters don't have to look anything at all like their fathers/mothers. It's a "sequel" to two slapstick, cartoonish movies and as such you'd expect Ace Ventura's child to resemble him at least vaguely. I mean, look at the photo that's been posted of "Ace Jr." above. The way he dresses and his hair is precisely like Jim Carrey's Ace Ventura! If they wanted to give him some of his mother's/grandparents traits, like he isn't an Ace Ventura clone as you're saying, why does he have to dress/comb his hair exactly like his father?

"You judge to quickly Twigggy, you must be fairly young or an old fart set in his/her ways."

How am I "judging too quickly" - by pointing out that this movie has a lousy writer and director and that all the Carreyless sequels that have been released before this did horribly at the box office as well as with the people? I've backed up all my reasons that this this movie will most- definitely suck pretty well. I've provided statistics about the preceding Carreyless sequels with box office figures as well as with what the people and the critics thought about them. "Son of the Mask" as well as "Dumb and Dumberer" were full-blown flops. "Evan Almighty" didn't do as bad but the critics almost unanimously agreed on its genuine awfulness. There has never been a single Carreyless sequel that has been considered a success so it shouldn't come much as a surprise to you that "Ace Ventura Jr. - a movie written and directed by a terrible director/writer who's well known for doing crappy children's movies - will fail on all levels. I had no beef with you saying you think it'll be a success I just thought that, at first, you were joking because you're the only person I know of that actually thinks this movie will be successful on any level.
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Postby TNPihl » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:41 am

"Ace Ventura Jr." is one of the most stupid movie project I have seen lately. I wonder why Hollywood are making it, when all other "sequels" without Jim have been major flops. But "Ace Ventura Jr." should never have been made!

"Evan Almighty" looks good. Good it has the same director and same crew. I will consider it as the only sequel to a Jim movie. The rest looks terrible.

I have no interest in them. But funny to look at how they did in the theaters. :D
Join Jim Carrey Online on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby Twigggy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:49 pm

[quote="TNPihl"]"Ace Ventura Jr." is one of the most stupid movie project I have seen lately. "

Same here.

"I wonder why Hollywood are making it, when all other "sequels" without Jim have been major flops."

I wonder this too. I think it might have something to do with Hollywood's lack of good, original writers. Instead of finding a competent writer and a good director to come up with their own stories, they'd rather just totally recycle and reinvent something that's already been done before.
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Postby TNPihl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 pm

Here are the last examples how the "sequels" did in the theaters:

Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd (2003)
Wide release: 2,609 theaters
Budget: $19 million
Box office: $26 million

Son of the Mask (2005)
Wide Release: 2,966 theaters
Budget: $84 million
Box office: $17 million

Note: In theaters for 2 weeks - 3 months later on DVD!

Extra note: Nominated in 8 categories at 2005 Golden Raspberry Awards. Won the category 'Worst Remake or Sequel'.

Evan Almighty (2007)
Wide Release: 3,636 theaters
Budget: $175 million
Box office: $100 million

Ace Ventura Jr. (2008)
Straight-to-DVD?
Join Jim Carrey Online on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby Twigggy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:12 am

"Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd (2003)
Wide release: 2,609 theaters
Budget: $19 million
Box office: $26 million"

So they put 19 million in it and only gained 7 million. That's pretty pathetic. And we gotta remember that with the money they used to pay the actors/actresses and for advertising, this godawful movie actually cost THEM money. That's awesome. You know what's funny? I read an article in an interview with Jim online around the time "Dumb and Dumberer" was released and it seemed to be authentic (I think I might have even posted it here.) Anyhow, in the interview, Jim said he was asked to reprise his role as Lloyd Christmas at the time he was still working on "Bruce Almighty," he said, (if the interview's to be trusted) that he said he was up for a "Dumb and Dumber" sequel, but then told the studio he had to finish "Bruce Almighty" and maybe even some other project first. The studio was against it, and got somebody else. If this is true, that has got to be one of the stupidest decisions Hollywood's ever made. I mean, can you imagine how much money "Dumb and Dumber" 2 would have made with Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels? They would have made a handsome profit and we would have actually had a hilarious sequel to a hilarious movie.

"Son of the Mask (2005)
Wide Release: 2,966 theaters
Budget: $84 million
Box office: $17 million

Note: In theaters for 2 weeks - 3 months later on DVD!

Extra note: Nominated in 8 categories at 2005 Golden Raspberry Awards. Won the category 'Worst Remake or Sequel'."

Man, it did even worse than "Dumb and Dumberer"! Hilarious. The good thing is, we'll probably never see another "MASK" sequel for a long, long time (if ever during our lifetimes) on account of how horribly this terrible, godawful movie did at the box office. I wonder what Jamie Kennedy's salary was?

Evan Almighty (2007)
Wide Release: 3,636 theaters
Budget: $175 million
Box office: $100 million

Another full-blown flop. This is great.

Ace Ventura Jr. (2008)
Straight-to-DVD?[/quote]

I actually hope this movie goes to the theaters so these greedy, unoriginal people can lose a lot of money . That'd be great. I'm also looking forward to seeing the critics pan it on rottentomatoes.com. I don't know why it's taking so long for them to release it - maybe it has something to do with them pondering over whether to make it a direct-to-DVD or just release it in theaters. Hopefully the latter.
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Postby sprousefan23 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:14 pm

haha they don't know what they're in for, but I might check it out anyway, cuz I'd kinda like to see it.
"No time outs. Only DEATH!"
"I don't like to brag and I won't cuz I don't have to!" Image
sprousefan23
Dumb and Dumber To

Twigggy, you definitely have a knot in your shorts...

Postby Canadian Jayne » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:37 pm

My opinion really doesn't matter, whether I will see Ace Ventura Jr. is of no consequence, I will decide if I want to see the show when it comes out.
Often I see shows much later than when they are out, usually due to finances, if I can afford it, it really isn't a matter of whether I like it or not.
Even Jim movies I don't see unless I can afford it, that's OK with me.
For some it is a necessity, each to their own.
Watching movies or TV is not a necessity, it is a luxury, which oft times,is not consistent with my budget or time. The only TV necessity in my opinion is the 1) weather 2) the news as it pertains to my locality 3) as it pertains to other localities.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Yonie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:20 pm

Is there a trailer available ?
Yonie
Peggy Sue Got Married

Postby Glenn-Mask » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:10 pm

Yonie wrote:Is there a trailer available ?

Nope, not yet.
And i have no idea why, i mean the film is coming out in September for christ sake...why has nothing but a tiny teaser poster been released?

It must be going direct-to-dvd if nothing has been shown of this film.
Glenn-Mask
Peggy Sue Got Married

Disheartened by the use...

Postby Canadian Jayne » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:08 am

of the Saviors name in such a way, I know each to their own,
[-o< please try and respect those of us who do try and
reverence His name.
I realize you have right to choose but I had to say how I feel.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:21 am

am i the only one who liked Dumb and Dumberer?????? :shock:

fluffy :D
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Glenn-Mask » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:25 am

fluffy wrote:am i the only one who liked Dumb and Dumberer?????? :shock:

fluffy :D

I liked it too, although it wasnt great by any means.
It could of been better obviously but it was fun.
Glenn-Mask
Peggy Sue Got Married

Postby Yonie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:55 pm

It was a great stupid funny movie :lol:
Yonie
Peggy Sue Got Married

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Movies