Jim Carrey Online

Movie looks promising

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Movie looks promising

Postby 123Dan123 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:07 am

Not only do we have Jim, Zooey, and a Director that has some pretty good experience. But one of the most overlooked positions from most movie-goers is the Editor (the person that puts the film together and makes sense of it all). And Yes Man is attached with a superb Editor.

Craig Alpert is quite new to the movie industry and has edited such movies as Knocked Up and Borat. Well he's doing Yes Man too and a good Editor can turn an average directed movie into much more.

Let's hope he does another great job, and if all cylinders are firing this could be the best comedy in years.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby omnipresence » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 pm

I agree, it has all the right ingredients. I hope the screenplay is up to scratch so the actors have something great to work with. I'm really looking forward to this film :D
"You Cant Stop Me No Matter Who You Are"
omnipresence
Burt Wonderstone

Postby Filomena » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:26 pm

Good to hear. However, if you're making a career as an Editor in Hollywood, you better be good. I don't know how many people have walked out of a theatre and said, "Holy Crap. This movie really sucked. They must have had a lousy Editor."

I still say the most important ingredients are the writing, premise, depth of characters and of course, the actors.

The momentum is certainly building, isn't it? :wink:
The truth shall set you free.
Filomena
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby fluffy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:38 pm

as long as the integrity of the book has transferred ok i'll be delighted..... :D ........i love that book!

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby 123Dan123 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Filomena wrote:Good to hear. However, if you're making a career as an Editor in Hollywood, you better be good. I don't know how many people have walked out of a theatre and said, "Holy Crap. This movie really sucked. They must have had a lousy Editor."

I still say the most important ingredients are the writing, premise, depth of characters and of course, the actors.

The momentum is certainly building, isn't it? :wink:

Those are important ingredients of course, and I'd rank the director a very important ingredient too.

But you made my point by saying: I don't know how many people have walked out of a theater and said, "Holy Crap. This movie really sucked. They must have had a lousy Editor." The Editor isn't recognized as a key person for the production of a movie from most movie-goers, and that's why people don't point fingers at them. People don't realize how important they are.

Stanley Kubrick once said that the editing process is one of the most important phases for the production of a movie. They are responsible for pulling all the elements of the story, dialogue, music, sound effects, visual effects, rhythm and pace of the film. It's not easy to do and takes a ton of talent. Not every editor is good, in fact there are less good ones than bad ones.

:)
Last edited by 123Dan123 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby Filomena » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:38 am

Good point. I guess Editors really are important, after all. I guess I was just thinking of the acting. A good editing job can't mask a crappy acting job.

Either you can act, or you can't. Good editor or not, the integrity of the characters rely on that.

Having said that, I wonder why editors don't get the credit they reserve?
The truth shall set you free.
Filomena
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby 123Dan123 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:34 am

Filomena wrote:Good point. I guess Editors really are important, after all. I guess I was just thinking of the acting. A good editing job can't mask a crappy acting job.

Either you can act, or you can't. Good editor or not, the integrity of the characters rely on that.

Having said that, I wonder why editors don't get the credit they reserve?

Oh ok, I see what you mean.

I really have no idea why the Editors aren't recognized. I wouldn't say they're the most important though, but they are pretty important.

I would say the director since they usually do work alongside with the editor. But you can't have a good movie with good directing and bad acting, or vice versa. Everything has to be going well.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Return to (2008) Yes Man