Jim Carrey Online

Yes Man screenplay review

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Yes Man screenplay review

Postby fluffy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:03 pm

The people over at a blog called 'Crack of the Whip'
have reviewed the working script of the movie and it's shockingly unkind.
Keep your minds open folks though, the proof will be in the pudding!

Exclusive: Yes Man Screenplay Review.

THE YES MAN by Nicholas Stoller Based On the Book "The Yes Man" by Danny Wallace - First Draft - February 2, 2007

As unfortunate as this might sound, Yes Man is not a return to grace for Jim Carrey. Many of the people I've spoken with have said that although Yes Man has an appealing plot and a wildly funny lead star, it comes off as the typical Jim Carrey vehicle. And it is.

Yes Man is about Carl, a bank teller who has led life by boredom. The usual wake up, eat, work and repeat. Although openly expressing that he loves the life he's currently living, Carl knows that he doesn't. He needs to rediscover what made him the fun loving, get-drunk-with-and-hit-on-women Carl. While one day on a smoke break with his fellow employee's, Carl is handed a sheet of paper advertising the teachings of "Yes." At first, Carl is reluctant to go, but after wanting to rediscover his old self, Carl knows what he must do.

Wacky and hilarious comedy ensue, right? No.

It's the usual vehicle for Carrey. In fact, I don't think there's one character in the entire one-hundred and thirty page screenplay that has a joke other than Carrey's character. It's all Jim as Carl, doing his usual funny faces and having his character endure the typical montages of grueling experiences.

Of course a female interest is in order, right? Renee, a do-it-all-and-live-life kind of gal, is at first an annoyance to Carl. Everyday on his way to work he's stopped, interrogated, and then asked if he would like a flier to one of her performances. Over the course of the screenplay, after accepting that he must say yes to everything, Carl hooks up with Renee and I'm sure you can guess what happens. After making her upset, having the usual with drawl of not being with her, Carl, in the end, has the fortunate experience of discovering that the teachings of "Yes" are a hoax. After realizing that he has been fooled, Carl hooks back up with Renee. A Shyamalan twist for you.

There has to be something funny with the script, surely? I mean, after all, Carrey wouldn't sign on without knowing that there's room to improvise! Unfortunately, there's hardly anything funny with the screenplay. It's more of a dark humor kind of script that expects to draw an audience with Carrey in the lead. Deliberately expecting Carrey to make up for the terrible writing.

Most will think that this is a return for the comedian that could consistently make us laugh and smile - make us believe that he is the true comedian of his era - but it isn't. His career has become so over blown with his comedic style that any film he signs on to is now a vehicle geared for him. It's unfortunate sure, but it's even more unfortunate that Carrey has sunk to this level of material.

http://crackofthewhip.blogspot.com/

Remember its someones lousy blog........but the snippets of info re the film are interesting stuff..... :wink:

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby CarreyGirl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:50 pm

But this movie is funny or not??I not understand this article (because I not speak an english eccellent!!)
This article speaks about a film not adapted Jim,and I knew that they changed the weft regarding the book (we say that they have only taken cue from it).
I'm Dumb and I'm proud! :_D
CarreyGirl
Horton Hears a Who!

Postby fluffy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:06 pm

it's funny.........the book is hilarious........they've changed the names and locations etc but kept the essence of the story......... :wink:

fluffy :D
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby 123Dan123 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:17 pm

This person could easily be a Carrey-hater. Unless this was from www.latinoreview.com (which it isn't) I'm not going to trust it at all.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby woweeee » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:54 am

ugh....horrible people.
When once asked what I would do if I met Jim I said that I would give him so many hugs because he is so damn HOT and then I would tell him to get married. Response, "he is hot, but...nevermind."
woweeee
Batman Forever

Return to (2008) Yes Man