Jim Carrey Online

Stop the sequels!

Discuss other upcoming Jim Carrey movies (not confirmed/rumours).

Postby Happygal » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:39 pm

I don't see why Jim can't play Ace one last time. I mean, if Bruce Willis can play in Die Hard after 20 years, why can't Jim do the same after about 10 years? :?
One person's craziness, is another person's reality. ~ Tim Burton
Happygal
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Twigggy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:53 am

Bruce Willis is the shiznit. He did a FANTASTIC job with all four Die Hards. He's my all-time favorite actor. I love how he reprised his role as John McClane, even if he was getting a bit older. I think that's actually cool how these older actors return and show the newer ones how it's done. Sly came back and almost did the impossible by making "Rocky Balboa" almost as good as the original. Both "Live Free or Die Hard" and "Rocky Balboa" were widely loved by movie critics and fans alike. That just proves that some sequels can be done damn good if they're done right.

Happygal wrote:I don't see why Jim can't play Ace one last time. I mean, if Bruce Willis can play in Die Hard after 20 years, why can't Jim do the same after about 10 years? :?

I don't know. Jim Carrey said he hates doing sequels because he feels like he's repeating himself over and over again. I think he also thinks sequels never can beat the originals. I disagree...to an extent, at least. Some sequels are just as fresh as the originals if done right. Willis waited a long time for them to write a good Die Hard 4 script to revive John McClane and the movie was a success on all fronts. I still love Jim Carrey but I agree with you that there should be one last Ace Ventura movie with him. It is very original for him to refuse participation in all sequels, but I think there's some downsides to it, too. I went into my video store a while ago, and when I was browsing the comedy section, I saw that disgrace of a sequel/movie "Dumb and Dumberer" sitting right beside the original "Dumb and Dumber" on the shelf. Also, down the row, there was that trainwreck "Son of the Mask" right beside "The Mask." People are already starting to associate the four movies with each other. I don't think that Carrey should be in every sequel to every movie he's in, but a few sequels would be nice. When Jim Carrey retires--in another 15-30 years--it'll look weird to see so many sequels to his movies sitting right next to his without him in them.
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Postby 123Dan123 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:32 pm

I'm glad he doesn't do sequels. There are a lot of actors right now who are doing sequels or just going where the money is and their career is going way down hill. At least imo.

Not much good can come from a sequel usually besides rake in money.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby sprousefan23 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:16 am

^ yeah. Like Pirates of the Carribean movies. The first one was good, but the second and thrid ones made me feel like they were dragging.
"No time outs. Only DEATH!"
"I don't like to brag and I won't cuz I don't have to!" Image
sprousefan23
Dumb and Dumber To

I think if you have sequels its better when you can see....

Postby Canadian Jayne » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:45 pm

them one after the other, wait until all three are out, then watch, then it's easier to pick up what is happening.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Twigggy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:09 am

sprousefan23 wrote:^ yeah. Like Pirates of the Carribean movies. The first one was good, but the second and thrid ones made me feel like they were dragging.

--I must be one of those few people on Earth that actually disliked all three "Pirates" movies. Actually, the first two were alright (I haven't seen the third one) but way too overrated. Just mildly entertaining popcorn flicks in my opinion. Johnny Depp does best, in my opinion, when he's in more adult-aimed movies. "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and "Donnie Brasco" are both great movies. He actually plays REAL people in them, as opposed to some silly, rum-drinking pirate. Some sequels don't work, but some do. You can't just label every sequel as a "rehash" or "garbage," like a lot of people seem to do. Some sequels are actually on par with the originals. "The Godfather part 2" is a fantastic example...or, look at "Terminator 2: Judgement Day." This movie actually got a higher movie rating by fans on IMDB, & critics, for the most part, loved it. There's other superb sequels, too: "Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade," all three Die Hards, and, who can forget, "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls." I wouldn't go as far as saying Ace 2 was "Superb," but it was as funny as the original.

Carrey does have a point for not wanting to do ALL sequels though. Some sequels just suck, period. Look at "Blues Brother's 2000" and "Speed 2." I couldn't be paid to sit through that swill again.
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Previous

Return to Upcoming Movies