Jim Carrey Online

Evan Almighty (posters)

Discuss other upcoming Jim Carrey movies (not confirmed/rumours).

Postby sprousefan23 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:56 am

Twigggy wrote: But, yeah. I'm rambling. I still respect Jim Carrey so no need for anybody to attack me. It's just odd--to say the very least--seeing all his movies being turned into inferior sequels/prequels without him...crap that nobody even wants to see.

We won't attack you, that's not what we do here.

Though I went to see it cuz a few gillion of my friends wanted to see it and I kinda really wanted to check it out and I did and I loved it! Esp, when I came out of Eragon hating that, cuz it didn't match the book much at all!
But I think Steve's awesome too, so of coarse that was another good reason for me to go and love it.

But everyone has their own opinions, right?
and I heard somewhere, and this is kinda random but if you find anyone hatin on ya just remember it:
"Haters make me famous, so go ahead, hate on me."

:lol: gotta love it! :D
"No time outs. Only DEATH!"
"I don't like to brag and I won't cuz I don't have to!" Image
sprousefan23
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Lena » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:46 am

hmpf when it gets in theatres here in Belgium, I'll watch it and then see for myself if I like it or not. :)
I don't think it'll be that bad, it's not like they are replacing Jim with a copycat, like they did in dumb&dumberer.
I think the poster looks great. :)
Lena
A Christmas Carol

Postby grinchy steve » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:10 pm

That's the thing indeed. Nobody is replacing Jim Carrey. The reason all the other sequels sucked big time, is because of the fact someone had to play a character that was previously played by Jim. And nobody can do them better or come even close to our man himself.

This time we get a whole new story that has nothing to do with Bruce and a total different lead. Steve Carell doesn't have to be Bruce Nolan. So it's unfair to say a "sequel" sucks because Carrey isn't in it. Evan Almighty is a Carell-movie with Carell doing his thing. In fact, it's a movie that doesn't need Jim at all. If we where talking about Liar Liar 2 wihout Carrey, about someone that can't lie again, that would be silly indeed. But that just isn't the case here. Even better, at least they thought of something all new.

You see, Twiggy, if you can't laugh with Steve Carell, that's your good right. And I understand. But that doesn't mean he isn't a strong lead. A few of my friend don't like Jim Carrey and get on their nerves when he is doing his maniac-thing. So they actually dislike him as a main-character in a comedy. But that doesn't mean Carrey ain't a strong leading man either.

Also it is not a shame Oedekerk (not a good writer anyway) or Shadyac are working on this. Not at all. It's not like they need Jim Carrey to do what they are good in.

And to me, it does look good. Carell can do his thing, Morgan Freeman is back and Shadyac knows what he does. Sure the script won't be that strong - cheesy stuff and all - but I'm just hoping for a few laughs coming from Carell in a movie that's nice to watch. I'll see the Avant-Premiere this wednesday on the American Movie Day in Antwerp. Looking forward. :)

Ow, and nobody attacks you, Twiggy. ;) Indeed, that's not what we do here. Ow, about those sequels, Carrey can't help. He has nothing to say about that, not a thing.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby grinchy steve » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:15 pm

I saw the movie Yesterday and it's exactly what i thought it would be.

Steve Carell proves that he's a good comedic leading-man, but the movie is missing the real jokes. Because the script is very poor written, cheesy and predictable. Oedekerk realy is a bad writer and i'm actually afraid 'Ripley's Believe it or Not' had all the chance to be a wonderfull timeless film, but isn't going to be good because of the writings. So Evan Almighty doesn't deliver as a hilarious comedy, but it does work as a cute family film.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Twigggy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:38 am

grinchy steve wrote:That's the thing indeed. Nobody is replacing Jim Carrey. The reason all the other sequels sucked big time, is because of the fact someone had to play a character that was previously played by Jim.

--But in "Son of the Mask" Jamie Kennedy wasn't playing Stanley Ipkiss, he was playing an entirely new character: Tim Avery. Some aspiring cartoonist hack that wasn't funny in the least. He was painful to watch...even if he wasn't taking over Carrey's role in the original movie.

"So Evan Almighty doesn't deliver as a hilarious comedy, but it does work as a cute family film."

Maybe so. That's kinda what I expected--"a cute family film." Son of the Mask also had a different leading man playing a different leading character and I hated it...just like here. Also, you can tell they tried to make this one even more family friendly, like "Son of the Mask." Bruce Almighty, in my opinion, wasn't Carrey's best comedy...but it was tolerable. One reason that it was watchable is, of course, Jim Carrey. The man's a comedic genius. The other, although it was weaker than "Liar Liar" and "Ace Ventura" in my humble opinion, it had some classic Carrey crude humor...blowing a lady's skirt up, pleasuring his GF...etc. "Evan Almighty" seems to me, like a watered-down kiddy substitute sequel with a weaker actor and plot. I'm not saying Bruce Almighty is the greatest Carrey movie ever: I don't think it's great, but find it entertaining.... The ending bored me to tears...but all in all, I had a good time watching it.

If Tom Shadyac can't get Carrey, he'll settle for someone else. That's what he's doing with Ace 3 (according to IMDB). But it won't work. It'll be another failure, like Evan Almighty, but probably a lot lot worse...and with a lot of animals. A PG-carreyless Ace. Geez.

All right, bud. I will say that Morgan Freeman isn't a bad choice for God. He seems forgiving, mild-tempered, and even has a sense of humor. That I do like. But, for me, it's still not worth the price of admission, of even watching the movie anytime soon. I'll watch it on TV in about three years, and if I think it's good, I promise I'll come back here and eat crow.... In the meantime, when Ace 3 comes out, please nobody pay for it. You're just giving those bastard studios more ideas to screw up movies we love.
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

I must admit.....

Postby Canadian Jayne » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:02 am

BB and I were skeptical going in,
but we both really liked it.
It is absolutely worth taking kids, grandmas,grandpas and anyone to
see it. It was nothing from what I expected and
that's what I liked about it.
Also in the end there was a lesson, the movie had a purpose!
It is well worth going to see this movie.

I did not compare Jim's Bruce Almighty to it at all.
I did feel that the wife played somewhat of a placid part in this...
If I was Noah's wife... I would have given him so much more
opposition. But I guess perhaps that conflict would have subtracted
from the point of the movie.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:29 am

hooray............i'm gonna see it for sure...... :D

fluffy :wink:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Re: I must admit.....

Postby Twigggy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:50 am

That's the thing indeed. Nobody is replacing Jim Carrey. The reason all the other sequels sucked big time, is because of the fact someone had to play a character that was previously played by Jim. And nobody can do them better or come even close to our man himself.

So, Steve, why haven't you replied? I'm curious, really, nothing more. If what you're saying is indeed true: then why in the Lord's name did "Son of the Mask" suck so much tail? Mr. Kennedy wasn't playing a "character that was previously played by Jim." Could it possibly be that I made a reasonably valid point, and you were wrong in your assessment? And could it also be that you were afraid to concede, and say the old twigster was right? Well, Steve, if so, I won't hold it against you. Because I always love being right. It isn't the first time I've been Right here, and when somebody backs down, I'm very content. :P
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Postby sprousefan23 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:53 am

In Son of the Mask the antics were comeing from things that couldn't talk and they gave hair to the mask which just doesn't look right. those were the things that I didn't like about it. and then there's the part about the gods, it the first one nobody was there to want their mask back and that was pretty good, all they did was talk about gods and not actually put them in the movie.
"No time outs. Only DEATH!"
"I don't like to brag and I won't cuz I don't have to!" Image
sprousefan23
Dumb and Dumber To

Re: I must admit.....

Postby Twigggy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:37 am

Twigggy wrote:That's the thing indeed. Nobody is replacing Jim Carrey. The reason all the other sequels sucked big time, is because of the fact someone had to play a character that was previously played by Jim. And nobody can do them better or come even close to our man himself.

So, Steve, why haven't you replied? I'm curious, really, nothing more. If what you're saying is indeed true: then why in the Lord's name did "Son of the Mask" suck so much tail? Mr. Kennedy wasn't playing a "character that was previously played by Jim." Could it possibly be that I made a reasonably valid point, and you were wrong in your assessment? And could it also be that you were afraid to concede, and say the old twigster was right? Well, Steve, if so, I won't hold it against you. Because I always love being right. It isn't the first time I've been Right or Wrong here.
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Postby fluffy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:52 am

lol..........all points are valid Twiggy........... :wink:
fluffy :lol:
Last edited by fluffy on Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby cotton » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:34 pm

He is talking to Grinchy Steve, Fluffs.lol

Be nice Twigggy. If there is boxing match I will delete it. :wink:
www.youtube.com/user/jimcarreyonline
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby Twigggy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:48 am

[quote="cotton"]He is talking to Grinchy Steve, Fluffs.lol

Be nice Twigggy. If there is boxing match I will delete it. :wink:[

Ah, darling. I'm always nice. You know that. A few nights ago, I was in an extra-jovial mood and therefore wanted to discuss the masterwork "Even Almighty" with my fellow Carrey-brethern, Grinchy Steve. Since we're both movie critics, I just wanted to say why I thought "Evan Almighty" was such a steamy pile of human dung, but he had different reasons to like the movie, provided above. And I thought I found a contradiction in one of his reasons:

"Nobody is replacing Jim Carrey. The reason all the other sequels sucked big time, is because of the fact someone had to play a character that was previously played by Jim."

The point I made--which was a goshdarned good one--was this: Which Jim Carrey sequels were Brother Grinchy Steve referring to? Nobody played Jim Carrey's character in "Son of the Mask," and it still sucked...much much worse than "Dumb and Dumberer," did; a movie in which somebody else was protraying a younger version of a Carrey character. I don't intend on having a boxing match, Cotton. I was just pointing out a glaring contradiction in ole Stevie-boy's post.
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Postby grinchy steve » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:38 am

My god, Twiggy, are you a bit ... obesessed? :riddler: (just kiddin') I forgot this topic.

About "The Son of the Mask", that's just a (bit) different example. Jim Carrey = The Mask = Jim Carrey. So when you have a movie about 'The Mask' again, someone is somehow playing 'The Mask'. The problem, even if it's a baby, is that it's still replacing the original Mask.

And the fact that it's a bit different (but not realy) in The Mask 2, doesn't weaken my point about 'Evan Almighty'. ;) Not at all, my dear.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby woweeee » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:58 pm

the movie was good...and i think that the critics have gone mad...i mean 23 was good too. Stardust was exelent...and the critics have rated it like really low. i honestly think they have gone mad.
When once asked what I would do if I met Jim I said that I would give him so many hugs because he is so damn HOT and then I would tell him to get married. Response, "he is hot, but...nevermind."
woweeee
Batman Forever

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Movies