Jim Carrey Online

Used Guys filming pushed back/shelved?

Discuss other upcoming Jim Carrey movies (not confirmed/rumours).

Used Guys filming pushed back/shelved?

Postby mrsjec17 » Tue May 16, 2006 7:25 am

I just found this on Yahoo Movie News:

Stiller, Carrey movie reunion is aborted
Tuesday May 16 1:12 AM ET

Preproduction has been halted on the big-budget, sci-fi comedy "Used Guys," starring Ben Stiller and Jim Carrey.

The 20th Century Fox project was to have begun shooting June 11. It would have reunited the two comic titans for the first time since Stiller directed Carrey in the infamous 1996 flop "The Cable Guy"

"Due to scheduling issues, production is being delayed on 'Used Guys' ... until sometime next year," the studio said. "The Jay Roach-directed film requires a long prep for its futuristic settings, and both actors have films scheduled for later in the year. All the parties remain committed to making the picture when time permits."

However, sources close to the project insist that the $112-budgeted film is dead, at least in its current incarnation with Stiller and Carrey heading the cast.

Set in a futuristic society run by women where men are cloned and sold like cars, the story revolves around two men who are returned and then go in search of the lost meaning of manhood. Emily Mortimer recently signed on to co-star.

It was Stiller's involvement in another Fox movie -- "Night at the Museum," which is filming in Vancouver and New York -- that prevented the actor from being available for the "Guys" start date next month. Stiller and Roach are producing "Used Guys."

Fox had slated "Guys" for a June 15, 2007, release date. In its place, the studio's "Fantastic Four" sequel starring Michael Chiklis, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans and Ioan Gruffudd will move into that spot. "Fantastic Four 2" had been set to bow July 4, 2007.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Darn! I was really looking forward to this. I hope they don't push the start date too far back. And I really hope that this project isn't dead like they're predicting.

Melanie
"I decided that I wanted to make movies that would uplift people." - Jim Carrey -
mrsjec17
The Truman Show

Postby Retard_Messiah » Tue May 16, 2006 12:11 pm

I don´t believe this. They can´t cancel that movie. Now this day is destroyd. I really looked forward to that movie.
Retard_Messiah
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue May 16, 2006 12:52 pm

awe...............i hope it doesn't mess up folks lives .........folk will have scheduled for it and the crew will have to get other work............ :?

fluffy
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Retard_Messiah » Tue May 16, 2006 1:57 pm

It messed up my life. I dont want to live anymore. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Retard_Messiah
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby grinchy steve » Tue May 16, 2006 3:20 pm

Saw the same news... (Variety, Joblo)

The ambitious Ben Stiller/Jim Carrey sci-fi comedy USED GUYS, which was to begin filming next month, has been unexpectedly halted by Fox. The studio made the decision on Friday, coincidentally just two days after they announced Emily Mortimer had joined the cast. The on-the-record reason given by Fox was that the effects needed for the futuristic setting of the film wouldn't be ready by the June start date. The off-the-record rumblings have Fox concerned about a ballooning budget that was creeping past $110 million despite Stiller, Carrey and director Jay Roach repeatedly reducing their rates. Fox reportedly wanted to get the film going for no more than $90 million but couldn't make the numbers work and eventually decided to pull the plug. The news is unfortunate on a number of levels including the fact that it had taken director Jay Roach and Stiller over seven years to get the project greenlit at Fox. New Mexico was also looking forward to the production filming in their state and had even held a press conference with Roach to announce the news. Fox maintained in their press release that they hope to return to the project one day but don't consider it too likely. Stiller, Roach and Carrey will likely all move on to other projects.

Well ... mostly news like that ain't good for the project itself. I have the feeling this is the start of a looooooong rumor/facts fight, changing directors and cast and things like that. I don' tknow. It's a bummer!

It's all Stillers fault! :twisted: Call Steve Carell! :P

A bummer. :(
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby TNPihl » Tue May 16, 2006 3:42 pm

Terrible news :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :(
Join Jim Carrey Online on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
TNPihl
JCO Staff

Postby jimliker » Tue May 16, 2006 3:55 pm

Read more :

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comm ... yid=324451

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArtic ... ived=False

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 0&id=36089

http://hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/a ... 3173&imw=Y

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14564

In brief: Stiller and Carrey are used and refused

Staff and agencies
Tuesday May 16, 2006

Producers have pulled the plug on Used Guys, the comedy that was set to reunite Ben Stiller and Jim Carrey as two male clones living in a world run by women. Studio 20th Century Fox cited delays in preparations for the project's cancellation, but anonymous sources told Variety that spiralling costs - with the budget threatening to reach $110m (£58m) - were the reason. Stiller and Carrey last worked together on 1996's The Cable Guy.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0 ... e_continue
Last edited by jimliker on Tue May 16, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby CinnamonGirl » Tue May 16, 2006 4:19 pm

How dissappointing!!! I thought this sounded like it was going to be lots of fun. :(
CinnamonGirl
Simon Birch

Postby trishroberts » Tue May 16, 2006 5:16 pm

What a shame...sounds like this is as far back on the back burner as you can get, or its not gonna happen at all, so for our Jim fest in 2007 :cry:
trishroberts
Man on the Moon

Postby fluffy » Tue May 16, 2006 5:58 pm

*shakes head*..........sadly Tommy, i take no pleasure at all in saying 'i told you so'........but i just knew.......
Tommy will confirm that i told him months ago that this one would be lucky to get off the ground.........so near yet so far.... :(

fluffy
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Niobe » Tue May 16, 2006 6:49 pm

Hey ho, and life goes on.........
Everybody should believe in something.
I believe I'll have another coffee!
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue May 16, 2006 6:59 pm

yep.........and there will be 23 to look forward to............and with the extra time Jim has perhaps he will do some other projects...........then again perhaps it's time for a break........... :wink:

fluffy :wink:
Last edited by fluffy on Tue May 16, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby mrsjec17 » Tue May 16, 2006 7:35 pm

Well, it still could get on it's feet you never know. Don't give up hope yet. But even if it does get shelved I have a feeling that we will all get through this. Who knows he might end up doing something even more exciting.
"I decided that I wanted to make movies that would uplift people." - Jim Carrey -
mrsjec17
The Truman Show

Postby mav » Tue May 16, 2006 8:46 pm

Oh no! SEven years of waiting comes to a naught?!.....a good comedy getting shelved... that's dissapointing!
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby shelby » Tue May 16, 2006 9:53 pm

Oh No! i just heard about it, very sad news. i guess it just wasn't meant to be, in a way i am glad it isn't happening because i don't care much for ben stiller, but still i would had love to see Jim in these, he would had been great. but who knows there might still be a little hope, there is always hope. :cry:
shelby
shelby
High Strung

Next

Return to Upcoming Movies