Jim Carrey Online
You are here: HomeBoard index General Discussion Off Topic

Code Breakers

Here is where you discuss everything under the sun, just keep it clean.

Code Breakers

Postby fluffy » Tue May 17, 2005 9:58 pm

ok again nothing to do with Jim but some people might be interested. the successor to Bletchley park was in fact GCHQ near Gloucester, where our British spies are trained up. i stayed near there for a while and it was really erie with all the golf ball radar stations.
anyway to 'cut to the chase' some of you might be into 'brain teasers' and the GCHQ site has some serious code breaking riddles to try out alas, i can't lay claim to have tried them out problem solving ain't my thing but i wonder if anyone is brave enough to give them a go???

just something a bit different to discuss other than Jim's touche. :wink: :lol:
http://www.gchq.gov.uk/codebreaking/index.html
fluffy :P
fluffy
JCO Staff

code breakers

Postby wonderbunny » Tue May 17, 2005 10:43 pm

How cool is that website... I found a another website that challenging its the Mensa fun test. (IQ test) Mensa.org/work2.php I have been a member for years, I love this Q/A trivia stuff! The mind is a terrible thing to waste. I have always been fond of Charles Nash, he and I suffer from the same disorder; thank god science has progress past electric shock. I wonder what he would have become if he wasn't treated with type of care back then. Nobel Peace Prize was something, but he had many years in darkness. Makes you wonder. I'll paint the umbrella with my finger.
wonderbunny
Lemony Snicket

Postby quirky » Tue May 17, 2005 10:47 pm

I'll paint the umbrella with my finger.

Could you please tell me what this means?

eta: because I'm curious, no disrespect intended.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Re: Code Breakers

Postby lammy » Wed May 18, 2005 12:42 am

fluffy wrote:ok again nothing to do with Jim but some people might be interested. the successor to Bletchley park was in fact GCHQ near Gloucester, where our British spies are trained up. i stayed near there for a while and it was really erie with all the golf ball radar stations.
anyway to 'cut to the chase' some of you might be into 'brain teasers' and the GCHQ site has some serious code breaking riddles to try out alas, i can't lay claim to have tried them out problem solving ain't my thing but i wonder if anyone is brave enough to give them a go???

just something a bit different to discuss other than Jim's touche. :wink: :lol:
http://www.gchq.gov.uk/codebreaking/index.html
fluffy :P

:shock: :shock:

I have no clue how to even begin solving this thing!

:!:
LOL
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby quirky » Wed May 18, 2005 12:47 am

That's my problem, too lammy. I'm not great with math and puzzles.

And I have a hungry brain that never seems to be at peace.

:(

And I'm sure that I could be diagnosed with something serious that I really don't want to know I have because ignorance is bliss.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Wed May 18, 2005 1:18 am

Nah,ah...I don't know how to do that puzzle but it doesn't mean I'm ignorant?

I know that no matter how hard I try-I'd probably end up bursting a brain valve-LOL!!!
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby wonderbunny » Wed May 18, 2005 4:03 am

Paint the umbrella with my finger - its a reference to the movie a Beautiful Mind. I have no problem discussing this topic as I am a mental health advocate. I was refering the schizophrenics, I find them fascinating individuals as some of them are the most intelligent people on the planet, however they do view the world differenlty. (I like to use the terms spherically) Most people think linearly / logically, can't understand their behavior, and fear of the disorder tends the keep people away. I can't speak for all persons with this disorder, but they all are gifted is some artistic way. The tend to isolated themselves because they are 'different'. The umbrella refers to scene when Russell Crowe was showing his lady the stars in the sky... his gift was math. Some are artists, some are poets, and some end up homeless. I have worked with the homeless isssue and have a kindship with street people. They all have a story to tell. No one is disposable. And, they are all God's children. He does not make defects!
wonderbunny
Lemony Snicket

Postby quirky » Wed May 18, 2005 4:18 am

Oh. Now I see. I loved "A Beautiful Mind", too. But I didn't recall the scene. I felt so awful for John Nash. I got the impression that the screenplay was probably accurate and there was a real sense of frustration and pain (pain for his wife, too...but she was wonderful). Or is...not sure if she's still alive.

They really succeeded in making the viewer feel what it is like to not know what's real. Watching, you were so sucked in and then you had the realization that you were in his mind.

There was a mental health facility attached to the ER where I worked, so I got a little insight into how controllable or at least dealable some of the illnesses are. You could check someone in who was certain that ants were crawling all over her on Monday...and then smile at her in the drive-thru at McDonald's on Wednesday.

It doesn't seem fair, but there it is.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

ants on their skin

Postby wonderbunny » Wed May 18, 2005 5:05 am

I've spoken with many who have had similar experiences, I really don't see too much difference between a sickness in the brain or a sickness in the heart (coronary disease) cancer, or blood diseases. The body has a multitude areas in which it can be affected by illness. The brains sypnapsis just misfire. Some of the grey matter is affected. I for one, aquired my disorder in a camping trip and a tick bite. (Ensephilitis) It was a swelling of the brain when I was in my 20's. Every few years I get ill and have to be treated. Then I recover and life continues. Not too different than cancer really. I am just in remission. Does that make sense? The symptoms are just different. I try to have a sense of humor about it. Maybe that voice in the head is just God gossiping!
He wispers sweet nothings in my ear. How cool is that!
wonderbunny
Lemony Snicket

Postby quirky » Wed May 18, 2005 5:52 am

There isn't a difference between a mental illness and any other kind of illness, even if it's not brought on by encephalitis.

I don't think I've ever encountered anyone with it. That has to be scary.

He whispers sweet nothings in my ear. How cool is that!

I guess that's cool.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Scary? Let me elaborate....

Postby wonderbunny » Wed May 18, 2005 8:04 pm

The only scary part about my particular disorder was the guinea pig type treatment I rec'd from the multitude of doctors trying to 'cure' it. The medication was worse than the disorder, I tend to become sicker with medication. Lots of us have a medication intolerance, body rejects the normal treatment. I can't even take antidepressents without having suicidal ideation, for me, that's a scary little pill. As long as I keep medication out of my system I do really well. Tough topic, but there it is. Every few years, I need prescription of love and lots of hugs, and maybe a sedative to carry me through the tough times. Sometimes the human touch is all that's needed. Its what everyone needs when there not themselves, patience, love tolerance and forgiveness for having 'bad day' :shock: What a concept! Its kind of like the flu, now days for those who need medical attention for their illness they can get shot in the arm; that's a lot better then electric shock 20 years ago (which causes permant brain damage-but it still offered -- now that's scary)
wonderbunny
Lemony Snicket

Postby quirky » Wed May 18, 2005 8:08 pm

Oh my. That's terrible. I'm sorry for you.

But I'm glad you found something that works. Hang in there.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

code breakers

Postby wonderbunny » Wed May 18, 2005 8:30 pm

Thanks for the support, I went through a real pity party for a while ( I guess most people do when there given bad news or deal with illness) but now I think of it as a gift. Hypersensativity is not such a bad trait! O:)
wonderbunny
Lemony Snicket

Postby quirky » Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 pm

:!:

I think I'm better at puzzles than I thought I was...but help came from someplace.

I'm going to have some quiet time now.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Return to Off Topic