Jim Carrey Online
You are here: HomeBoard index General Discussion Off Topic

The Oscars

Here is where you discuss everything under the sun, just keep it clean.

Do you think politics should be in the Oscars?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:29 pm

Yes
No votes
Absoultely not
82%
A little bit can be allowed
18%

Total votes : 11

The Oscars

Postby Shadow Mancer » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:29 pm

I can't believe for the first time in Oscar history they're allow a host to devote an entire segment to political ranting! Chis Rock is going to skewer Bush on the Oscars in his opening act.

Now, I'm an Independent, so I don't care if the President is a Democrat or a Republican, but politics has no place being on stage at an event where you're supposed to celebrate a year in achievment in movies!

I KNOW Hollywod hates Bush! For friggin' Pete's sake, don't waste our time ranting on and on about it on stage! We don't pay you to spout your political beliefs! We pay you to ACT! Get a clue Hollywood! America doesn't care!

So if you agree with me on this, BOYCOTT this year's Oscar telecast. It isn't worth watching. All they're gonna do is rant and rave against Republicans and against Bush. They're not gonna celebrate movies. They're just gonna get on their soapbox and preach to all of Amerca.

SHADOW MANCER :twisted:
"Funny the things you remember, not so funny the things you forget..."
Shadow Mancer
Peggy Sue Got Married

Postby Filomena » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:31 pm

Hey Shadow Mancer

It's refreshing to hear someone actually do something about an issue they believe in. Like you, I don't think it's appropriate for famous people to get on stage and bash people for the sake of humour. Whether I agree with Bush or not, I think you should entertain people without offending them.

But my decision not to watch the Oscars this year isn't based on that. It just looks like it's going to be boring, and I'd rather spend that 4 hours playing with my kids.

I'm curious to see how Chris Rock is going to do that segment though. Is he going to use his humour to insult everybody? Is he genuinely going to be funny? Hmmmmm, I just might give in at the last second in and see what he does.

But then I'm hiding the remote!
Filomena
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby jimliker » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:52 pm

i dont like politics mixed with entertainment. These 2 should be kept apart. I hate politics anyway. It brings inequality mostly & wars!!!!! :evil:

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby THE 5th KIND » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:31 am

well, this is difficult to decide.-

i think it`s a good way of getting some people reached and informed, about
what`s happening in their country.-those, normaly not watching any kinda news.-it maby is a way for saying:
-look, there`s something, you should know & this is our opinion about it-

it`s the same at our shows.-but it just should take a little part in it.-
THE 5th KIND
Me, Myself & Irene

Postby Gouliovandamn » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:28 am

i am canadian so our political system is a little different than in the USA but still, politics have no right to be in the movie business.... they are different and i will not boycott the oscars because i have watched the, every year since 1994 but i will not enjoy the show if all chris rock does is bash the president.... those jokes are old.... we have heard all the anti-bush jokes a million times over by now.... the man has been president for over 4 years... how many new jokes can you possible have about him..... so i agree with you that politics should not be in show business but i will watch the show anyways...
Gouliovandamn
Horton Hears a Who!

Postby carreyd away » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:21 am

Chris Rock bashes everybody. It's what he does. When the Oscar gang invited him to host, I'm sure they were familiar with his work. Sure he bashes Bush, but he crucifies the people in the front row too. He is a loose cannon and that's what makes him funny and makes good TV. You don't invite a controversial outspoken comic to host your event and expect him to play nicey-nicey, otherwise they would've asked John Stamos or Ryan Seacrest. The Oscars are so boring they need someone to spice it up. This way people will tune in to see what kind of "train wreck" is going to happen. And I will be watching for that reason.

Hollywood has it's own brand of political BS. Don't think the government and Hollywood studios don't walk hand & hand. That's where standards & practices and the MPAA (ratings system) come from. If you don't like what people have to say, turn down the volume or better yet change the channel. There are alot of politically themed films up for Oscars throughout the years, both historical and slanted in nature ie: ( The Insider, Bowling for Columbine, Patton, Saving Private Ryan, Norma Rae etc.) To say the Oscars and politics beliefs don't go together is ludicrous. They've always been that way and always will. Give a celebrity a microphone and a camera they will speak their mind! Guaranteed!
carreyd away
A Christmas Carol

Postby Filomena » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:56 pm

That's an interesting point of view.

If you need to invite a controversial comic to spice up the awards, then I think that says a lot about the entertainment value of the show itself. The show is boring bc people are acting like they just solved world peace, when all they did was win an award for work that people oustide of the Academy didn't even vote for in the first place. Don't get me wrong, if there's a movie out there I really loved, or if there's someone out there that did an outstanding job, then i think it's great that they get recognized.

As for train wrecks, I think we have enough of them in the world today that I don't need to turn on the tv and see another one!

I also think you can be hilariously funny, like I'm going to pee in my pants, knee-slapping funny, without picking on people or making them feel embarrassed. Like Ellen DeGeneres was great as the Host of the Grammys one year. And Johhny Carson was a class act.

This deserves another topic -- thanks Carreyd away!
Filomena
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Return to Off Topic