Jim Carrey Online
You are here: HomeBoard index General Discussion Off Topic

question about you

Here is where you discuss everything under the sun, just keep it clean.

Postby cotton » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:56 pm

I don´t understand this sentence. Is it somehow "forbidden" or just not good thing to women in USA drive a car? Why is that?

No we are not forbidden to drive. But I know lots of women who get nervous behind the wheel because the drivers out here drive like maniacs. So some women prefer not drive because of that.
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby JT Carrey » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:52 pm

there are accidents ALL the time in LA, once there was an accident with something like 200 cars on the Long Beach freeway but I don't think anyone died in that accident but many were injured
~*~J.T. Carrey~*~

"I was sitting back in my chair thinking 'this can't be about urine'" - Jim talking about the musical Urinetown :D
JT Carrey
Dumb and Dumber To

I drove for 12 years

Postby Cheryl Anna » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:30 pm

I drove for 12 years and had a perfect driving record, too.

Before I turned 31, the DMV found out that I was driving with my progressive genetic physical handicap and they became hysterical: demanding that I take a 45-minute drive test every year and sending me letters like "For the safety of you and others on the road you must comply".--others on the road-there are so many bad drivers out there that I hand to slam on the brakes many times to avoid them. As for the 45 minute drive test-I took it once: the tester was 45 minutes late, she was with another client,-so I got tired, the test was late in the day, and I made a lot of stupid errors.

I decided not to go through that again-so after the next year I quit driving. A friend drives me, I take the disabled person's bus (which stops right in front of my house), or I ride my scooter (which I have ridden 10 miles before).

If there was a cure for my physical handicap, I would not go back to driving. I have lost my driving nerve: during my last year of driving I got nervous easily and I felt that my driving, I was only able to drive around town, was not as good as before.
Cheryl Anna
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby thecablegal » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:37 pm

my mum drove like a fool today, and we were nearly hit! it's dangerous here, people drive too slow... weird I know, but it's a pain! someone i know had their car all smashed in 2 weeks ago, luckily he was only a little sore, and if he'd had his baby in the car with him (he didn't) it could have killed the baby!!!
Muse - 10, 11, 14, 22 & 23 November 2006
Muse - Wembley Stadium - 16 & 17 June 2007
Muse - Royal Albert Hall - 12 April 2008
Muse - 10 November 2009 & 13 November 2009
Muse - 11 September 2010
thecablegal
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby jims_lost_daughter » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:48 pm

i dont drive. im too young but hey....i dont
jims_lost_daughter
Yes Man

Re: Driving Ms. Jaynie

Postby Jim-aholic » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:27 am

Canadian Jayne wrote:Yes, I drive, have for years but I don't have a car.
Toooooooo expensive.

I agree driving a car is expensive. For instance... here in Belgium the price of petrol is incredible high!!! I think now 1 liter costs around 1,10€ (+- 1,50 $) :shock:
bumblebeetuna... bumblebeetuna!!
Jim-aholic
High Strung

Postby JT Carrey » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:42 am

eek around here it's 2.50 a liter...
~*~J.T. Carrey~*~

"I was sitting back in my chair thinking 'this can't be about urine'" - Jim talking about the musical Urinetown :D
JT Carrey
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Jim-aholic » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:45 am

JT Carrey wrote:eek around here it's 2.50 a liter...

No way!! ... so an average tank would cost me 75 $ :shock: :shock:
bumblebeetuna... bumblebeetuna!!
Jim-aholic
High Strung

Postby JT Carrey » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:54 am

wait what's a liter? lol I should have converted that first, also how large is your tank? I know a tank in a toyota corolla (my moms car) is about 20-30 dollars
~*~J.T. Carrey~*~

JT Carrey
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby -->Blunt<-- » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:13 pm

I drive.

Btw: Is it true that you must only make some few hours and can than do the test to get the driver's licence? Here in Germany you have to take at least 14 hours but nearly everybody takes 20 till 30. They are expensive (30 Euro one hour) and the tests also are (190 Euros). We also have to take 20 theoretical lessons and pass a theoretical test (90 Euros).

And when we are here I can ask some more questions about America: I heard that you are allowed to drive from the age of 16, you can drink alcohol from the age of 21, you can get weapons from the age of 16 legally and you are only allowed to drive 100 mph on highways, although you can see everything there and can't have an accident so fast. Is that all true? It seemes odd because in Germany you are allowed to drive from the age of 18, you can drink beer and light alcohol from the age of 16 and hart alcohol from the age of 18, nearly nobody is allowed to have weapons at home (not even policeofficers) and you can drive nearly as fast as you want on the motorways.
I'm qì, my friend.
-->Blunt<--
Yes Man

Postby JT Carrey » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:28 pm

all I know is that I read the drivers manual, took a written test, then had drivers lessons, about 10-15 I think, then took the drivers test, passed and got my license.

Driving age I think is 16, drinking age is 21, smoking age is 18 I think, about weapons, I think you have to have a license and I think you have to be over 18, but usually people out here get weapons illegally but I think you have to go through a long process to get one and you have to have it for a good reason (hunting, police work etc.) as for driving on the freeways, the speed limit is 65 MPH, if you go 100 you will definately get a ticket, driving on the highways (streets) it's 25 in residential areas and 35 on busy streets. I don't drive though because it costs me $600 a month for insurance because I got my license when I was 19, which is pretty late, and I live in Los Angeles in a very high accident area, and I basically just have the worst against me, so my insurance sky rockets, I can't afford 600 a month just to drive so I don't drive.
~*~J.T. Carrey~*~

JT Carrey
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby -->Blunt<-- » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:09 pm

Smoking age is also 18? Here it is 16.
I'm qì, my friend.
-->Blunt<--
Yes Man

Postby JT Carrey » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:16 pm

yea I think it's 18, I don't smoke, so I don't pay attention to those things but I think it is 18
~*~J.T. Carrey~*~

JT Carrey
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby CarreyCrazy » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:57 am

Yeah it's 18 to buy cigarettes. I don't smoke myself, but I know other people that do.

-Kristin
CarreyCrazy
Dumb & Dumber

Postby clemato » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:26 pm

Reminds me of Clerks....

But I didn't sell cigarettes to any kid!

To a five-year-old kid? What a scumbag!

I've been driving since I was 16 and I love it. Maybe if you learn in a city and busy highways you enjoy it more. The people I know that were raised in the country or metropolitan areas with public transit don't like driving very much.
clemato
Earth Girls Are Easy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic