Jim Carrey Online
You are here: HomeBoard index General Discussion Off Topic

Prescriptions and vacines

Here is where you discuss everything under the sun, just keep it clean.

Prescriptions and vacines

Postby Canadian Jayne » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:39 am

Why are prescription drugs and VACINES so
Size generic
I have always wondered why people's weight and size is
rarely considered when receiving these
Its given out as "One size fits all"
also why aren't allergy tests given earlier
in life for prevention purposes
I have heard so many horrific stories
of children given penicillin when they were
allergic to it
they were never previously tested
"An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure"
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Re: Prescriptions and vacines

Postby EBGB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Most medication is tested on men, as well, which is turning out more & more to be inappropriate, given that women can respond differently. OTOH pharma development & registration is SPECTACULARLY expensive for each drug approved, given how many fail ever to reach approval, so it's not massively surprising that in the past it's been a moderately generic test population. As I understand it, there's starting to be much more finessed R&D now in terms of personalised medication, but no idea when it'll become mainstream practice.

I believe that allergies generally are becoming more common, tho' I couldn't quote any peer-reviewed data on that. Anecdotes seem always to suggest that grubbier kids are less prone than the ones whose parents chase them around with cleaning products & anti-microbial gunk. There's always also the fact that these days medicine keeps alive some whom nature would previously have culled - harsh, but true - so maybe the allergies are higher in that sub-population? I can't imagine how expensive / complicated it would be to start testing everyone for antibiotic allergies prior to need, particularly given the excessive over-use of antibiotics & the corresponding increase in resistant microbes, which definitely don't need encouragement. Weirdly, my sister's mother-in-law was found to be allergic to an antibiotic last year which hasn't happened to her before - and she's well into her 80s. So maybe these things can also be late-onset? I've been to her house, though, and it definitely wasn't a result of excessive hygiene ... :lol:

I'm in the UK, so other than the embarrassment & associated downstream healthcare impacts of producing Andrew Wakefield, we're mostly pretty sensible about having vaccines done here. I know that MMR vaccine take-up fell off following that corrupt man's scaremongering, but I'm pretty sure it's coming back now to where it should be for herd immunity.

& you might rather like this quote:
Hee is a better physician that keepes diseases off us, than hee that cures them being on us;
preuention is so much better than healing because it saues the labor of being sicke.

(Thomas Adams, 17th C preacher)
EBGB

Postby Canadian Jayne » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Absolutely love the quote
thanks for sharing

Spring allergy season is upon us
recently I noticed after the allergy
medicine wares off I feel down

There is some research on suicides and allergies
Statistics show that spring is the most likely time
Now I understand why
There is research for August time period also

It's interesting stuff
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:36 pm

Those are all fair points.
I can tell you i became seriously ill at the age of 7 due to a vaccine injury, i won't bore you with the details but the vaccine in question was the Tetanus Vaccine. Fortunately i recovered but it could have been a very different outcome.
My advise would be to keep informed so you can make educated decisions re vaccines.
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Canadian Jayne » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:01 am

Yes
I agree
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby EvaAraujo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:19 pm

EBGB wrote:Most medication is tested on men, as well, which is turning out more & more to be inappropriate, given that women can respond differently. OTOH pharma development & registration is SPECTACULARLY expensive for each drug approved, given how many fail ever to reach approval, so it's not massively surprising that in the past it's been a moderately generic test population. As I understand it, there's starting to be much more finessed R&D now in terms of personalised medication, but no idea when it'll become mainstream practice.

I believe that allergies generally are becoming more common, tho' I couldn't quote any peer-reviewed data on that. Anecdotes seem always to suggest that grubbier kids are less prone than the ones whose parents chase them around with cleaning products & anti-microbial gunk. There's always also the fact that these days medicine keeps alive some whom nature would previously have culled - harsh, but true - so maybe the allergies are higher in that sub-population? I can't imagine how expensive / complicated it would be to start testing everyone for antibiotic allergies prior to need, particularly given the excessive over-use of antibiotics & the corresponding increase in resistant microbes, which definitely don't need encouragement. Weirdly, my sister's mother-in-law was found to be allergic to an antibiotic last year which hasn't happened to her before - and she's well into her 80s. So maybe these things can also be late-onset? I've been to her house, though, and it definitely wasn't a result of excessive hygiene ... :lol:

I'm in the UK, so other than the embarrassment & associated downstream healthcare impacts of producing Andrew Wakefield, we're mostly pretty sensible about having vaccines done here. I know that MMR vaccine take-up fell off following that corrupt man's scaremongering, but I'm pretty sure it's coming back now to where it should be for herd immunity.

& you might rather like this quote:
Hee is a better physician that keepes diseases off us, than hee that cures them being on us;
preuention is so much better than healing because it saues the labor of being sicke.

(Thomas Adams, 17th C preacher)

I agree. Prevention is the best way to avoid it.
This vaccine topic is very hard sometimes because we as general public don't get the whole story.

In USA it seem like the whole pharmacy industry may need some help because there's a lot of abuse.

Regarding vaccines I do believe they are important.
But since this is a subject that Jim and other have gotten a lot of heat over it let me just say that never once I saw him say that people show not take vaccines. Not once.

So I agree that we need prevention.
I also believe we need to be careful of what we put in our bodies.
I'm a guardian of the spark...
I'm a God damn and proud good fan... and I love it! = )>
EvaAraujo
JCO Staff

Postby AdaL » Sun May 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Even if he has an opinion or a cause I may not agree with, I'll never think anything less of him for it because he has a good heart in the right place. He's motivated by compassion and kindness and that's what's important. I know how contentious the subject is, but I hate to see him attacked left right and centre for what he says.
Nobody has to elect not to vaccinate due to what he's saying; they're still free to make their own decisions and he's free to say exactly what he thinks.
My personal view on vaccines is, they should be administered and I would always vaccinate my own children if I had any but if Mercury and aluminium are still present in the formula, they should be excised; even at 'trace amounts', this is not something anyone should be injecting into their bodies on any level.
AdaL
The Majestic

Postby Canadian Jayne » Tue May 03, 2016 4:24 am

Agreed
We all have the freedom of choice
It's up to us to be educated, investigative
find out as much as possible from as many sources as we can
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue May 03, 2016 10:09 pm

The problem is there are so many lies and contradictions out there. For example one minute red wine is good for you the next it's not, it all depends on the research and who is funding it. My Dr told me to live my life, eat and drink what i want (within reason) and enjoy it. Let's face it i'd rather enjoy my life without the neurosis that comes with obsessional health watching (i've been there, so i know). I don't want to live to my dotage if my mind has failed me and there's no way of knowing if it will.....besides, North Korea might blow us off the face off the Earth anyway, so let's all eat chocolate and ice-cream now whilst we can! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby AdaL » Wed May 04, 2016 1:24 am

fluffy wrote:The problem is there are so many lies and contradictions out there. For example one minute red wine is good for you the next it's not, it all depends on the research and who is funding it. My Dr told me to live my life, eat and drink what i want (within reason) and enjoy it. Let's face it i'd rather enjoy my life without the neurosis that comes with obsessional health watching (i've been there, so i know). I don't want to live to my dotage if my mind has failed me and there's no way of knowing if it will.....besides, North Korea might blow us off the face off the Earth anyway, so let's all eat chocolate and ice-cream now whilst we can! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I agree.
I think I'm getting into the obsessive health thing and it's f**king miserable.. buying only organic and tracking all the chemical additives. I've cut right down on wine to practically nothing and I bloody LOVE wine. :(
And pumpkin seeds are not a tasty snack - they're an abomination.

I like your Dr btw.
AdaL
The Majestic

Postby fluffy » Sat May 07, 2016 11:09 am

I've been a neurotic health watcher in the past. All multi vitamins and juicing. Eating a limited but supposedly healthy diet and i can honestly say i felt blooming awful. I've been a gym freak too and that made me ill.....I feel best on a high protein diet where i eat meat and fish and the gym is visited in moderation. Everyone is different so my advice is to listen to your body. Organic etc has been proven in the UK to not make any difference so i'd save your cash (give Holland and Barrett a miss). Drink your wine in moderation and enjoy life. If limiting yourself is making you depressed then relax it, you'll feel far healthier if you are happy. Try relaxing your diet for a month and note down any changes in mood and feeling and see how it goes.
We have an old Scottish saying which goes 'live for today, cause yer a lang time dead' :D .
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby AdaL » Sat May 07, 2016 9:51 pm

fluffy wrote:I've been a neurotic health watcher in the past. All multi vitamins and juicing. Eating a limited but supposedly healthy diet and i can honestly say i felt blooming awful. I've been a gym freak too and that made me ill.....I feel best on a high protein diet where i eat meat and fish and the gym is visited in moderation. Everyone is different so my advice is to listen to your body. Organic etc has been proven in the UK to not make any difference so i'd save your cash (give Holland and Barrett a miss). Drink your wine in moderation and enjoy life. If limiting yourself is making you depressed then relax it, you'll feel far healthier if you are happy. Try relaxing your diet for a month and note down any changes in mood and feeling and see how it goes.
We have an old Scottish saying which goes 'live for today, cause yer a lang time dead' :D .

Yep. The stress of label checking and obsessing is far worse for you than any chip or cake.
I've bought all sorts of potions and remedies in H&B and I'm still waiting to feel the difference (aside from the lighter purse). My last buy was unrefined organic unicorn sugar crafted in a rainbow or something. SEVEN QUID!! And you didn't even get a resealable bag for that! :x
Like you say, everything in moderation and enjoy life. And I think I may nab your Scottish saying and make it my mantra :lol:
AdaL
The Majestic

Postby fluffy » Sun May 08, 2016 11:01 am

:lol: i think it should be everyone's mantra. :lol:

Re multi vits, One good all round tablet should be enough. But if i have any advice it would make sure you get out in the daylight/sunlight as much as you can.In the UK (especially Scotland) we don't get enough vitamin D, which can cause all sorts of problems, so even when it's cold, wrap up and go out for a walk in the daylight :D Fresh air and sunlight are good medicines for a lot of things. In the old days they used to have sanatoriums for things like TB where they could wheel the beds outside onto a deck, the patients would be all wrapped up warm and they would get fresh air and daylight. Hospitals were also colder inside, they wore bed jackets and there was no MRSA and hospital aquired infections were a lot lower. Nowadays hospitals are like Greenhouses and infections are rife......if only they would turn the heating down a notch i bet the infection (and viral) rates would fall. :lol: :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby AdaL » Sun May 08, 2016 6:30 pm

fluffy wrote::lol: i think it should be everyone's mantra. :lol:

Re multi vits, One good all round tablet should be enough. But if i have any advice it would make sure you get out in the daylight/sunlight as much as you can.In the UK (especially Scotland) we don't get enough vitamin D, which can cause all sorts of problems, so even when it's cold, wrap up and go out for a walk in the daylight :D Fresh air and sunlight are good medicines for a lot of things. In the old days they used to have sanatoriums for things like TB where they could wheel the beds outside onto a deck, the patients would be all wrapped up warm and they would get fresh air and daylight. Hospitals were also colder inside, they wore bed jackets and there was no MRSA and hospital aquired infections were a lot lower. Nowadays hospitals are like Greenhouses and infections are rife......if only they would turn the heating down a notch i bet the infection (and viral) rates would fall. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, it really is the best pick-me up of all, to get outside. And that's why I think we all go nuts in the UK when we get good weather (like today) because it's so bloody rare and we need it so much. Like you say, it's not even a case of waiting for warmth, though.. A brisk walk on a cold day can really clear the cobwebs.
I've just started on Flaxseed oil tablets - I am patiently awaiting my transformation into a robust super-human.
*looks at watch*
AdaL
The Majestic

Return to Off Topic