Jim Carrey Online

ESOTSM: How did it make you feel?

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Postby jims_lost_daughter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:58 am

i felt soooo bad for him.... i anted to hug him so hard to. Stupid bum she was go and erase him like that! Joel seemed like such a sweet guy. grr. Oh well, it turned out in the end :wink: i still feel bad for him though! :cry:
jims_lost_daughter
Yes Man

Postby Conor » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:44 am

i know this topic isnt the kind of feel i mean but here goes

i felt this

sadness
creeped out (when they had nothing on their faces)
happy
laughing
crying(not really)
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Postby quirky » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:03 am

I think Charlie Kaufman is a genius.

Some movies you watch, appreciate...go for a sail on calm waters and it requires very little effort.

These movies actually make the gears in my brain grind. I swear I can HEAR them grinding. These are choppy waters and you don't have a sail...you have frigging oars.

I don't want every film I see to be a Charlie Kaufman film, because they require effort to enjoy. Sort of an intelligent willing suspension of disbelief.

I thought the best line in the film was "constantly talking isn't neccessarily communicating."

Gong!

The performances were GREAT and I found it worthwhile to see the interviews with Michel Gondry and Jim about the way the film was made.

Fascinating stuff.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Conor » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:25 am

yeah watching this movie i think his movies are confusing.
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Gouliovandamn » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:09 am

i never thought this movie was confusing at all.... i understood it from the first time i saw it, and now that ive seen it likeover 10 times i still understand it.... i love this movie....
Gouliovandamn
Horton Hears a Who!

Postby Conor » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:07 pm

i watcheed it again and i prolly understand it about 85% out of 100%
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Postby quirky » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:40 am

Gouliovandamn wrote:i never thought this movie was confusing at all.... i understood it from the first time i saw it, and now that ive seen it likeover 10 times i still understand it.... i love this movie....

I like the movie too. But it requires some effort to appreciate it thoroughly, I think. To me, that's what Charlie Kaufman's movies are like. The movies actively engage you. It's not like a "Finding Nemo" that you can just relax and enjoy. There's a certain amount of tension when you're watching.

I've seen it once, and I think if I saw it again I'd probably catch things I missed the first time even though I was paying attention.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby carreyd away » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:07 pm

I thought the best line in the film was "constantly talking isn't neccessarily communicating."

That one hit the nail on the head for me too. I loved this movie, the metaphors were so great! Like when Joel & Clementine are arguing in the house and the waves are crashing in and the house is falling apart and being swept away. Also the darkness in the film seemd to me part of the dream state that your are in when you're alseep. I've had many dreams were the people had no faces and the stories are always disjointed and don't follow a linear path. It really made you feel as though you were inside of Joel's head.

Charlie Kaufman IS genius! Being John Malkovich is in my top 10 movies, I also loved Adaptation and the old TV show he wrote for, Ned & Stacy with Thomas Hayden Church and Debra Messing. His sacastic wit is above and beyond any others in this decade. So glad he got his Oscar!
carreyd away
A Christmas Carol

Postby quirky » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:14 am

You're so right about the dreamlike quality of things in the film.

There were so many moments when it was like a waking dream...I suppose part of that is Gondry's direction.

Would you believe I have "Being John Malkovich" and haven't seen it?

I keep forgetting.

I loved "Adaptation" too.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Good Call

Postby Count Olaf » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:48 pm

Yes good call Carreyd away what you said was something i never thought about thats why it was so intriguing because it kind of seemed like this allowed us to see how dreams work and how the story is always disjointed and often has individuals who you know however vaguely remember exactly who they are. You hit it on the button why i'm attracted to this film Carreyd away. Extraordinary movies do things like this they give us insight to our own lives.
Count Olaf
Pink Cadillac

Postby Conor » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:36 pm

at first i had no idea what was going on then i realized he was in dreamland or sorta a map of his brain.
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Previous

Return to (2004) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind