Jim Carrey Online

What is the most out-of-the-box movie Jim has done so far?

Discuss older Jim Carrey movies.

What is the most out-of-the-box movie Jim has done so far?

Postby KC8t80 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:59 am

my vote is for "The Majestic."

Honestly, at the time, when Jim does comedy i know what to expect and i already know i'll love it but when he did "The Majestic" it was a complete curve ball to left side of the plate. Doing a straight up serious film was something no thought of him doing. Sure he did some serious films before.....Truman Show was a bit more of a mello-drama, as well as, Man on the Moon, but nothing were he was the main focus.
I am part of an elite group of people......THE MEN OF JCO.

(Standing member since July 18th, 2005)

THE FEW AND THE PROUD!!!!
KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby MandyCarrey » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:53 pm

Yeh i agree with you on that one. :D
MandyCarrey
Yes Man

Postby quirky » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:09 pm

It's really close.

For me, it's "Man on the Moon."

I think that's the first time he BECAME someone else. That performance was just astounding and had to be difficult.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby KC8t80 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:39 pm

that is true but i kind of expected that from Jim since he likes to immurse himself into a role.

KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Niobe » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:05 pm

Blimey, tough call this one. :?
The Majestic was different. Very straight. Very different to what was expected of him. Great film.

But, I think my vote would have to go to Man On The Moon too. Not only were people taken a-back when they saw it.....wacky Jim, in the conventional, way it was not......but he really did take on the role of Kaufman, becoming him. I may be wrong, but I think that was a role that Jim could sink into more than any other.

Plus, I love that movie. 8)
Everybody should believe in something.
I believe I'll have another coffee!
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby jimliker » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:23 pm

I will also go for The Majestic

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:52 pm

Eternal Sunshine..........creatively it was pure genius on a relative shoestring...........it's art house, a diversion from the mega budget format.......i think he took a well calculated risk.........other than that Ace Ventura..........because he (re)wrote it..........that took a major leap of faith and a lot of guts.............likewise in FWDAJ to go for the re-write took serious guts................rather than accept mediocrity he stood his ground and pulled it off..........i just hope he gets all the respect he's due for his decisions and people see beyond 'wacky Jim'.........he's a formidable force..........

fluffy :wink:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby KC8t80 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:40 am

those actually my picks behind the Majestic. i picked Majestic for pretty much the same reason as u did Eternal Sunshine. i thought Majestic was kind of an art-house film and wasn't a really high budget film. but i could be wrong on that.

KC8t80
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:01 pm

it certainly was a 'break-out' and brave move for him............the boy's got guts....... :wink:

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Cheryl Anna » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:48 pm

I love "The Majestic", and have watched it many times. I bought it, used, on dvd about a month ago-and have watched it twice (once, yesterday). It is so sweet-a love story.
Cheryl Anna
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby MandyCarrey » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:02 pm

Yeh i really liked majestic. I dont really watch man on the moon much. only bits of it now and again i love watching the tony clifton bits esspecially when he gets thrown out of the studio and keeps asking that guard at the gates for things lol. i always remember the line.. "how about a bathroom i may have **** my pants" :D ...... but it makes me sad watching all of it.
MandyCarrey
Yes Man

Postby sianlee » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:00 pm

That is a tough one! Well to tell you the truth I loved The Truman Show, The Majestic, and Eternal Sunshine.

I didn't really like... well not as much now, man on the moon. He was a bit funny in it. I mean I liked it and all... but :oops: I dont know who tony clifton is, so I didnt really like him doing that.

The majestic I remmeber as soon as I saw it, I said, 'thats my favourite movie!!!' But i havent seen it in a while, still I loved it.

The truman show, well, I like it cause.... its sentamental value (is that the word) something that no one else know... or whatever.

Eternal Sunshine, well same as the truman show because I could relate to it so much.

So overall, I dont really know what to pick, they were all great. If you're after the most serious, the The Majestic, followed by Eternal Sunshine. Then I would have to go with the Truman Show... there were good funny bits in there. I loved his line "Just incase I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, goodnight" *sigh with a smile*. Then last of all, Man on the moon. Twas serious... but didnt like it as much as the rest
sianlee
Horton Hears a Who!

Postby shamaho » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:23 am

Glad to see I'm not the only fan of 'The Majestic'.....a big risk, panned by critics, bombed at the BO, but I loved it - people who say it's sappy are RIGHT!! But it's right up there with 'It's a Wonderful Life' in my book. When he walks out on those A-holes in court, I cheer every time. A theme very close to my heart, especially of late. To heck with worrying about whether you'll get mowed down - stand up and fight, dammit...!! 8)
shamaho
The Truman Show

Postby Mia » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:41 am

You can say that again. :)
Mia
The Number 23

Postby shamaho » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:50 am

I would, but people get sick of me after a while....there are even a couple that hate me. I say "more power to ya", now screw off and go to hell. 8)
shamaho
The Truman Show

Next

Return to Older Movies