Jim Carrey Online

The Cable Guy Appreciation Thread

Discuss older Jim Carrey movies.

Comedy classic or comedy letdown?

Yes, I laugh my socks off each time I watch.
60%
No, it's rubbish and I don't know what Jim was thinking.
5%
Maybe, it's kinda funny but not his best by any means.
33%
The Cable What?? I've never even seen it. What are you talking about?
3%

Total votes : 40

The Cable Guy Appreciation Thread

Postby Niobe » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:19 pm

OK, I have to say that The Cable Guy is one of my favourite Jim films. Didn't love it at first, but have grown to see it as one of his funniest films ever. I love the dark humour and the morale ending.
There are so many classic one-liners in this film, Jim's cable guy is a fantastic creation and it's probably his most under-rated film in my opinion.

But of course, some people think it's pants and best forgotten. :?

What do the JCO crew really think about this film.......?
Everybody should believe in something.
I believe I'll have another coffee!
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby jimliker » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:44 pm

The movie is OK..not very good & not very bad.

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby KOknockout » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:33 pm

I didn't really like it at first either, but now I love it. I really hope they put out a special edition DVD like they just did with Dumb & Dumber. Didn't they have to take out some scenes to get a PG-13 rating? I've seen some pictures of scenes that aren't in the movie, like in the booklet for the soundtrack there's a picture of Chip laying on top of Steven's car, and that's not in the movie. They just show Steven get into the car, and then the scene changes. I never saw it in the theaters, but I read that there were some scenes that they showed in the theaters that weren't in the VHS or DVD versions.

This one question always pops into my head when I watch the film, and I was wondering if someone could explain this to me. How did Steven get ahold of Chip in the first place instead of a real cable guy? The only explanation I can think of is that maybe Chip has a way of listening in on phone calls? I know it's just a movie, but I'm just curious as to how he did it. :P
KOknockout
Finders Keepers

Postby trishroberts » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:12 pm

I love the Cable Guy, thats right so many fantastic one liners. I cant say Steven without a lisp now !

Not a drip. :shock:
trishroberts
Man on the Moon

Postby MandyCarrey » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:33 pm

lol!! i thought about tht.. how did he do tht... he is on the phone up a pole in the middle of the movie wen he calls robin about steven.. maybe he did listen in on the call and thought steven sounded interestin lol.. the guy had a plan!................ i just read the hello thread in members and i wrote about wat i thought of this film.. but ill type it agen just in case u guys dnt read it lol.... i just sed tht i dint like the ending to the film in the begining it kinda freaked me out... you kno wen u watch a movie and it kinda gets to ya and u think about it for ages afterwards???.. it was like tht... but the next day i wanted to watch it agen and agen.... now i luv the ending... specially the bit where steven and chip are fitting. (i mentioned some quotes i liked in the other thread)... but i also luv wen chip sings the tune to cops.... bad boys bad boys watcha gonna do!... lol... does anyone have sum rare pics from this film??... or screen caps from dvds???

also just to brag lol i can do a wicked impressionation of chip wen he sez "can u scootch over just a tad" to a T! lol... i kno its weird but im proud of it and my friends luved it lol. :D :oops:
MandyCarrey
Yes Man

Postby KOknockout » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:12 pm

MandyCarrey wrote:lol!! i thought about tht.. how did he do tht... he is on the phone up a pole in the middle of the movie wen he calls robin about steven.. maybe he did listen in on the call and thought steven sounded interestin lol.. the guy had a plan!................

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. He must've been plugging into the phone poles and listening to phone calls or something. That's what makes the film creepy I think, cause you're always wondering how he managed to do all this stuff. What's also creepy is the camera he hid under Steven's table. He must've put it there the first day he was there, cause he wasn't in the house again until after Steven had Robin over. And even creepier was the fact that Chip was able to get into Steven's house to put the tv and stuff in there. That would've made me very worried. :shock: :lol:
KOknockout
Finders Keepers

Postby MandyCarrey » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:16 pm

Yeh wen u start thinking about the stuff tht chip does during the film.. the more creepier he gets... :chip: :D
MandyCarrey
Yes Man

Postby Niobe » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:18 pm

I think you've all hit on the essence of what the cable guy is. He's a stalker. When you learn about all those guys with the TV-linked names who have worked for the Cable Company. They are all him in different guises. He worked for them once and got sacked for stalking customers and now he does it from the outside.
It is creepy, which is what makes him so interesting. And funny of course.
Then at the end of the film you see him latch onto his next 'victim'. The guy is needy - he wants somebody to love. :wink: :lol:

Another fave line: "Promise me you'll never go bungee jumping in Mexico, they just don't have the regulations'. :lol: :lol:
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby MandyCarrey » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:22 pm

awww yeh bless wen he tlks about the girl he asked to marry him... he looks so sweet and innocent then.
MandyCarrey
Yes Man

Postby MandyCarrey » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:24 pm

does anyone have any pics from this movie then tht they can post???................... what are your other fave quotes in the film??... i love the medievel times resturaunt lol!!... wen they do the battle and i luv wen Jim flips steve over.. wen he runs towards him.. i luv little things like tht in this film.. i dnt kno wat it is...... :D 8)
MandyCarrey
Yes Man

Postby KOknockout » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:28 pm

Yeah, I love the part where Rick tells Steven all the names Chip's been using. "The guy is deeply troubled." :lol: The bungee jumping line is great. I love how he acts all upset and then turns away and has this look on his face like he can't believe she bought it. :lol:

Another great part of the movie is in the beginning when Steven has to sign the form, and Chip just keeps staring down at him while he's signing it. Then Steven starts to look up and Chip quickly looks away. :lol: The whole beginning is funny, actually.

Steven: You were supposed to be here four hours ago.
Chip: Was I? So, I'm the tardy one?
Steven: Well, yeah. I was gonna go to that bed and bath place, and now it's closed.
Chip: Well, maybe I shouldn't have come at all, JERK OFF! *pause* I'm just jokin' with ya! :lol:
KOknockout
Finders Keepers

Postby KOknockout » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:30 pm

MandyCarrey wrote:does anyone have any pics from this movie then tht they can post???................... what are your other fave quotes in the film??... i love the medievel times resturaunt lol!!... wen they do the battle and i luv wen Jim flips steve over.. wen he runs towards him.. i luv little things like tht in this film.. i dnt kno wat it is...... :D 8)

Aw, I could quote the movie all day. :lol: There's so many great lines worth mentioning. The Medieval Times scene rules! "You're going down red knight! Down, down, down. Red knight going down. Down, down, down. Red knight going down!" :lol: Also when they're fighting, I love when Chip runs after Steven and yells, "Come back here, so that I may brain thee!" :lol:
KOknockout
Finders Keepers

Postby Niobe » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 pm

This isn't quite the moment, but I love the bit when it gets announced that Chip and Steven are gonna fight in the arena. Steven looks mortified and Chip has that false 'no way!' look on his face. Classic.

(Sorry should have picked a bigger pic. Derr.)
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby MandyCarrey » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 pm

is it weird tht i think Jim is kinda gorgeous creepy wen he wispers in stevens ear "i saw the birth mark on her left shoulder its very sexy".... not the tounge bit thts wierd.. but as hes wlkin up to him he does this look thts kinda evil sexy... i dnt kno wat it is but theres a turn on with Jim bein a lil evil and creepy... its the same with hank in me, myself and irene... do u guys like tht film too??? 8)
MandyCarrey
Yes Man

Postby KOknockout » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 pm

There's some pics in the JCO gallery. I love this pic:

KOknockout
Finders Keepers

Next

Return to Older Movies