Jim Carrey Online

Yes Man : Reviews

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Postby indy-jones » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:24 pm

As always, Carrey kept me both laughing and entertained from beginning to end.

Sure it feels similar to Bruce Almighty if you look at it this way. Carrey plays another incompentent man who gets into a life-changing moment, abuses it very hilariously only to realize what he had done, and by the end of the movie was able to make things right before living happily ever after. However, I didn't really see it that way until I walked out of the theater, but it was still pretty good for what it is. It has a great concept that interests me and may give non-Carrey fans some interest too.

The rest of the cast also did their job including the hilarious Rhys Darby. I have no problem with the casting of Zooey Deschanel. I guess they wanted someone who is hot-looking and odd to play opposite Carrey.

Overall, this is a funny movie and worth owning for all Carrey fans.

My only gripe with this movie is where I'm tired of hearing critics say stuff like "there was a time when Jim Carrey was a box office megastar." Well to me, he IS and always will be a box office megastar. Also, they have no idea what Jim has in store for us in 2009!
"Snakes! Why it had to be snakes?"
-Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
indy-jones
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Postby Happygal » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:47 am

I've already seen it twice, and I LOVE IT!!! Zooey and Jim were great together, but thats just my opinion. I love Zooey, and it was amazing to see one of my favorite actresses with Jim.
One person's craziness, is another person's reality. ~ Tim Burton
Happygal
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:32 pm

He says the same thing on his interviews. :D
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby grinchy steve » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:53 pm

The first real review in a Belgian paper sounds good, I'm glad. I'll try to translate the big lines ... (the review is fine, my translation is not ;) )

In "Yes Man", Carl is trying to turn his life around, a great pleasure for the audience. Storywise this comedy has no suprises and doesn't go out with a big bang, but it doesn't need such a thing. The movie can trust on one giant positive thing : Jim Carrey.

The comedian might look a bit older since the last time we saw him, but the guy hasn't lost a bit of his flair. (don't know the english word) Director Peyton Reed gives him carte blance and that's a chance the actor takes with both hands.

When someone can't laugh when Carrey is speaking Korean, jumping out of a car under influence of Red Bull, or trying to avoid a fight being drunk, it must be a person who has something against the actor and he/she shouldn't read any further.

This concept is the perfect material for Jim Carrey, he knows what to do with this. The feel good message is extremely predictable and the things that happen aren't real enough to accept, but you leave the theatre with a smile on your face. Mission accomplished, I say.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby ChazzleDazzle » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Just got home from seeing it, and it was what I expected, the same kind of stuff he's done this past decade. It was funny at times, but never LOL kind of funny. It followed the same formula you've gotten used to by now.

How it has a 7.3 on IMDb while many of his other (superior) movies are way below that is a mystery to me.
ChazzleDazzle
Finders Keepers

Postby chips and dip » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Happygal wrote:I've already seen it twice, and I LOVE IT!!! Zooey and Jim were great together, but thats just my opinion. I love Zooey, and it was amazing to see one of my favorite actresses with Jim.

Was it as good the second time?
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:59 pm

:wink: ..............always......lol.........
the second time you catch the little bits you missed the first time round.. :D

fluffy :D
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby chips and dip » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:02 pm

fluffy wrote::wink: ..............always......lol.........
the second time you catch the little bits you missed the first time round.. :D

fluffy :D

I would go see it now if it wasn't storming where I am. ](*,) :cry:
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:05 am

where are you??

fluffy :wink:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby antoha148 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:07 pm

I enjoyed this movie and I think that it is one of the best Carrey's films.
:)
[signature]
antoha148
The Duck Factory

Postby TaMiReS » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:10 am

I saw it yesterday =]
You know, late release in Brazil...
But I loved it!
OMG sooooo good!!

Well, later I'll show you the reviews from Braziliam critics ;) :wink:
TaMiReS
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby TaMiReS » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:19 am

A brazilian review!

It's a bit long... :?

Laughter POSITIVE

Jim Carrey is funny. Very funny. Even when you have to do is stir the public (The Majestic, 2001, and Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind, 2004) can also start some smiles. In Yes Man (2008) the idea is to laugh, but with an embedded message to live life more positively and in part to its goal.

For the banking Carl Allen (Carrey) say no requests for loans is the easiest thing in the world and more than his friends insist he just says no to all invitations to parties, and entertainment outlets. Until an old acquaintance to ask for a program of self-help, in which live the life principle is to say yes to everything.

In the hands of Jim Carrey, the motto to say yes generates good laughs, pouring situations hilárias (Red Bull, Red Bull, Red Bull), passages fun (the festival of fantasy) and even beautiful moments (Hollywood Bowl). But Carrey still can be the best of the entire plot so that in any event shines more than the message itself. In a second he can apply its nuances (speaking in the cell line of rental), distributes a face here (dancing in the bar), one taken there (in the museum of the phone), the front stretch there (when fighting), physical humor is not call (in the photo-jogging) and even gives a exageradinha (to accept the favors of his neighbor, a lady).

Can not miss both the sweetness of Zooey Deschanel, as his two bilas blue. Although the character range from the love interest of protagonist nutcase and soft of heart, is when your big moment on stage. His songs are both interesting and bizarre. But the party people with weird weird does not end here. Holidays, in fact, led by co-worker of Carrey. Norman (Rhys Darby, great) is a poor nerd, always get a gang of jeitinho (that the short names?). Do not forget the tip of Luis Guzmán as a suicide, in which (again) Carrey detonate, and the duty of guru (Terence Stamp) who has moments Jasons, which is silly in the scene should end.

And simple it may seem, the philosophy of living life positively attached to generating a long feeling good and positive with laughter. It's fun? Absolutely! With guaranteed laughs? Absolutely! And is worth more for the ability to laugh at Jim Carrey to do to attract the attention of everyone and everything? Yes, man!

NOTE: 7.0
TaMiReS
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby Twigggy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:10 am

"At IMDB (regular people), the movie scores around 7.2, I think it will go down just a bit more, but then stays around the 7.[/quote]"

Well, surprisingly it hasn't gone down all that much. I personally thought the movie was a mess, and only voted a "5" on IMDB. Of course it wasn't the worst movie out there--or even the worst Jim Carrey movie (I think "Rubberface" and "The Number 23" definitely take the cake)--but I finsihed watching it last night underwhelmed & dissappointed. The writing was at times very predticable and formulaic. The directing was sloppy and I think Carrey's performance was the film's only saving grace--and even his character got dull after a while.

I haven't been really into newer Carrey flicks. The last that really made a significant impression on me was "Me, Myself and Irene." Characters like the guy from this--Karl was his name, right?--Bruce Nolan and that guy from "The Number 23" all seem a bit flat, stale, etc.

What Carrey really needs to do is work with good comedic directors--like the Farrelly Brothers. Last I heard he's going to play Curly in the new "Three Stooges" directed by the Farrelly Bros. so that's something to look forward to I guess.
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Postby Twigggy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:12 am

ChazzleDazzle wrote:Just got home from seeing it, and it was what I expected, the same kind of stuff he's done this past decade. It was funny at times, but never LOL kind of funny. It followed the same formula you've gotten used to by now.

How it has a 7.3 on IMDb while many of his other (superior) movies are way below that is a mystery to me.

I think you summed it up perfectly.
Twigggy
Bruce Almighty

Postby lammy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:13 pm

Seen it. :D It was really great, better than I expected. :D
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

PreviousNext

Return to (2008) Yes Man