Jim Carrey Online

The 'Yes Man' deal

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

The 'Yes Man' deal

Postby fluffy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:14 pm

IMDB posted this article in their news section today-

16 August 2007
Jim Carrey Deal -- Unmasked
Jim Carrey, the first movie star ever to command a salary of $20 million per picture, has signed a deal with Warner Bros. in which he will receive no upfront cash and no percentage of the gross for the upcoming film Yes Man. Instead, he will receive a so-called cash-break deal on 36.2 percent of the back end -- that is, the amount the studio holds onto after it recovers its production, prints and advertising costs. In her Deadline Hollywood blog, writer Nikki Finke remarks that this "could just turn out to be the worst talent deal ever" for a major star. "The conventional wisdom in Hollywood is always to get as much fixed compensation as you can upfront because you're never going to see the back end thanks to the studios' creative accounting," Finke wrote. She quoted one unnamed talent manager as saying, "Let me put it this way: if his reps were a hospital, they would be shut down for malpractice. This is a new kind of Hollywood stupid

Ok this is either going to prove very unprofitable for Jim or it's gonna work and 'trail blaze' a new kind of contract in Hollyweird.
I'm of the opinion that this is going to be the future of more high risk movies. The ridiculous production costs have pushed innovation and risk into an un-financed corner.......this way everyone shares the risks........

It might work, it might not but kudos for the change..........without it 'Yes Man' might not have had a chance!

your thoughts?

fluffy :wink:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby chip » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:05 am

it´s a very interesting deal, why not sharing the risks, and if it work, and if it works very well (the film, I mean) he could do more cash than those 20 millions.. I think it´s a good kind of deal for everybody.
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!! :D
chip
Doing Time On Maple Drive

Re: The 'Yes Man' deal

Postby lammy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:40 am

fluffy wrote:IMDB posted this article in their news section today-

16 August 2007
Jim Carrey Deal -- Unmasked
Jim Carrey, the first movie star ever to command a salary of $20 million per picture, has signed a deal with Warner Bros. in which he will receive no upfront cash and no percentage of the gross for the upcoming film Yes Man. Instead, he will receive a so-called cash-break deal on 36.2 percent of the back end -- that is, the amount the studio holds onto after it recovers its production, prints and advertising costs. In her Deadline Hollywood blog, writer Nikki Finke remarks that this "could just turn out to be the worst talent deal ever" for a major star. "The conventional wisdom in Hollywood is always to get as much fixed compensation as you can upfront because you're never going to see the back end thanks to the studios' creative accounting," Finke wrote. She quoted one unnamed talent manager as saying, "Let me put it this way: if his reps were a hospital, they would be shut down for malpractice. This is a new kind of Hollywood stupid

Ok this is either going to prove very unprofitable for Jim or it's gonna work and 'trail blaze' a new kind of contract in Hollyweird.
I'm of the opinion that this is going to be the future of more high risk movies. The ridiculous production costs have pushed innovation and risk into an un-financed corner.......this way everyone shares the risks........

It might work, it might not but kudos for the change..........without it 'Yes Man' might not have had a chance!

your thoughts?

fluffy :wink:

:roll: I wish he'd let me give him my story . :?

I'm sorry the guy who is originaly the Yes Man might have done a lot for his community but I think the plot is no good . I think about it and we are going to see a guy do everything people tell him to do - so we know that he is what ?

((((JMO)))
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:35 am

Lammy read the book and a guarantee you'll have a blast :lol: ........it's hilarious.......but he didnt do anything for the community....are you thinking of the same book??.....it's a great book, my only concern is that it's very very British and i wonder how it's gonna work for the USA.

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby jimliker » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:56 pm

oh but why the site is saying its not a good deal for a major star like Jim? :cry:

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:32 pm

I haven't read the book but I did see the real yes man do the things Jim is going to act out . It's just that Jim has more potential than that . Jim needs to do a real funny out of the word role and this ain't it . Sorry

((((JMO)))
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:56 pm

who's the real yes man??...... :shock:

fluffy :D
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby 123Dan123 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:56 pm

Isn't this similar to the 'I Love You Phillip Morris' deal?
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby Lena » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:33 pm

sounds like a good deal.
Lena
A Christmas Carol

Postby lammy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:05 pm

fluffy wrote:who's the real yes man??...... :shock:

That Danny guy . The guy who wrote it cause he experienced it ... still say it's not a cool movie . If you ask me sounds like another 23 plot . :!:

((((JMO))))
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:14 pm

Danny's a British writer/comedian........his books are hilarious but more importantly he's an innovator and risk taker. He gets away with it because he's so smart and charming......he's like a big kid....lol.....

Seriously Lammy if you get a chance read 'Yes Man'.......you won't be dissapointed..........it's hilarious.........Yes Man and Join Me are the funniest books i've read in years...... :lol:

fluffy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Lena » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:37 pm

I'm gonna read the book (ok I've been saying that already the whole week but this time it's serious!!)
Lena
A Christmas Carol

Postby lammy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:31 am

fluffy wrote:Danny's a British writer/comedian........his books are hilarious but more importantly he's an innovator and risk taker. He gets away with it because he's so smart and charming......he's like a big kid....lol.....

Seriously Lammy if you get a chance read 'Yes Man'.......you won't be dissapointed..........it's hilarious.........Yes Man and Join Me are the funniest books i've read in years...... :lol:

fluffy :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

What do I care it's not my career on the line .

If you say it's funny then it is . :wink:
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:56 am

you'll love it......... :wink:

Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby lammy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:08 pm

Well' see . It will be a while before if comes out - NO ?
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Next

Return to (2008) Yes Man