Jim Carrey Online

Phillip Morris is taken off the market!!

Discuss this movie. Filmed April 29-June 30, 2008
Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Phillip Morris is taken off the market!!

Postby cotton » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:11 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I guess they are going to edit it more

http://www.thewrap.com/node/1653/
Last edited by cotton on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby indy-jones » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:17 pm

"Considered a hot property in the weeks prior to the festival, the tonally complex film left many distributors scratching their heads after its Sundance premiere -- even though some of those who passed said they enjoyed it. The simple fact: They could not envision the film finding an audience."

That to me, is b******t!!! :x :x :x :x
"Snakes! Why it had to be snakes?"
-Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
indy-jones
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Postby cotton » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Does anybody else have a hard time understnding this article??? At first I thought it meant they were trashing the movie but now I am not sure. Please tell me what you think?
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby lammy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 pm

:? Yes that is not good.
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:26 pm

not neccessaily folks...........patience.. :wink:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby cotton » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:47 pm

cotton
JCO Staff

Postby 123Dan123 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:38 pm

This could be bad news or it could be good news. Maybe they need to go back to the drawing board and tighten some things up with some editing, and then try to re-pitch the movie.

Seems like the movie is a bit of a mess at times, so some further editing could help.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby grinchy steve » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:27 pm

Indeed, could be bad, could be good.

"Festival buzz is not always the same thing as mainstream success – even when big stars are attached." I guess we have the main reason right there.

When they talk about re-edit and stuff it often means they have to make it more suitable for a big audiance. Even more often that means the cut we get to see is less good as a movie and the directors had to cut of leggs and arms from their own child. And not realy happy about it. That sucks.

I want to see the version that everybody seems to like. I mean c'mon, big studios unsure about the box-office, that's understandable. It's independent. But where are the great minded guys (Focus) so afraid of? They can easily sell it as a comedy (it even fits the Apatow-thing that's going on), it has Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor ... this is way easier to sell than "500 Days of Summer", you know.

One thing I don't understand. Jim, Ewan, ... they can swim in pools full of money ... they are able to push it. If they realy loved the project thát much, do something. Just my frustration talking. ;)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby cotton » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:37 pm

I want to see the version that everybody seems to like.

yea me too

Should I have posted this in the distributer thread? I was panicking when I read it was off the market so I was not thinking.
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby 123Dan123 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:47 am

cotton wrote:
I want to see the version that everybody seems to like.

Should I have posted this in the distributer thread? I was panicking when I read it was off the market so I was not thinking.

No, this is fine.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby chips and dip » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:37 am

They'll probably have to cut it down more. Make it more appropiate for audiences. :(
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby sianlee » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Basically when they did the interview about I love you phillip morris, they said they needed to do some re-editing. Right? Well this is what that article is saying. Obviously distributors haven't really picked up the film, so there is obviously a few problems with it. The problem is, is that they cannot find an audience for it. It's not a kids movie, its not a movie for gay people. Personally I think it's just a random comedy/drama for teenagers to young adults. So anyway, they pulled it off the market probebely to do some more editing and try and set a full on target audience for the film so that they can market it correctly. Originally it was only supposed to be premiered for sundance in mind, therefore you don't really need to think about a target audience as such.

Anyway, it should pick up. They will edit it, in a couple of months perhaps will put it up on the market again and see if it gets picked up. If not, then perhaps it will go straight to dvd
sianlee
Horton Hears a Who!

Postby chips and dip » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:01 am

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I think this will be one of those movies that will do great with critics but will suffer at the box office so, in my head, it's a good thing this was a low budget movie.
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:34 am

Yeah am glad Jim had fun too making it... :lol:
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:35 pm

One thing about Jim, he's a risk taker.....rather than playing safe and being pigeon holed, he tries different genres....my guess is they'll edit ILYPM for the big screen and leave the juicy stuff in for the DVD....... :D
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Next

Return to (2010) I Love You Phillip Morris