Jim Carrey Online

Phillip Morris Reviews

Discuss this movie. Filmed April 29-June 30, 2008
Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Postby grinchy steve » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:58 am

... Getting a bit worried now. People I know who have seen it (and like Jim Carrey a lot) say it's the worst movie he ever made. Not funny and pushing all the wrong buttons when it comes to the drama. Ratings on all the Belgian and Dutch sites are mostly on the (very) low side and more and more reviews sound terrible. I'm curious how this will do in the United States.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby fluffy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:24 am

wow, some of the online reviews have been good, so he really is getting a mixed response........ :shock:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby 123Dan123 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm not worried, I know it's going to be good.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby mysticwryter » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm

"pushing the wrong buttons" I wonder when people use that phrase if they are taking in the extraordinary thought and attempt to do what Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor have done. As individuals we do not think a-like. It's just that we've been influenced by other people thoughts (it happens, it's human) the thing is, you have to look beyond that. Put yourself in a different pair of shoes and see what the movie is...kinda like American Beauty; you can watch it and watch it but never grasp the concept behind the movie.

If you haven't seen it (and I'm one of them) keep your thoughts open; you may grasp something in the movie that sticks out for you. Maybe it's an interpretation of an internal battle with yourself or with someone close to you. Movies can do that.....
Schmoyoho-oh-oh-oh accent on the YO!
mysticwryter
Bruce Almighty

Postby chips and dip » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:25 am

Where was that from? Or was that you?
To God, every living being is beautiful... Except for you.
chips and dip
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby grinchy steve » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:01 pm

So far, 'Phillip Morris' ain't doing bad on Rottentomatoes. 23 Fresh, 6 Rotten. That's 79% Fresh. Ofcours, that's how "Yes Man" started out at first ... so let's just wait and see. ;)
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby 123Dan123 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:55 pm

83% at rottentomatoes "Consensus: This fact-based romantic comedy has its flaws, but they're mostly overcome by its consistently sweet, funny tone and one of the best performances of Jim Carrey's career."
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby fluffy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:13 pm

yup..........i agree :D it's a lovely wee film.....
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Re: Phillip Morris Reviews

Postby grinchy steve » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Since 'I Love You Phillip Morris' is already available to rent on Digital TV in Belgium, this movie was presented as 'The Choice of Jan Verheyen' (he's a movie-director, studio-boss, writer ánd critic). He said this movie scores on every level. He called it "realy funny in a dark and naughty way" and claimed that "Carrey is underrated and delivers a huge performance in this one, might even be considered as Oscar-material". (I don't agree on that one, btw) Not interesting, but I'm glad someone is pushing this movie like that.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Re:

Postby carreypunkrawker » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:48 am

mysticwryter wrote:"pushing the wrong buttons" I wonder when people use that phrase if they are taking in the extraordinary thought and attempt to do what Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor have done. As individuals we do not think a-like. It's just that we've been influenced by other people thoughts (it happens, it's human) the thing is, you have to look beyond that. Put yourself in a different pair of shoes and see what the movie is...kinda like American Beauty; you can watch it and watch it but never grasp the concept behind the movie.

If you haven't seen it (and I'm one of them) keep your thoughts open; you may grasp something in the movie that sticks out for you. Maybe it's an interpretation of an internal battle with yourself or with someone close to you. Movies can do that.....

well said! whether it was you or not. very daring and it is an interpretation of an internal battle with myself and people close to me. I totally related to this movie on all sorts of levels. I found it enjoyable but while others didn't or aren't finding it enjoyable. I don't care what they think. It's what I like that kind of matters here. I'm only sharing this with all of you. I can't share these feelings that I have about this movie with others because they're not me and they're kind of judgemental. I'm different and I like to think that I have a more open mind. I may not be smart but I really felt compassion with the characters in this movie. It is about life though. I agree with Jim Carrey on that.
carreypunkrawker
A Christmas Carol

Postby carreylegend » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Haven't seen it yet but going to add it to my Carrey pile
carreylegend
Bruce Almighty

Postby Canadian Jayne » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:00 pm

I haven't seen it but I have recommended it to
some people who I thought would be interested in it
If you like Sex in the City (which I never watch)
would you like Phillip Morris?
I wonder?
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby carreylegend » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:35 pm

Canadian Jayne wrote:I haven't seen it but I have recommended it to
some people who I thought would be interested in it
If you like Sex in the City (which I never watch)
would you like Phillip Morris?
I wonder?

I eventually watched it a few months ago it was brilliant, JC once said he didn't like his hair dyed black and wish he hadn't tho he has beaut hair that dark brown colour he does it, so wasn't keen on that but the movie was ace x
carreylegend
Bruce Almighty

Previous

Return to (2010) I Love You Phillip Morris