Jim Carrey Online

The Critics on Horton

Discuss this animation. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

The Critics on Horton

Postby 123Dan123 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:20 pm

Post the reviews in here.
Last edited by 123Dan123 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby 123Dan123 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:25 pm

The screening is tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby omnipresence » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:44 pm

There was a charity screening in London yesterday, sadly the train times meant I couldnt make it but it would've been a great. Perhaps there will be some reviews from that up soon!
"You Cant Stop Me No Matter Who You Are"
omnipresence
Burt Wonderstone

Postby 123Dan123 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:14 am

The Critic reviews aren't out yet. This should tide you over for awhile. And I have no idea how reliable this is. So take it with a grain of salt.

[url=http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=29468]I love all sorts of family and children movies and television shows, and Horton Hears A Who is right up at the top of my list of favorites. Horton Hears A Who is a cartoon movie about Horton, an elephant who hears voices coming from a dust ball. What does Horton do about this? He listens! What is so very cool about Horton listening to a dust ball is that it makes you think about whether we could be encapsulated within a dust ball type world, too. With large elephants listening! Anyway, Horton Hears A Who is so delightful and funny and charming. All of your family members, of all ages, will enjoy this sweet cartoon. Horton is endearing and takes the world of the people inside the dust ball very seriously. Horton feels it is his responsibility to protect these people within this world from all harm. Dr. Seuss, the brilliant writer that he was, made this lovable cartoon so lifelike and real to millions in its time, the 1970s. I think that children today still love Horton Hears A Who and will watch this show again and again. Do not skip this one - Horton Hears A Who will delight you!

Rating: 8[/url]
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby 123Dan123 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:24 am

Hey was there a mistake about when the date of the premier? There was an article weeks ago saying it was going to be on March 3rd at the Manns Theater. But I'm reading at other places that it's going to be on March 8th.

Are they having the premier twice at the same location or was there a mistake when that article was written?
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby grinchy steve » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:01 pm

I don't know why it's taking so long, even on Rottentomatoes there ain't a review yet.

However, in Belgium the press-screening already took place in Brussels last friday. The first review available is not written by a journalist, but a student-animator. In othere words, someone who is going to make animated stuff in the near future. I'll translate the most important parts ...

I praise Blue Sky for the well crafted fantasyworld that is very true to the drawings of Dr. Seuss himself. And although not all his creatures look interesting, that's a good thing. The animation is outstanding and the expressions of a few characters are wonderfull, specially the eyes of Horton.

Jim Carrey is a spledid choice for voicing Horton and you realy can see his influence on the character. The eyes end mouth-movements are very "Carreyesque". Lead animator Dave Torres said that Horton realy changed and had a lot more expression compared with the version before the Carrey-job. Also, Steve Carell did a good job voicing the mayor.

Sounds good.
grinchy steve
Kick-Ass 2

Postby 123Dan123 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:10 pm

Here's the first review that someone posted at IMDB. I admit I'm going to be surprised if this does good critically--I didn't have high expectations at all for this movie. Anyways, now I'm looking forward to it.

Very Well Done Film

I'm telling the truth...i thought this movie would be a stinker from the teaser trailer and TV spots but this surprised me as well as every other person at the screening. It even surprised the film operator! Anyway, the great voice cast voiced by some great actors, Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell and even Seth Rogen(which is a nice change for him, from all his dirty cursing roles(don't get me wrong,i love him in those roles)). Dane Cook was a little annoying, but it wont really distract you from the big picture. In this film, Steve Carrell is the Mayor of Who-Ville, a town on a dandelion full of tiny people. Jim Carrey plays Horton...who is a elephant who finds a dandelion, picks it and figures out he must protect it because of Who-ville. Seth Rogen plays a rat like creature in his role. A supporting cast with Amy Poehler, Jonah Hill, Dan Fogler and much more. This film is great for little kids and a surprising delight for adults.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby 123Dan123 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:48 am

First Critic Review is good!

The well-worn story's shear poetry comes through in this masterpiece of kid's cinema. Perfect.

http://filmcritic1963.typepad.com/capsu ... orton.html
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby 123Dan123 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:35 am

Another good review from a Critic.

Pure Seuss, with plenty of Flower Power to spare. Not to mention kid-friendly advice that when paying attention to all the possibilities of this planet and beyond, size indeed matters.

http://newsblaze.com/story/200803090933 ... nment.html
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby omnipresence » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:03 pm

The film was awesome. I'll write and post a full review in a couple of hours. I hope you all enjoy reading it. 8)
"You Cant Stop Me No Matter Who You Are"
omnipresence
Burt Wonderstone

Postby 123Dan123 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:30 pm

That sounds good omni.

And two more reviews from Critics.

This CG-animated adaptation of "Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!" is a delight, brimming with colorful, elastic characters and bountiful wit.

To take nothing away from Fox and its Blue Sky Studios, much, much, much of this owes directly to the book published in 1954 by Theodore Geisel's alter ego, Dr. Seuss. So credit the filmmakers for knowing a good thing when they see it. The film captures all the charm of the book from its rhyming text to its themes and fantastical characters.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/fil ... &rid=10786

“After all, a person is a person, no matter how small,” is the famous line from the classic Dr. Seuss book Horton Hears a Who. The big screen animated version is stuffed with enough big Hollywood actors to keep you guessing who’s who, no matter how small the role. Horton Hears a Who is blandly enjoyable, clean fun and overly busy at times, but enough to keep the young ones briefly entertained.

http://www.popsyndicate.com/site/story/ ... ears_a_who
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby 123Dan123 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:38 pm

So far 6 reviews from the Critics at RottenTomatoes, 5 of which are good. Currently has a 83% on the Tomato-Meter.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/horton_ ... _order=asc
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Postby jimliker » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:27 pm

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby jimliker » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:40 pm

another review:

'Horton Hears a Who!': An elephant-sized endeavor

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8549414?source=rss

Horton Hears a Who!, with help from Jim Carrey and CGI, sends Seuss’ message loud and clear

http://www.clevescene.com/2008-03-12/fi ... -and-clear

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby 123Dan123 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Wow, so far 17 Reviews on RottenTomatoes and has a 82%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/horton_hears_a_who/

Looks like it could be a hit both critically and at the Box Office.
123Dan123
Lemony Snicket

Next

Return to (2008) Horton Hears a Who