Jim Carrey Online

Evan Almighty (without Jim Carrey)

Discuss other upcoming Jim Carrey movies (not confirmed/rumours).

Postby carreyd away » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:07 pm

quirky wrote:Am I the only one who honestly doesn't give a shit how much his movies make?

I could care less. Besides, as I've said before, box office profits do not measure success of a film. If you think about it, there are many movies that come out each year that people would rather wait for the video/DVD to rent and watch at home rather than shell out $15 per person to see a movie. Those tallys aren't accounted for. Most box office "bombs" are the number 1 rentals when released. So Box Office is only important to the movie studios, industry big wigs and executive grandstanding.... Cable Guy, which was considered a "bomb" is the most rented Jim Carrey film. Go figger...

I also don't understand why people can't understand why Jim wouldn't want to do a sequel, especially for Bruce Almighty. Bruce learned his lesson and "saw the light" to continue the story would be exploitive. It is mentioned in the film that Bruce was not only person God was guiding. The Evan Baxter scene stole the movie, naturally they'd want Steve Carell to reprise that character, he was in talks for it before "40 Year Old Virgin" was released. I can't wait to see it!
carreyd away
A Christmas Carol

Postby Michele Hernandez » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:14 pm

quirky wrote:Am I the only one who honestly doesn't give a shit how much his movies make?

But I'm thinking that it does matter, because for instance Sony fronted the money for Fun with Dick and Jane. They won't do it anymore if the movies don't make money.
Michele Hernandez
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Texas » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:21 am

Quirky,

I find myself in the odd position of defending my defense of Jim Carrey to Jim Carrey fans on a Jim Carrey website. Oh well...

There are some people who recoil at success. I suppose the thinking is that the expectations will be higher in the future because of that success. One thing you are right about is that we don't know Jim Carrey. But based on my observations Carrey doesn't seem to be afraid of his own popularity. He seems to revel in it. If he was afraid of expectations he would stop making movies that are wildly popular at the box office like the Grinch, Lemony Snicket or Bruce. At any time in his career he could tell people that from now on he is concentrating on small independent films that probably won't make squat at the box office. He hasn't done that. Most of the movies he selects have commercial appeal. As I write this I notice that your Dick and Jane logo/picture at the top of the page has a caption that reads "Domestic gross $100,000,000+". Someone at this web site put that up there because it is an accomplishment to be celebrated...right?

Popularity is not the plague or the scarlet letter. It is a good thing. Popularity in the movie world means I can share watching Jim Carrey movies with my wife, brother, and kids, all who like Jim Carrey as much as I do. It means that at work, I can share the latest information about Jim that I got from jimcarreyonline.com and people at work actually are interested. If Jim's movies weren't as popular, he would still be my favorite actor, only I might be watching his movies alone rather than with my family who would be off doing something else. I suspect that Jim knows what he is doing.
Texas
Introducing Janet

Postby quirky » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:55 am

You don't have to defend yourself against anything. People who post here are not given any commandments about what they are or are not allowed to say. That's what makes it a good site.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby mav » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:56 am

Yep. You said it.

I think he would intersperse the mass appeal films with films that appeals to him. As long as he gets to choose from the best.....there's nothing like a 'miss' really.
-
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby quirky » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:11 am

I take umbrage at people who are dismissive of Jim's accomplishments. I would think most of his fans would be at least annoyed if not PO'ed about those idiot comments.

I couldn't really ascertain to whom you were directing these comments, Texas.

It seemed kind of like they were aimed at the folks on this thread who don't care how much money his films make.

If so...one of the things everyone is pretty careful of is directing things at other posters.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Clemmy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:45 am

I don't care about how much his movies (or any other actor's) make... I am not out there in the movies for the blockbusters... I am there for quality movies... the ones that make me laugh, cry, think... the ones that moves me in some way.

One thing that makes me thrill, though, is when discussing movies I ask people: have you seen Eternal Sunshine with Jim Carrey? ... Some just say: "no because I don't like him, I don't like his antics"... then I'll go... "well, this is an independent film with a great cast. The plot is about...." ... minutes later people go... "uau... I should see it!!!" :wink:
Clemmy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Rubberface » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:33 am

As I don't fully masterize the english language, I won't try to go and argue like I could in french... but the only thing I can say is that Texas is too damn right! Quirky, I think you misunderstood what he tried to say. I don't think he was directing things at other posters; but to people I know, people you know, people we all probably know who, for a dark and unknown reason, don't like Jim Carrey and try to get away from his movies. Jim needs box office success to prove everybody "he can still do it". With movies like Eternal Sunshine, he's building a name for himself as a serious actor and that's great! But the primary goal of an artist is to create things that are seen and appreciated by the most possible number of people. And without a box office success, a movie has a lot less impact and without a "mouth to ear" reaction (which happens only when a movie really kicks ass), the movie, even if a big star like Jim has the first role, will most likely be ignored by most people.
You will say: "Yeah but, he still got the attention of his fans and that's the important thing!". But I sometimes hear people talk about Jim Carrey being "dead", and this is frustrating. Jim is someone who cares about his success, really much, he's said it numerous times. He wants the audience to like what he creates and to recognize his talent, and without some box office success, the people who think that Jim is "old stuff" are most likely to be right some day soon...

Sorry, it was a long message but that's all I wanted to say. That's why he needs box office success too. Ciao.
---=Rubberface=---
Rubberface
Mike Hammer: Murder Takes All

Postby Retard_Messiah » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:47 pm

Do Evan Almighty have a gay relationship in the movie. I have heard rumours about that. It would have been funny.
Retard_Messiah
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby jims_lost_daughter » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:03 am

BULL!
jims_lost_daughter
Yes Man

Postby Retard_Messiah » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:16 am

Is that rumour not true?
Retard_Messiah
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:53 am

not to our knowledge..............but then we are only privvy to limited snippets of info...........
and for the record i do agree that it's important for a big movie to make money at the box office........those blockbusters help the studios produce more art house based movies........
like Eternal..........and it's irritating but true that an actor is judged by the money he can pull in by the studios and his peers........Jim's had a good balance of movies.........he's got it pegged..... :wink:

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Jimenem » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:03 pm

All I know is I'm not going to see it because it doesn't appeal to me, however I'm not gonna be angry with anybody who does. It's just another movie I probably won't like. If it does well good for them, if it bombs my feeling won't be hurt. . .so why fret?
Jimenem
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby quirky » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:06 pm

Yeah....but how much "pull" does the lead actor have?

What if reviews are bad?

What I hope for Jim is that (and this seems to be happening) he takes roles he LIKES.

I was pleasantly surprised by "Dick and Jane".

I think he knows where he's going next.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Retard_Messiah » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:21 pm

I want Jim to play Evans lover in "Evan Almighty".
Retard_Messiah
Dumb and Dumber To

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Movies