Jim Carrey Online

Evan Almighty (without Jim Carrey)

Discuss other upcoming Jim Carrey movies (not confirmed/rumours).

Evan Almighty (without Jim Carrey)

Postby trishroberts » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:47 pm

I just read this on the Empireonline site, thought you might like to read

Carrell's first solo outing, The 40 Year-Old Virgin, grabbed $109million in the States when he was still known as Will Ferrell's sidekick. By comparison, Jim Carrey's last film made only $1million more, when he's supposed to be one of the biggest names in movie comedy. Carrey should have been begging for a co-starring role in this sequel. He may have just foolishly handed over his mantle.
trishroberts
Man on the Moon

Postby Niobe » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:05 pm

Just read John Goodman is gonna star too. Should help things along a bit...... :?

Steve Carrell is great in the US version of The Office too. :D
Everybody should believe in something.
I believe I'll have another coffee!
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Michele Hernandez » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:09 pm

I agree, I think this is one sequel that will do well. Bruce Almighty has such a wide range of fans, many people associate Jim Carrey exclusively with this movie (people I've talked to), so they may be curious about the sequel also. Not to mention Carrell's own fame.
Michele Hernandez
Kick-Ass 2

Postby Michele Hernandez » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:37 pm

And yet Jim said he's making movies that are interesting , and that he's not just in it for the money.
Michele Hernandez
Kick-Ass 2

I think he knows sequels to movies he start could make

Postby Canadian Jayne » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:33 pm

money in the sequel, but like you say Michele,
he likes variety,change and something different.
I think it's good that he can pass the mantle on to someone else.
It's called sharing the limelight.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:13 pm

och, but they don't take into account inflation, exchange rates etc....in real terms you can add an extra $50 million onto Bruce........it was made 4 years ago..........and a lot has happened in the financial world since then.....Jims still the leader...... :wink:

fluffy :lol:
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby jimliker » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:19 pm

Well there r ups & downs in every successful actor's career. Jim has many hit movies & awards in his kitty. Steve Carrell is just a beginner on big screen with only 1 hit. They cannot jump to conclusions like that. If Evan Almighty flops then they will say "its good that Jim didnt do it & he is right about his decision of not doing sequels......" :P This media is such a hypocrite... :roll:

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

Re: Evan Almighty

Postby Texas » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:36 pm

trishroberts wrote:I just read this on the Empireonline site, thought you might like to read

Carrell's first solo outing, The 40 Year-Old Virgin, grabbed $109million in the States when he was still known as Will Ferrell's sidekick. By comparison, Jim Carrey's last film made only $1million more, when he's supposed to be one of the biggest names in movie comedy. Carrey should have been begging for a co-starring role in this sequel. He may have just foolishly handed over his mantle.

Congratulations to the talented Steve Carrell who has one film that grossed 100 million. Poor Jim Carrey, with a mere 10 films that have grossed more than Carrell's hit,...whatever will Jim do?

Evan Almighty will be a hit, but if it comes within 100 million of Bruce Almighty's 242 million I will be surprised. Carrell is a tremendous character actor but to compare his one lead film to Carrey's body of work is silly. Place Jim Carrey in the 40 Year Old Virgin and it grosses 180 - 200 million. Put Carrell in Dick and Jane and it pulls in maybe 60 million. Carrey's presense in a movie (comedy) probably doubles the gross.

Supposed to be one of the biggest names? Bizarre!
Texas
Introducing Janet

Postby quirky » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:43 pm

Am I the only one who honestly doesn't give a shit how much his movies make?
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby cotton » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:47 pm

nope
www.youtube.com/user/jimcarreyonline
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby quirky » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 am

What I have gleaned from recent things he's said is that:

HE HAS SO MUCH MONEY HE DOESN'T HAVE TO WORRY...

And...he can follow his heart rather than some manager's advice.

He just wants to pique the curiosity and amusment of the people in the seats.

I would think that would be a happy place in which to be.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Texas » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:03 am

quirky wrote:Am I the only one who honestly doesn't give a shit how much his movies make?

You should. Carrey's big commercial successes is what allows him to do the offbeat, quirky films that have rounded out his acting career. Jim's box office numbers turns heads. If he doesn't have that kind of success, roles such as the one in Eternal Sunshine go to someone else.

Also, whether we like it or not box office success is one valid determiner of an actors appeal/popularity. I take umbrage at people who are dismissive of Jim's accomplishments. I would think most of his fans would be at least annoyed if not PO'ed about those idiot comments.
Texas
Introducing Janet

Postby quirky » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:03 am

Oh, Texas......why'd ya hafta throw down like that?

1) Neither you nor I KNOW Jim.

2) He's said a lot in hid interviews about EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

3) Roles like Eternal Sunshine WILL come along. He may have to audition for them....but his history with roles like Truman, Andy Kaufman and Joel are a wonderful resume to present to innovators ...

...innovators like Charlie Kaufmann.

What I'm talking about is the man. He doesn't owe anything to anyone. Hey....he had kind of a shitty life and real love eludes him. There are many of us like that. I went to see Dick and Jane and didn't really expect to enjoy it as much as I did. The universe will bring him what he needs....but it might not be in the form of a movie.

He doesn't need to worry about disappointing any of us....Hell, we're here now and he has done ENOUGH.....if he retired tomorrow.....enough....

He's a human being not a mannequin.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby mav » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:51 am

Texas is just being a fan
I'm not annoyed at trish's comments though I beg to differ. I admire him in the movies he makes not how much the movie makes, so hits by other comedians is of little concern. Jim is no flash in the pan.
-
“Although the world is very full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” - Helen Keller
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Niobe » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:11 pm

I honestly don't concern myself with whether Jim's films make more or less money than the others.
Some are gonna be obviously more commercially appealing than others, but I think he's past the stage of only being as good as his last movie's gross takings.
I think he is in a position to have a shot at making all sorts of interesting and diverse projects. Me? I am sooo pleased he didn't agree to do Bruce Almighty 2 and I hope he continues to steer well clear of sequels. I'd like to see even more variety in his future work, not just a repeat of something he's already done. Even if it was a success. But it is just my own personal opinion.
I can understand why some fans want his films to be bigger and better all the time, so he can be up there as one of Hollywood's top earners/successes, but it's not concern or interest.

If we all thought the same though, it'd be a boring world. :)
Everybody should believe in something.
I believe I'll have another coffee!
Niobe
Dumb and Dumber To

Next

Return to Upcoming Movies