Jim Carrey Online

Negative roles, anybody?

Discuss other upcoming Jim Carrey movies (not confirmed/rumours).

Negative roles, anybody?

Postby mav » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:25 pm

Just watched Bridget Jones - Edge of Reason. (So I'm a little behind the times) I liked the movie. But not more than the first one. The reason - one too many background scores (distracting) , and not enough close-ups (the first one had close-ups that gave it a warmth)

The intriguing part was Mr Grant. He comes across as such a creep! After a second viewing I could see some of his charm, but Daniel is hopeless with no hope of redemption! It always surprises me that actors would toss out their good image in the interest of a character. Jim looks like wanting to explore the same option. I hope he doesn't go too far :) The one thing I fail to get is that the movie very often is silently rooting for sympathy for the behaviourally deviant protagonist. Does anyone really sympathize with Daniel?

Or, for that matter, with the talented Mr Ripley?

-
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby quirky » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:24 pm

I sympathized with Daniel. I wanted him to be what he wasn't because, mainly, I felt rotten for Bridget...

Hmmm...I wonder what Freud would make of that.

Bridget is the quintessential girl in need of rescuing. I think lots of us can identify with that.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:12 pm

yeah.........i kinda see that too..............but being British i found it hard to translate Hugh Grant and Colin Firth to their characters.........we know so much about Hugh.........we just see Hugh......not Daniel..........
he's pigeon-now i guess...........
and Colin IS Mr Darcy forever...........but not Bridgets Mr Darcy.....Jane Austens Darcy..........yum!............lol
Funny though..........they both thought Renee looked fantastic as Bridget and advised her to keep the weight on...(i saw them being interviewed on telly)..........

fluffy :P
Fluffy
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby mav » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:45 am

I, for one, find it difficult. Especially if it involves murder. In 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' (I liked the film) I just could not sympathize with Damon's character. Where was the justice? But it's just a film...
“Although the world is very full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” - Helen Keller
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby quirky » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:31 am

You know...I read a book by the woman who inspired "Sex and the City"...just for a lark and there was not a single redeemable character in it. I mean, they were all exterior. Stabbing each other in the back ... what a bunch of meaningless words.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Conor » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:24 pm

Wow. I wish this had somthing to do with Jim. not bridget jones
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Postby quirky » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:45 pm

Well....he did "date" Renee.

I think we're discussing the value of dark characters.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby mav » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:01 pm

Yes, we are discussing dark characters along the line of Grant in BJD, Damon in MrRipley, Jim in Sweeney Todd? I have to admit it would be a lot of fun to play this character on stage. But stage is different. It has a raw, back to basics, alive quality. You don't have an image or fame to take care of. Anyone can play any character they are good at and have fun.

If Jim wasn't famous he would absolutely become so if he played a negative role like Sweeney Todd, even on the big screen. But now... would it not be like 'losing it'? Even though I don't have an affinity for scary movies, I can't help wondering if he can break the mould.....
-
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Conor » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:39 pm

ok thats cool as long as there is a connection.
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Return to Upcoming Movies