Jim Carrey Online

What would you like to see him do?

Discuss other upcoming Jim Carrey movies (not confirmed/rumours).

What would you like to see him do?

Postby fluffy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:30 pm

ok a serious moment :wink:
.......... this isn't about up and coming movies, but what i'd be interested in finding out, is what kind of film we'd like to see him in......

There's been a lot of talk about various re-makes....and we know he's doing a re-make of FWDAJ but there has been so much talk about Walter Mitty, 6 m $ man etc...............

i personally think Jims Biggest appeal is his ability to take new material and make it his own..........ok, he could make those re-make characters his own, to an extent, but we'll all be comparing Jim's re-make with the originals.....
Look at Charlies Angels................ok, big bucks but poor critical acclaim
What about The incredible hulk, Godzilla etc.......?....blooming awful! :wink: .

what drew me to Jim was the uniqueness of ESOSM.....it showed the humanity and compassion we had flashes of in MOTM and TTS.......
Jim suits pieces which enable him to reveal these flashes, ..........the dying segment of MOTM is outstandingly moving........

He's always said he craves individuality, he's quoted as saying 'he'd pull his lungs out, through his ass, to do something not done before'
So why remakes?..........

i'd like to see more of the ironic /bitter comedy........possibly more art house style.............
But then to contradict myself entirely i can even see him doing Shakespeare.........i wonder if he's ever thought about it?.....

Fluffy :) :wink:
Last edited by fluffy on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby quirky » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:50 pm

This is a fascinating question.

Was it Lao-Tsu who said (paraphrasing)..."You can never step twice into the same river for new waters are forever flowing unto you"?

Except in Hollywood, which cranks out a lot of sameness.

I'm too harsh.

I can say I'm really glad he had no involvement in the remake of "Alfie" because THAT totally bit.

I'm too harsh again.

My favorite Carrey films are ESOTSM, Man on the Moon and The Majestic.

Some people think The Majestic really bit.

They are too harsh.

I have no idea, I suppose an actor is totally at the mercy of whomever provides him/her with scripts for perusal.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:08 am

True..............but Jim has proven his writing ability ..........plus he can commision the best screenwriters to produce work specifically for him.............

perhaps i'm being too hard here.......but i think he'll swing from having lots of faith in himself..............to none at all.............my guess is he'll sign up for the lower risk re-makes when he's down or even flat...........

HHmmm.............it makes me think.........here's a brilliant man whose (probably)addled with the same doubts and confusions as the rest of us...........if he transferred that feeling to the screen we'd be looking at something quite simply outstanding.........something everyone could identify with......

fluffy :wink:
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby carreyd away » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:13 am

I agree. We don't need any more re-makes or adaptations of TV shows. They sell that crap by the pound with a one week expiration date. Charlie Kaufman is a maverick screenwriter, his movies are absolute originals (ESOTSM, Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind). There have to be more screenplays out there with substance and content that are funny, clever and not insulting. Jim has such a wide range of talent, he needs a movie he can really shine in, instead of being another cartoon character. (Although I do love his slapstick style, I think he has more to offer than just that.)
carreyd away
A Christmas Carol

Postby quirky » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:58 am

That's spooky Carreyd Away, I thought the same exact thing while I was ruminating.

Charlie Kauffman's ace, but do you want to be that actor in every Charlie Kauffman film?

Within the last few years, a book that has touched me unlike any other is "Population 485" by Michael Perry. It's subtitled, "Meeting Your Neighbors One Siren at a Time".

http://www.sneezingcow.com/pop485.htm

Here are the reviews from his website, but bear in mind, the first Kirkus review completely gives away the spoiler of the book...and it's a spoiler that you don't see coming when you read it, because it's autobiographical.

If a movie could capture the beauty of this book...it would be overwhelming.

I know that Mr. Perry had the book optioned for something.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:03 pm

Jim has such a wide range of talent, he needs a movie he can really shine in, instead of being another cartoon character. (Although I do love his slapstick style, I think he has more to offer than just that.)
[/quote]I agree completely...........i suspect as well, that emotionally, he's distancing himself from the cartoonish characters......He's onto a new phase of exploration........both in life and in his professional work.....
He seems to be more serious and grounded in interviews and perhaps this is reflected in his choice of ESOSM.........(then again perhaps he just wanted to try something different.......... :wink: .....)
But when you command such Huge paypackets the pressure to make it a box office smash must be huge...........the Cable Guy is the primary example...........20M and it didn't do as well as expected......
ESOSM was relatively low budget.........it was a risk.....and the risk paid off...........but without Millions and millions of dollars at stake......
If he goes for mega budget blockbusters then the risks financially are higher..........(check out Thunderbirds....lol)............

I still think he should give himself a break..........go for the more human interest based movie which isn't specifcally grand in production.......but will let his abilities shine without all the special effects..........one reason why we all love MOTM and ESOSM and TTS................
i think it has to be specific to the present day though.......he's a modern actor.........we see him as an innovator..........the Majestic, whilst good wasn't the correct time-frame for him i feel...............

anyway........i could rattle on for ages but i gotta go and teach my little horrors(darlings) about WW2............

ttfn
fluffy :P
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Filomena » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:43 pm

I'd love to see him do something that combines passion and comedy, if thats possible. I love the way he's willing to take risks and do whatever movie appeals to him. I hope his next movie is something completely different, something that shows us once again how versatile Jim Carrey really is.

I'm sick of all these remakes too. There is such a void in creativity in Hollywood right now.

I think they need fresh ideas and unique concepts from people like you and me. I've got a movie I've written that I'm trying to get people to notice, but I thinks it's a bit controversial. But I'll keep at it, and who knows? Maybe one day Jim will star in the movie I write for him!

Weirder things have happened.
Filomena
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby quirky » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:17 pm

the Majestic, whilst good wasn't the correct time-frame for him i feel...............

A pox on your house. My grandma was alive through that time frame and she really enjoyed the movie. The only minor thing that could make me criticize it was that it succeeded more profoundly in being a human drama than it did as a political one.

Of course we both nearly peed our pants over moments in "Bruce Almighty". We are easily amused.

I'm getting older, though...because I really tend to appreciate movies that I can watch WITH my 97 year old grandma and there aren't many of them. She's no prude, but I'm very glad she napped through a few scenes in "Sideways."

If you look at Jim Carrey's movies in totality, I have to say...it's a really eclectic, diverse and brave collection. Some of them were dogs, but that's how you learn, right? Do you regret the dog? There are so many variables that go into production that a movie's dogitude might not even be his fault. And then a movie which I, personally, think is a dog is someone else's favorite Jim Carrey vehicle....go figure.

I don't know that he should pay as much attention to what's likely to top the box office or get him an Oscar as he should pay attention to what he thinks he would like to contribute to.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

I've often wondered......

Postby Canadian Jayne » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:27 pm

why do many men associate themselves with dogs, as if they were or connnected to dogs. Dogmania? My fiance and I often have this conversation and I keep saying "You are not a DOG" he laughs at me.
Perhaps dogs are very simplistic and we women are too complicated
to understand that idea.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:16 pm

if you look at Jim Carrey's movies in totality, I have to say...it's a really eclectic, diverse and brave collection. Some of them were dogs, but that's how you learn, right? Do you regret the dog?

i agree completely..............all i'm saying is that i wouldn't want him to play safe out of a fear of failure..............he should stick his neck out as far as he can............he seems to be the only really original big Hollywood star...........the rest do tend to play it a bit safe....

LOL................as for the dogs..........that's the British influence.....since half of us are public school educated the idea of a putting a collar and lead on is quite popular amongst a certain minority..... :wink:
Jim probably enjoyed it!!!......hehehe :lol:

i confess i got my old :cry: cat Tiddles a flashing LED collar.....cars would stop to point and stare.........she looked like a spacecat......and i confess i wore it once or twice for a giggle............ :wink:

fluffy :P
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby quirky » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:29 pm

..............he should stick his neck out as far as he can....

That just makes it easier for someone to chop your head off! :wink:

I like GOOD STORIES...if it's a good story, then it doesn't have to ride along on the waves of star power.
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:43 am

That's my point .....it doesn't have to be some huge Hollywood production to be outstanding........... :lol:

furball :P
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby quirky » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:15 pm

So...since we can't be in the heads of the Hollywood scriptwriters, any good novels that could be adapted?
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby fluffy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:29 pm

i'm working on it................. :wink:

fluffs :P
fluffy
JCO Staff

Postby Conor » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:42 am

i swear this is not a joke. even though he doesnt have huge muscles like stallone it would be cool to see him star in rocky 6.
Conor
Kick-Ass 2

Next

Return to Upcoming Movies