Jim Carrey Online

The Number 23 (Review when you see it)

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Postby SA JCFan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:44 am

I saw it earlier this morning. As a JC Fan, I did enjoy this movie and loved seeing Jim in a totally new role and I'd gladly watch it again when I have the time. But as a movie goer, it was slightly disappointing because the number 23 was not totally significant as the movie made it out to be.

That was my only concern, this movie would've worked even without the 23 obsession because that's just what it is-- an obsession. The movie never fully explained WHY Walter and a few of the characters were obsessed, only showing HOW they're suddenly into it and that it's becoming a "curse". Walter finding all those coincidences, like almost everything adding up to 23, is startling but it only becomes relevant towards the end of the movie. Personally, this was the best part and it eventops Jim's angsty performance in ESOTSM but it failed once again to show WHY they became obsessed.

Despite this, I enjoyed the movie. This is a huge departure for Jim, successfully or personally, it's great to see how dark he can be. Thanks to this movie though, I will be looking for the 23 pattern for awhile.
SA JCFan
The Cable Guy

Postby Little Miss Carrey » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:27 am

I saw The Number 23 on the day of release and I must admit I loved it. <3

*** SPOILER ***** I'm putting this incase I babble about something lol!!!

I never been one for horror/thrillers/blood etc but I sat through all in the name of Jim Carrey! :wink: But I must admit I had a few hand over the eyes but peaking through my fingers moments. :lol:

Before I went to see this movie a while back I read somthing about the plot line of the film and before the end of the movie I realised that I new the ending. :? So I suggest if you've read into this film don't be disappionted if you know too much :(

But anyway overall it was a great film and I definatly plan to see it again before it leaves the cinemas!!!! I give 9 /10 ********
Little Miss Carrey
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby trishroberts » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:55 am

Can anyone explain to me why it has so many poor reviews on Imdb but also has a very creditable 7.4 star rating at the moment ???
trishroberts
Man on the Moon

Postby omnipresence » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:39 pm

I really liked the continuous voiceover throughout the film. That reminded me of Eternal Sunshine.
"You Cant Stop Me No Matter Who You Are"
omnipresence
Burt Wonderstone

The Number 23.

Postby Rhys Thomas » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:56 pm

Went to see it in creepy Crawley, West Sussex.

Impressive, but has freaked me. U C - I was born in week 23 of the year. On 4.6.65. This year I am 42. One of my nieces was born at tax week 23! She got a book about serial killers for Xmas. She chatted to me about Aillen Wuornos......Stop it! Stop it!

But you know what they say about death and taxes!!!!
Jim Who?

Never heard of him!
Rhys Thomas
Introducing Janet

Postby Little Miss Carrey » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:54 pm

Yeah it does kinda mess with your brain doesn't it!! lol I keepseeing 23's everywhere now :?
Little Miss Carrey
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby sprousefan23 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:58 pm

trishroberts wrote:Can anyone explain to me why it has so many poor reviews on Imdb but also has a very creditable 7.4 star rating at the moment ???

The critics must've had a bad week! lol
"No time outs. Only DEATH!"
"I don't like to brag and I won't cuz I don't have to!" Image
sprousefan23
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby sprousefan23 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:00 pm

Little Miss Carrey wrote:Yeah it does kinda mess with your brain doesn't it!! lol I keepseeing 23's everywhere now :?

I Kept seeing 23 everywhere even before it came out! lol
sprousefan23
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby MandyCarrey » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:14 pm

awesome awesome awesome awesome.. it was great i loved it!! i just cant put into words... great twists and everything and Jim looked totally hot!! especially as fingerling *drools just thinking about it* :D :D I cant wait to see this film again!!!
MandyCarrey
Yes Man

Postby SA JCFan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:28 pm

trishroberts wrote:Can anyone explain to me why it has so many poor reviews on Imdb but also has a very creditable 7.4 star rating at the moment ???

The number of reviews doesn't actually reflect the imdb rating. It depends on anybody who bothered voting. The most accurate site that shows reviews affecting the rating is RottenTomatoes.com
SA JCFan
The Cable Guy

Review

Postby mysticwryter » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:50 pm

This is by far one of Jim Carrey's best. I cannot give the movie away and it would be a bad person, fan and friend of this site. Basically what I can tell you is that, it'll make you think about the number 23 as you are leaving the theatre. ( I ran into S.R. 238 and S.R. 236. A radio station that I listen to is 103.3 *33-10=23*)
The movie has many different suprises in store and they all caught me by suprise. The movies does has some steamy scenes but nothing to horrible (smirk). But I am completly shocked and very impressed on how Jim can be so serious and play such a developed and complexed character. I think that everyone should see him not only as a funny man but a very serious actor. My respect for him has gone over and through the roof.
If I had the money I would see it over again because there are small things that catch your eye as you watch the movie *Take count of how many things or numbers add up to 23, it'll shock you*.

I love it, and you will too if you haven't got the chance to see it yet. I know this seems like a incomplete review but I do not want to give it all away. Plus, everyone will have his/her own perception of the movie.

All I know is what I can tell ya'll. Great movie! Freaky, and so psychologically twisting it makes you believe that it's true. The acting from Jim was remarkable! Very well studied, and protrayed.

just....QUIT SITTING THERE AND GO SEE THE MOVIE, DAMNIT!

p.s. My birthday is 8/1/86.....8+1+8+6=23. I was born at 7:30 pm.....30-7=23. Freaky, eh?
Schmoyoho-oh-oh-oh accent on the YO!
mysticwryter
Bruce Almighty

Re: Review

Postby sprousefan23 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:27 am

mysticwryter wrote:p.s. My birthday is 8/1/86.....8+1+8+6=23. I was born at 7:30 pm.....30-7=23. Freaky, eh?

haha listen to this (or read it):
All the letters in my name added up together = 23
I was born on the 29th of the month 29= 92 reversed 92 divided by 4 =23
I was born at: 8:15 am 8+15=23

haha it's funny cuz it's true! lol
sprousefan23
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby Little Miss Carrey » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:07 am

sprousefan23 wrote:
Little Miss Carrey wrote:Yeah it does kinda mess with your brain doesn't it!! lol I keepseeing 23's everywhere now :?

I Kept seeing 23 everywhere even before it came out! lol

My other user name everywhere is PunkFairy23! :lol: I had that before I even knew about this film...
Little Miss Carrey
Fun With Dick And Jane

Postby Flame23 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:03 pm

I didnt Get to see it <_<.i live in UAE and its gonna be here at April 12
I GOTTA WAIT THAT FREAKING LONG
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481369/
imdb so far gave it an 7.4 O.o
Overall form Jim carreys Movies it shows in that site
Eternal Sunshine is top
Truman Show 2nd and now 23 is 3rd
First it takes hold of your mind...then it takes hold of your life.
Flame23

Poor movie

Postby Tormanwolf » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:46 pm

I'm a huge Jim Carrey fan, Eternal Sunshine, Man on the Moon and Truman Show are among my favorite movies of all time. This movie was a huge mistake by Jim to take. His strong performance could not save this complete waste of a movie. By the end of the film I actually found myself feeling sorry for the actors and especially Jim. This probably seemed like a great idea and a perfect fit for Jim Carrey to take the lead role.
The movie was filled with holes, the script was absolutely terrible. The screenplay doesn't work and the direction was amazingly dull. I left the movie very upset last night. Was looking forward to this movie so much, even to the point where it was annoying people around me. There are some movies that you are able to look past all the flaws and you come away with atleast some entertainment value. This is not one of those films, it's not a guilty pleasure. Unfortunately it's just not a good movie. It was nice seeing Jim play the role though. You just can't win them all.
Tormanwolf

PreviousNext

Return to (2007) The Number 23