Jim Carrey Online
You are here: HomeBoard index Welcome Members

The LearningSomethingAboutOtherCountries&Cultures-Thread

This is the forum for members of the message board. Introduce yourselves or wish each other Happy Birthday.

The LearningSomethingAboutOtherCountries&Cultures-Thread

Postby -->Blunt<-- » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:55 pm

Yes, here is the LSAOC&C-Thread. We are from many different nations and so it could be funny if we talk about what we heard about other countries and what we heard about other countries are thinking about the ones in which we live (also prejudices, which could be eleminated here).

I have heard that Americans are very wasteful. They drive too much with their cars although they could reach their aims often easily by going or taking the underground or something like that and so they waste much gas. Then they use air conditioners all over the day, even when they don't really need them (surely they are off in winter). And so they waste electricity and polute the nature for their air conditioners are usually not FCKW - free.

Then I have heard that people of other countries often think that nearly all Germany wear leather trousers and eat Sauerkraut (so some people say "The Krauts" to the Germans). That is not true. Some people wear these trousers and eat this food so often but that's the minority.
I even heard that some people in America think that Adolf Hitler still reigns Germany but that's definitely not true. One can be very sure that Hitler died many years ago.

So what did you hear? And did you hear some points that I said and can refute / agree?
I'm qì, my friend.
-->Blunt<--
Yes Man

Postby carreypunkrawker » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:25 pm

lol. you're right about people in America. We are spoiled because of the air conditioning. lol. and we do drive a lot and we do pollute because of driving so much. That's about all we do though.

I agree with you that Hitler is dead. I read that he committed suicide some time ago. I also heard that he died a virgin.

I don't hear that much about other countries, but yeah, Americans do pollute. However, they are now making electric cars that won't be polluting the air as much. Honda, and Toyota have those types of cars out right now.

The major polluters are the smokers. No offense to anyone who smokes or does those type of drugs, but if people didn't smoke, air would be cleaner. Also, there are other slobs who just throw trash out the window. It's a $1000 fine or more if one is caught littering by the Feds.
carreypunkrawker
A Christmas Carol

Re: The LearningSomethingAboutOtherCountries&Cultures-Th

Postby carreyd away » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:08 am

I have heard that Americans are very wasteful. They drive too much with their cars although they could reach their aims often easily by going or taking the underground or something like that and so they waste much gas.

Sad but true. We are a Nation of spoiled, wasteful people. Products come in disposable packaging by the tons, we have become so dependent on cars it's hard to walk to the bus or train. The cities and state governments have given up on alternate transportation because of the costs and time it would take to build would bankrupt the cities involved. We are headed for a rude awakening!

Then I have heard that people of other countries often think that nearly all Germany wear leather trousers and eat Sauerkraut (so some people say "The Krauts" to the Germans). That is not true.

I think you can blame Mike Myers for that! LOL! He has a character named "Deiter" that was on SNL a few years ago that slammed German stereotypes. Anyone who really believes that junk is an ignorant fool. The same goes for the Hitler comment. Anyone who doesn't know he's dead needs to be admitted into psychiatric care! Blaming the Germans for Hitler is like blaming the Americans for George Bush. Not all of us are behind the man you know.
carreyd away
A Christmas Carol

Postby cotton » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:50 am

Then they use air conditioners all over the day, even when they don't really need them

Yes we are very spoiled and it is funny you should mention the thing about air conditioners. In the city I was living in last year they ran the air conditioners so much that a transformer blew up and we all had to go without electricity until the electric co. had a new one put in.
cotton
JCO Staff

Postby -->Blunt<-- » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:18 pm

Hehe, yes, that's funny. In Germany people normally don't use air conditioners. I don't know anyone who has one. But I must say that I own an air conditioner. But it is FCKW-free. I live directly under the roof and in summer it is very sultry here and then the sun burns on the roof so that you sometimes can't stay without sweating in my room. And sleeping is also very hard because of that. And so I bought an air conditioner. Now I can live better in summertimes.

I also heard that he died a virgin.

He had some wifes but I also heard that he was a virgin when he died.

Blaming the Germans for Hitler is like blaming the Americans for George Bush. Not all of us are behind the man you know

Yeah, I recognized that. There were many demonstrations because of the war in Iraque in many countries and also in America. I saw that on TV. Do you know Michael Moore? I have read one of his books (Stupid White Men). They are interesting but he is always telling the same things. He gives statistics (I don't belive in all of them) and explains how he has fooled other people etc. In my opinion much of what he says is true but some things are not so in reality. He says, for example, that there are hard prejudices against black people (I heard you say "non-white people" now because it sounds better, is that right?) in America. I believe in that. But he also says that black people are always hated, even if they are stars. And the black stars are only stars because America wants to cover the hatred with them. And I think that's bullshit. People like Will Smith, Cuba Gooding Jr (right spelling?), Samuel Jackson etc. should only be a cover? And the many black rappers also? Tz, tz, I don't think so. Moore also said that "Friends" is a right sitcom because no one of the friends is black. But he does not seem to watch Friends very often because there are often black people in guestroles. And there are/were many sitcoms where nearly all people are black like for example "Prince of Bel Air" or the one with Steve Urkle (I only know the German name). And because Michael Moore tells things like this I don't really believe much of that what he says for I can't and don't want to prove all of the things he says.
I'm qì, my friend.
-->Blunt<--
Yes Man

IN CANADA,

Postby Canadian Jayne » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:30 pm

Often in Canadian towns and cities we are charged for our garbage.
Recyling is free, but garbage sometimes costs $ 1.00 a bag or more
to dispose, sometimes in towns you get one bag free. You have to
buy tags to throw out your garbage.
In companies the Government is encouraging reducing garbage and
encouraging recycling.
I don't know if the States is the same.
Air conditioning is sometimes on in buildings where it really isn't
necessary. eg. today at the library the a/c in on or feels like it but it's
cold outside.
Sometimes they have a preset program, it should be adjustable according to the weather outside, I think.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby carreypunkrawker » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:16 am

yeah, i say that whoever believes that Hitler is still alive, is extremely ignorant and a really huge fool.

also, I am someone who is behind George Bush. I love his foreign policy and some other things. I hate Kerry with a passion. I think Kerry is a crook.

Don't believe things that Michael Moore says. He is all emotions and things he says are emotionally fictional. I wish his house got invaded by our own airplanes instead of the Twin Towers in NYC. I hate Moore's guts even more than I hate Kerry's guts.

and I don't mean to change the subject a little but Michael Moore is against the war on terrorism and the press is against the war on terrorism for all the WRONG reasons. they are just being negative.

I know people who have gone over to Iraq very recently and they saw how happy the Iraqi and the Afghanstan people are to have our military over there. the people in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the rest of the middle east have these strong dictators like Sadaam and Bin Laden and these dictators become SO STRONG that the middle easterners can't defend themselves or get rid of them. So that's when the US army and navy comes in. We come in and we help defend those citizens and ourselves when we go to war with these countries. We are protecting citizens in the US and citizens in the Middle East, and people are happy with it over there. they need us. Our troops and George W. Bush are doing the right thing for this country and theirs. So stop trashing Georgie boy and start trashing Kerry for trying to stop the troops from helping the Middle Easterners.

also, don't believe all that negative stuff that Michael Moore and what the MEDIA is saying. Obviously, Moore and the Media is bored and they have nothing else to do but trash the war on terrorism. The Troops, the presidents, Americans, and the sane Middle Easterners are fighting TERRORISM! The Taliban, Osama, Sadaam Husane, and their terrorist officers are killing people. The war is against the insane and the sane, the crazy and the uncrazy.

I don't mean to start a fight here, but I don't care what anyone says, I'm voting for Bush because I support the war, the troops, and what Bush is doing and saying. I don't agree with anything Kerry says.

I apologize if I've made anyone angry. please ignore this if it has made you angry. i'm sorry but this is how feel.

Everyone in this world is entitled to their opinion. I'm not forcing you to go along with what I say. thanks for your time.
carreypunkrawker
A Christmas Carol

Postby carreypunkrawker » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:23 am

But it is FCKW-free.

lol. everytime you write that I keep pronouncing it as "FUCKW-free". lol. sorry for the language but it just appears that way in my mind. Yes, I have a dirty dirty mind!

what does FCKW mean?
carreypunkrawker
A Christmas Carol

Postby -->Blunt<-- » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:51 pm

There werde some bad aspects during the war, for example that Bush said in the beginning "If we don't find any nuclear weapons we will not fight you." and than he attacked although they did not find any nuclear weapons. Also bad was that some American soldiers tortured their prisoners. But all in all I think that the war was good. Unfortunately Osama is still free but Hussein was captured and that is a very good thing.

lol. everytime you write that I keep pronouncing it as "FUCKW-free". lol. sorry for the language but it just appears that way in my mind. Yes, I have a dirty dirty mind!

Oh, sorry, I thought it would also be known as FCKW in America. I don't konw the full name but that is some kind of gas which pollutes the nature. Old air conditioner are working with this gas but newer ones not. I have heard that in America most air conditioners are still workling with FCKW.
I'm qì, my friend.
-->Blunt<--
Yes Man

Postby Riddler » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:10 pm

It would be very interesting to know, what do you people know / think about Finland and Finnish people?
Riddler
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Postby -->Blunt<-- » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:38 pm

I only know where it is :oops: . I could imagine that it's often windy and cold there and that there is much nature but I have not heard much about it :) .
I'm qì, my friend.
-->Blunt<--
Yes Man

Postby Cheryl Anna » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:20 pm

Yeah, my roomates use the air conditioning way too much. I turn it off-they rarely do. They run it even when I am wearing a sweater. "Those spoiled brats!"

As for trash-every month we get a bill from the city for water and curb-side trash pick-up. If we don't pay-our water gets shut off and the trash does not get picked up (that's gross!)

I do feel that people in So. Cal. do use too much water-lots of homes have pools. We do, but I am handicapped and don't like to swim.

I spent March of 1981 and March of 1982 at a town called Goslar, Germany. I liked how there were less cars on the road, no air-conditioning (it was cooler there than her north-west of Los Angeles), people used more public transaportation (I did, too), shut off their car engines when they waited for a train, and all of the people seemed a little more friendly and out-going than people here. Germany was a blast and so much fun. (Most of the people were so eager to speak English-which was nice since I was shy about my German).
Cheryl Anna
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Postby carreypunkrawker » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:20 pm

It would be very interesting to know, what do you people know / think about Finland and Finnish people?

I know that Finnish people yodel a lot! lol. I got that from the movie Earth Girls Are Easy.

no, I don't know anything about Finnish people. I can't really think anything about them either. I'll bet they're cool!
carreypunkrawker
A Christmas Carol

Postby -->Blunt<-- » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:39 pm

Are here any members from France? I heard that the French are very proud of their language and think that people who visit France should speak French although the French themselves can speak English. And I also heard that they don't want to have much music in a foreign language in the radio and so it's forbidden to have more than 20% foreign music or something like that.
I'm qì, my friend.
-->Blunt<--
Yes Man

I WONDER!

Postby Canadian Jayne » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:04 pm

I wonder how hard it would be to YODEL with NOODLES in ones mouth?
You may NOT want to try this, it could be dangerous to your health!
Might choke! I wonder if it can be done safely.
I've always wanted to learn how to yodel.
Any hints to being a good yodeler.
Canadian Jayne
Dumb and Dumber To

Next

Return to Members