Jim Carrey Online

Lemony Snicket - post when you see it

Discuss this movie. Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Postby Analia » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:12 pm

Well, finally I saw the movie last thursday,with some friends. I really liked it. It's very funny. What I really enjoy seeing how The Count Olaf tried to convince the children, Violet, Klaus and sunny he was another person. The special effects were great, I liked the scene when the children are in their aunt's house and it started to come down into pieces.
I was forgeting something... When the light turned out, and the movie started, I thought it was in the wrong place. But it was a surprising beginning.
:lol: :lol: Well That's all for now, my friends.
Analia
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Postby Riddler » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:30 pm

I also finally saw it on Saturday. Again, I had to travel 400 kilometers to see it. :evil: But I visited my friend also and we had a great weekend.
About the movie.
I loved Jim as Count Olaf and my favorite line was when he said to Sunny: " I´m sorry, I don´t speak monkey. Bruce Almighty-NA-NA" That was hilarious!
Also other characters which he played was so great to see because after all, those all was so.... Jim!
I could give three stars from five to this flick. I´ve seen better but also, I´ve seen much worse too.
Riddle me this...Riddle me that! Who's afraid of the big black bat?
Riddler
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Postby Retard_Messiah » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:18 pm

The film was very good with a little touch of Tim Burton scenographi. Jim Carrey made a good work. Fun to see him play a really mean caracter. The only disapointment in the movie was the changes from the books. They were rushing throw the the second and the third book to fast. And they forgeting impotant scenes from the books many time. But what a hell! It was a really great and different movie. I have never anything like this movie before!
Retard_Messiah
Dumb and Dumber To

Jim Carrey is my favorite actor ever!

Postby bluebearbuddy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:14 am

I'm just mad that he did'nt do "Son of the Mask"! I think they should do the movie over again!! It just won't be as funny without Jim!!!
I have always loved Jim Carrey! Every movie he has ever been in, I have seen it .... well almost!
bluebearbuddy

Postby Nano75 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:51 am

I think the movie's okay, Jim is wonderful in it, the costumes and sets are great, but still I'm a little bit disappointed. The story is very shallow, it doesn't meet the book's contents. The events are just getting attached in a row and the movie's not dark enough. Okay, it's a children's movie but it's just not very exciting. The books are much more negative and gloomy.
"Whatever makes you feel good when you sit down and do it,
is what you should be chasing in your life." - Jim Carrey
Nano75
The Number 23

I agree!

Postby bluebearbuddy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 pm

But the first one was'nt really a children's movie! Even still he should be in it!
I have always loved Jim Carrey! Every movie he has ever been in, I have seen it .... well almost!
bluebearbuddy

Postby -->Blunt<-- » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:51 pm

Did you read the books in German or in English, Nano? I want to read them but I can't decide in which language. English is the original and surely a little bit better but you can read them without much concentration in German. I understand English good and it would be no problem to read them in English but I think it's more chilly to read the German ones. By the way other translated books are also very good.
I'm qì, my friend.
-->Blunt<--
Yes Man

Postby Nano75 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:46 pm

I read them in English. The language is pretty easy, probably coz they're children's books so....
They're chilly in English, too. :D
"Whatever makes you feel good when you sit down and do it,
is what you should be chasing in your life." - Jim Carrey
Nano75
The Number 23

Postby roz » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:28 pm

i absolutely enjoyed this movie :!: :!: :!: :!: 8) :lol: :shock: :D
Jimbo was brilliant............. I agree that there should have been more Stephano and Captain Sham.... Captain Sham was the least seen......... :wink:
Jim Carrey IS THE BEST ACTOR I HAVE EVER SEEN
roz
Once Bitten

Postby Kristen Baudelaire » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:57 am

Yeah, I agree. Captain Sham hardly showed up, just in one little part. I wish he was in more parts. :(
Kristen Baudelaire
The Dead Pool

Postby mav » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:42 pm

The movie was good tho not my type. The only reason I saw it was cuz JC was in it....He was great, but I personally dont prefer him in negative roles with children...
“Although the world is very full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” - Helen Keller
mav
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby jimliker » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:01 pm

at last!!! i get to write my view about the movie. i saw it yesterday i simply luved it. Jim did superb acting. the theatre was full with both adults & kids equally enjoying the movie. i luved the youngest budalaire child, sunny a lot. the story was gud but Jim should have done more characters then the movie would have been even more interesting. :) i give 5 out of 5 stars to this movie.

here is the review of the movie on indian website:

http://dailypioneer.com/indexn12.asp?ma ... nter_img=6

\:D/
jimliker
Dumb and Dumber To

I saw the movie but

Postby lammy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:59 am

It was in spanish-due to that they were giving it only in spanish in the theatre we went to...and I have to say that it was good and entetaining.
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby quirky » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:55 pm

Ok, so...here's my review. I've never read the books. Before I popped in the DVD I was wondering how the snicket became lemony...and thought maybe it had something to do with an accident with industrial strength Pledge.

Once I was done with the movie I thought how different the viewing experience would be for adults vs. children and was impressed with the whole thing as a diversion for either adults or children.

I read quite a few negative reviews of it, and many of them focused on Jim Carrey's performance. It was hammy and over-the-top...but he was playing an ACTOR in a kid's fantasy book! How else are you gonna play that? Those reviewers really need to start caffeinating their beverages.

The scenes were very evocative of a Nine Inch Nails video ... with just a touch of Roald Dahl absurdity thrown in. There was this moment EARLY on, when Olaf was showing the kids through the house and he got to the tower saying, "Never enter the TOWER!"...menacingly...then he turned away from the kids, to the camera and sort of snort laughed without making a noise. It was so unexpected that I busted up giggling and had to replay the moment.

I wonder how many of his ad libs they kept in the picture....(this might be revealed in the extras on my DVD, but I gave up trying to figure out how to get to them with my remote because I had to start getting dinner ready). I loved the creepy acting troupe. The looked like extras in Michael Jackson's "Thriller". When they walk through the door looking for dinner...you can overhear Olaf saying, "Those women had stolen my kidney..."Image Familiarity with urban legends helped there.

I loved all the kids. The one that played Claus has sure matured since "Stepmom". He had a great line, "Puttanesca...that's Italian for very few ingredients."

The one thing that really didn't work for me was Sunny's subtitles. I just didn't think (though they were occasionally cute) that they added much to the movie and they were a little disconcerting. The scene with Sunny and the snake was, however, precious. They decided to glorify snakes and completely demonize leeches in this movie, didn't they?

What really DID work for me in the movie was all the anachronism. An old car with keychain remote lock. Old fashioned car phones. Not that I need a lot of help to willingly suspend the disbelief, but these details helped me to let go of convention and enjoy the action and richness of language in the movie. Hey...a flick that has "puttanesca", "lachrymose" and "verisimilitude" in it gets quirky points.

Fluffy, er Billy Connolly was enjoyable...as was Meryl Streep in their characters...but Jim Carrey stole the limelight...and he needed to because the whole film was powered through by the energy of his characters.

As Captain Sham he had me in fits of laughter with the peg leg and lines like "why didn't I wait an hour before swimming." I've recently discovered Gorton's shrimp noodle bowls and I think I will probably giggle at the Gorton's fisherman now when I remove the cardboard. Which will be awkward to explain if there are witnesses.

In short....I enjoyed it immensely. For different reasons that I would have if I was ten...but I think I would have enjoyed it if I was ten, too.
"When in doubt, tell the truth."
Mark Twain
quirky
Dumb and Dumber To

Postby lammy » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:19 pm

I rented it today-gonna watch it in English this time...YAYYYY...
Bah hum bug!!!!
lammy
Dumb and Dumber To

PreviousNext

Return to (2004) Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events